Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme WordPress 5.8 Compatibility

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Weaver
    Keymaster

Weaver Xtreme 4.4.7 compatibility with 5.8 seems to be 100% using any version of PHP from 5.4 onward.

And Weaver II Pro Version 2.2.4 also seems to be compatible with 5.8, although we no longer support that obsolete theme.

Weaver Xtreme does NOT support the new WP 5.8 Page Block Editing. This new feature seems to be the designated future of WP, but only a tiny number of themes are supporting this editing method. It is unlikely that Weaver Xtreme will ever support Page Block Editing as that support would essentially require extensive and significant re-writing of the theme.

WeaverTheme’s supporting plugins are also highly likely to be compatible with 5.8, but we’ve not yet updated the plugins to indicate that.

There have been a couple of reports of an error message indicating no enough PHP memory is available, but we have not been able to confirm that using the most recent versions of PHP with typical server settings. If you experience such an error, please report it on this forum.

Weaver
    Keymaster

Some more comments of WP 5.8 and the “future”.

Probably the biggest change in WP 5.8 is the beginning of the transition of WP to what seems to be called Full Site Editing (FSE or Page Block Editing). This represents a MAJOR paradigm change for WordPress.

FSE is based on applying the concepts of the Block Editor to the whole site. The goal seems to be able to “wrap” the whole site with the block concept and have any overall site design options trickle down automatically to every block available to the page/post editor.

Right now, you can see a bit of the future in the new way WP supports widgets. It is turning them into blocks. Seems to work

This will require new themes specifically built around that concept. There are a few of them available now, and I suspect that in the future, WP won’t even allow new non-FSE themes to be added to the theme library.

Apparently, it is very hard to have any sort of hybrid theme, and this certainly means that Weaver Xtreme will never be able to support FSE. And it seems to me that Weaver Xtreme has supported much of the concept of FSE from the start – it is one of the very few themes that will apply its settings so that styling shows up in the editors. Just ahead of its time, I guess.

I did find some comments in the discussion of FSE that disturbs me a bit – the folks that are currently behind WP seem to think that all these new features will make it easier for web designers to build sites for their clients. I guess the days of “regular” people installing WP and building their own site might be in the past. WP is now being designed for professional developers who build sites for clients. And I think this means that the design of the WP backend can now be targeted for “professionals” who are willing to spend the time necessary to understand the new complexities that accompany the block editor and now “FSE”.

I did see a sort of promise for someone on the group that approves new themes that non-FSE themes will continue to work. We will continue to improve and support Weaver Xtreme until it just becomes too difficult to keep up with WP’s ever changing theme standards, which is likely still many years.

scrambler

Thanks for the Update!

hkp
    Participant

@Weaver @Scrambler

Yes, today I went to modify a Widget setting and found it has been all changed to Block Widgets.

It told me to install yet another plugin to get back to what I have always had.

WP there they give the salutatory message:

Classic Widgets is an official plugin maintained by the WordPress team that restores the previous (“classic”) WordPress widgets settings screens. It will be supported and maintained until at least 2022, or as long as is necessary.”

“At least 2022”!!!

That is only 5 months from now… or 17 till 2022 expires. As you say @Weaver, this is certainly something which not going away….

Personally I feel this does not bode well for us aged WP users who are not trained WP developers.

Thanks @Weaver for your comments and thoughts on WP 5.8 and the “future”. Greatly appreciated! Being Warned allows preparation.

Regards, Angus

sameoldbob
    Participant

Thanks for the update!

“I did find some comments in the discussion of FSE that disturbs me a bit – the folks that are currently behind WP seem to think that all these new features will make it easier for web designers to build sites for their clients. I guess the days of “regular” people installing WP and building their own site might be in the past. WP is now being designed for professional developers who build sites for clients. And I think this means that the design of the WP backend can now be targeted for “professionals” who are willing to spend the time necessary to understand the new complexities that accompany the block editor and now “FSE”.”

Being one of the regular people, I can see what’s coming. I wonder who at WP makes these decisions.  Isn’t it the simplicity of use for anyone really the reason WP caught on like wildfire?

I just hope it takes a really long time before they truly destroy their legacy software. And someone else will fill the need that WP fills now.

Robert Hansen

ROBIN
    Participant

This is disheartening.  Thanks for the update, where can we voice our opinion on the changes?

GR8FL
    Participant

I keep posting here and it doesn’t show up. This will be the 4th time I am trying to reply. Have had this issue a while ago. Can’t understand why.

That block widget thing is a mess and totally broke my custom HTML,  It turned it into nasty ugly blocks. Was fortunate I could restore from back up.

Why WordPress thinks this is a good idea to force feed people this sort of stuff without warning is terrible.

I did also install Classic Widgets, but on a couple of other sites, installed Disable Gutenberg which eliminates the need for Classic Editor (and doesn’t have expiration warnings). So far, it seems fine.

Edit: It took once I removed the link to where you can learn about Disable Gutenberg. Hmmm…

scrambler

@GR8FL

When posting links, sometimes the forum SW throws the post in moderation without warning and it gets lost. weaver tried a few times to figure oput why but without success.

The solution when that happens is to include the link in a non recognizable fashion, like websitenameDOTCOM/folders

GR8FL
    Participant

@scrambler, thanks for the explanation and work around. Hope you are doing well. 😀

scrambler

I think it is too early to pass judgment on this.

When Page builders came out, it was obvious to me that in the long run that should/would become the approach to designing a site. Being able to use an Interactive WYSIWYG interface to design the Structure of the site, from global structure, to individual pages / posts seems like the natural and best way to go.

What I get from reading about FSE, is that WordPress intends to basically develop its own Page / Site builder interface, and if they do a good job of it, that could actually be a good thing.
    What that probably means is mostly the end of most designer framework or page builder plugins, as there would be no need for them anymore.  I consider Xtreme as a sort of designer framework, and so yes it means that themes like Xtreme could become unnecessary

All a theme would do is provide premade set of templates for specific styles (which is what themes were originally and still are in majority), but the difference is that users could always edit these styles using the FSE interface, which used to be impossible without a more elaborate theme like Weavers or designer frameworks.

So in the end it will depend how good or bad of a job WordPress will do in developing their site builder interface……

What is a bit worrisome, is that the block editor is no where near as good as some of the best page builders in terms of User interaction, and so it would inspire more confidence is they would first refine that part before thinking of extending it for the full site design concept…

I think the concept is valid, as for the implementation, time will tell 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.