Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Widget shortcode numbers in a mess

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Nele
    Participant

Hey,

we use Weaver Xtreme Plus and this is the problem we have:
    We have a homepage where we have created several widget with different columns. Normally every column has an id-shortcode like for example: [widget id=”wvrx_columns-57″]. When we create a new column there appears a shortcode as used. But the number of it always changes , when we  refresh the widget page.  It does not stay! The numbers which are shown when refreshing the page, are already given to other columns. So  we cannot show the content of our specific column.  The problem is, we have to guess what maybe can be the right number for our new column. This is tricky because we have more than 200 columns on this specific homepage. Why does weaver doesn’t create the right number for a new column anymore. How can this be fixed?

Thank you!

Weaver
    Keymaster

Weaver Xtreme PLus does not have a shortcode that uses “[widget id=’abc’].

At some point, Weaver started to recommend a plugin called Widget Shortcode (https://wordpress.org/plugins/widget-shortcode/) that would use that syntax.

It seems that that plugin does not seem to be maintained any longer, even though it has 90,000+ active installations.

But at any rate, the id field of that plugin shortcode uses a name generated by WordPress automatically, or a name provided by the content creator. It is a manual process.

I’m not sure what we might be able to do to help with your situation, but a link to the site might be useful, but I don’t think this is a theme or Xtreme Plus issue.

Nele
    Participant

@weaver, this is interesting! Yes, we use this Plugin: “Widget Shortcode”.
    Here is the link to the website: https://acf.de
    We use it especially for example here: https://acf.de/studiengaenge/akademisches-aufbauprogramm-leadership/

If you cannot find another reason, it seems, that we have to change everything, where we use widgets….

Weaver
    Keymaster

It is difficult to understand where something could have gone wrong.

So I assume your process is:

1. On the Dashboard->Appearahce->Widgets screen, create several instances of the Wvr Plus Flex Columns widget by dragging to the Widget Shortcode “Widget Area”.
    2. You fill in the content of each flex column widget in the Widget Short area
    3. You then copy the generated [widget id=”wvrx_columns-3″] shortcode to wherever you want it displayed on a regular page.

So what numbers are getting messed up? I tried adding, deleting, changing number of text boxes, and editing the different Flex Column widgets in the Widget Shortcode list. The content of the flex column widgets did definition change, and the ids (e.g.: wvrx_coulumns-57) did not change for me- they remained the same. I even removed a flex definition from the shortcode “list”, and the generated number stayed the same.

So I’m not exactly sure what might be wrong. The technique you’re using seems to work. It does seem that you’ve added a whole bunch of Flex widgets to the Widget Shortcode area.

It is possible that there are memory issues with that plugin.

And now that I think I understand how you are generating the pages – it seems to be a catalog of “Modulbereich” (which translates to “module area”). I would say that you’ve created an overly “clever” way to build a database that has become difficult to maintain. Either the widget shortcode has reached some capacity limit (it doesn’t seem that each flex column definition will have changed).

A better approach, and one I hope might be easier to maintain and edit would be to consider some sort of database plugin. It looks to me that your might really have the equivalent of a spreadsheet. One possible interesting plugin is a table manager: https://wordpress.org/plugins/tablepress/

You also might be able to use a catalog plugin, even an e-commerce plugin to treat each module as a product or product line?

But creating your own learning module (I guessing that is what you have – difficult to really know since I don’t speak German) with the wrong tool is likely to remain difficult.

scrambler

I am unclear of your creation process here.

You see to be using the weaver Flex column widget. Are you saying you are filling the content of that widget with widget shortcodes.

Widget shortcodes are mean to give you a way to insert a widget inside a content area.

You first create the widget, then there is an ID created at the bottom of the widget, that tells you what ID to use when you decide to insert that widget in a content area (or another widget).

So maybe you need to clarify your process, as you may have forgotten how to exactly use these shortcodes

Weaver
    Keymaster

@scrambler – I think we reached the same conclusion and cross posted.

My conclusion is that the wrong tools are being used to create the content. It was an interesting approach, but I think perhaps the Widget Shortcode plugin may have limits if there are too many widgets it is tracking.

Nele
    Participant

@weaver and @scrambler thank you for all considerations and helpful tipps.
    When we have created the website 4 years ago we thought about plugins like tablepress. But the layout in the smartphone version was not as we needed it. So I decided to try it with widget – yes, this is an interesting approach and I have never done this before and after that website. Definitely too many widgets!!! And yes, the conclusion that this amount exceeds the limit of the Widget Shortcode Plugin sounds realistic to me.

So however we have now to reduce the widgets and change some things on this website, maybe we use another plugin – we will see. Again thank you for your answers.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.