Home Forums Feature Suggestions Xreme plus: add taxonomies to pages

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Weaver 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

tix
    Participant

I know there is a plugin for this, but I don’t like to rely on free plugins. I also don’t like to mess with the functions php of the theme + I suppose that wouldn’t survive future upgrades.

Is it possible to add this in a future upgrade of the Plus plugin?
    Thank you.

Have a nice day.

Weaver
    Keymaster

We like to stick to things we are good at, and also avoid bloat in general.

Custom taxonomies are not very widely used by WP sites – other than those in plugins. And in fact, there is pretty good support for theme in the Weaver Show Posts plugin for taxonomies created by other plugins.

Support for custom taxonomies and custom post types in general is deeply embedded into the WordPress core, and are most often used by specialized plugins (such as our own Weaver Show Sliders plugin). There are a few plugins that allow you to build your own custom post types / taxonomies, and they’ve been around a long time. There is no reason in particular not to rely on theme.

We’ve found it is better to rely on a plugin that is specialized for a fairly uncommon task than add bloat to our themes. This really is the WP way of doing things.

tix
    Participant

Thank you.

I’ll take a look at https://wordpress.org/plugins/add-category-to-pages/

I don’t like to use free plugins because you can’t expect the devs to continue updating them forever.    

Getting used to the theme now & I don’t regret a second of the work I have with converting sites to it. 
    Next month I’ll attack parallax options for a new site.  Fingers crossed, will be some experiment since I have no clue about it 🙂

Have a nice day.

Weaver
    Keymaster

There are many free plugins that have been around forever. Even those no longer supported will most likely continue to work ‘forever’.

Parallax is much less difficult than one might imaging. The real trick is finding an appropriate BG image and sizing it to look good. Adding the parts, either using the Per Post option, or the shortcode, is really not that hard.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.