Home Forums Weaver and Plugin Interaction Will WordPress 4.3 affect the plugins on my site?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Robinjs
    Participant
    Hello,

This is regarding the fact that the ability to use PHP 4 style constructors is getting removed from PHP

I was sent this link by a friend:
    https://gist.github.com/chriscct7/d7d077afb01011b1839d

I don’t really understand it, but I do see that Weaver
    Xtreme Theme Support is on the list of plugins that presently won’t work. I am still using Weaver II and hence Weaver theme Extras. I assume that this may also not be supported once WordPress 4.3 is released.

What do I need to do before Aug. 18, to prevent any problems with my site?

Thanks,
    Robin
    scrambler

Thanks for the heads up.

Hopefully @weaver is aware and will let us know

Weaver
    Keymaster

It will be some time before this really causes any impact – PHP 8, actually, which is likely at least a couple of years away.

But PHP 7 will be release soonish, and then if your PHP installation has certain options set, this issue could cause some error log file messages to be generated.

The biggest change will be in WP 4.3, which will STILL WORK, but will generate warning messages IF (and only if) you have the wp_config.php WP_DEBUG set to true.

There were 2 Weaver based plugins with the issue (new releases will be out soon), as well as Weaver II Pro (and a new version of that will be out soon, too).

Nothing is broken, or will break anytime soon, for Weaver or any of the other many many plugins with the issue.

Just a note: why do plugins (including those Weaver plugins mentioned) have the problem? Well, in the case of Weaver, the problem was caused by the specialized Weaver text widgets. When creating a new widget, it is very common programmer’s practice to build on existing code – in this case the standard WordPress text widget. Back when the specialized Weaver text widgets were first created, the default WordPress text widget uses the now old-fashioned PHP code, so that just got duplicated. I’m sure many many other plugins with widgets have done the same thing.

Add the common practice of “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” for existing code, until this upcoming change to the PHP language itself, using the old-style code has never been a problem, and there’s never been a need to fix it. Now that WP 4.3 will be issuing warning messages when debug is on, these old-fashioned code bits need to be changed.

genecarnes
    Participant

I just upgraded my site to WordPress 4.3 and your theme plugin broke my site.  It was the Weaver Expreme Plus.  The minute I de-activated it, the site was fixed. These were the error messages I had at the top of my pages:
    Notice: The called constructor method for WP_Widget is deprecated since version 4.3.0! Use

__construct()

instead. in /hermes/bosweb25c/b2558/ipw.trailrides/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3457 Notice: The called constructor method for WP_Widget is deprecated since version 4.3.0! Use

__construct()

instead. in /hermes/bosweb25c/b2558/ipw.trailrides/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3457 Notice: The called constructor method for WP_Widget is deprecated since version 4.3.0! Use

__construct()

instead. in /hermes/bosweb25c/b2558/ipw.trailrides/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3457

Weaver
    Keymaster

You must have WP_DEBUG set to true in your wp_config.php file.

The latest version of Weaver Xtreme Plus has fixed this, so be sure you’ve updated to Weaver Xtreme Plus 1.3.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘ Weaver and Plugin Interaction’ is closed to new topics and replies.