Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Where ist the “Threshold for Slide Open Menu” gone in Weaver extreme?

This topic contains 43 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  scrambler 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 44 total)
  • Author

nilolaus
    Participant

Where ist the “Threshold for Slide Open Menu” gone in Weaver extreme?

nilolaus
    Participant

Because for a fool like me it is the easyest way to completly change the menu to mobile view befort this ugly line break appears

scrambler

Yes, this is no longer an option.

You may want to detail the reason / concrete user scenario why you would like it.

I was actually thinking it would be nice to have an option to turn off mobile menu for people who have just a few menu items.

But I don’t know how easy or hard it would be so @weaver would have to comment.

nilolaus
    Participant

Hi!

Thank you very much for answering.
    On our new site http://wp2.strafverteidiger-cuxhaven.de the menu breaks as soon as we size the wundow. This is ugly. I really do not know how o tell the menu to not break, so for me it would be the easyest way to switch to mobile menue as soon as the browser window gete zoomes to less than 900 px. In aspen there is an option called “Threshold for Slide Open Menu” where you can enter a value in px to switch to the mobile menue. 
    sorry for ma bad english.
    I think there must be any reason why the menu switches to the mobile version, but when I size the browser window thie happens 100 px to late at < 750 … ist should switch at < 850 px

Weaver
    Keymaster

The main reason that the mobile menu switches where it does is to conform to the switch points of sidebars. I believe it would be quite disconcerting to have the menu switch at a different point than the sidebars switch.

I do see that having a  “don’t use mobile menu” option might be useful for small menu sites, and I’ll think about that one.

But as for @nilolaus – do think a bit about what happens 99% of the time when people visit you site. I don’t have hard numbers, but very few users actually resize a desktop browser while visiting one page. So in the real world, only a tiny number of people will even see that switch when they view your site. Just a though.

nilolaus
    Participant

Hello weaver!

Thank you very much for answering.
    I am in Apple support since 20 years now, and I can tell you that on Apple system people size theyr windows a thousand times per minute. If they want to have more space on the desktop, they just drag the front window smaller. And I do not like that in this case they see a completely rotten menubar that is designed by … me.
    It was quite cool to let the Mernu switch to mobile-style at a sudden size, because then it had the same function as the desktop website of Adobe Systems.
    You see a demo on my former approach using Aspen at http://wp.strafverteidiger-cuxhaven.de. Unfortunately with weaver extreme I now lost the ability to switch the manu and the ability to set up a 4 row footer with very small effort.
    May be it it’s a good idea to expand functionality without reducing on the other side.
    Sorry for my bad english.
    Thank you!
    Niko

scrambler

I agree with weaver that people rarely play with browser size, so your menu is only going to be on two lines if people open the site on a small window which is rare.

You could do a few things to solve your situation.

Remove the padding on the wrapper ( at least left and right with the rule below in the wrapper BG CSS+ box

{padding-left:0px;padding-right:0px;}

Then you could reduce padding of menu items under a certain width with an @media rule like

@media only screen and (min-width:768px) and  (max-width:800px) {
    .wvrx-menu a {padding-left:0.5em;padding-right:0.5em;}
    }

The default is 0.65em, depending if you implement the first suggestion, you will need to adjust the 800px value based on the padding value

nilolaus
    Participant

Well … thank you.

On http://wp.strafverteidiger-cuxhaven.de/ you see a smooth animation while sizing the window, keeping my 20px borders white. No matter what i do, the menu at http://wp2.strafverteidiger-cuxhaven.de is jumping, either it gets compressed or jumping into a second line, jumping between different borders, …
    The function “Threshold for Slide Open Menu” in aspen was exactly the right thing. All I had to do is writing a number into a box. May be tomorrow I will try to find out what exactyl it was doing and may be I will find a way to migrate it to weaver X.
    If by chance you know what it was and how to insert it into weaver x … would be cool you could tell my. On Apple systems the behavior of windows that are sized is very important.
    Thank you!
    Niko

scrambler

You don’t seem to have added the media rule I gave you (below). The rule needs to go in Main Options > Fonts & Custom > Custom CSS Rule box

@media only screen and (min-width:768px) and  (max-width:790px) {
    .wvrx-menu a {padding-left:0.6em;padding-right:0.6em;}
    }

nilolaus
    Participant

Hi!

Thank you for trying to help. Well  – I did add this rule but unfortunately without success. The menu still keeps jumping.  There seems to be no easy way to solve tis problem. Think I have to live with it or may be I will find the time to develop a solution. Think I have to, because even knowing that there is a state my website looks shitty on every browser, drives me crazy. And I would feel the same, if nobody ever would size a window. of course I have to respect the decision of the developer to eliminate the useful function of defining a threshold for switching to mobile mode. I am sure there were reasons.
    Thank you!
    Niko

scrambler

The rule does work if implemented properly. If you leave it in I can see why it was not doing its job.

I see that right now you went for smaller text which works too, and could also be put in an @media rule so that it is only active in the small widow of problematic browser width

nilolaus
    Participant

Thank you – I appreciate this!

Even I fondeld a lot with the values I did not find a combination that worked where the content has to have 850 pixels width and on every device has to have a padding of at least 20 px. My be I am too dump for this. sorry. Your @screen codelines are in again.

nilolaus
    Participant

May be you want to have a look at wp.strafverteidiger-cuxhaven.de that works perfect on Safari, Chrome Firefox and iPad-MINI. Couldn’t jet check it on other devices.

scrambler

If you are keeping the 20px right and left padding, it looks like the good values are

@media only screen and (min-width:768px) and  (max-width:860px) {
    .wvrx-menu a {padding-left:0.4em;padding-right:0.4em;}
    }

nilolaus
    Participant

Hello – Thank you!

This is what happens: kram.longmansleep.com/zz_nicht_musik/FF-RA.mov

scrambler

The max-width value may need to be increased a bit. The max-width value decides when the reduced padding gest applied.

On IE, 860px was soon enough, in your video it is still a bit too late, so just increase that value a bit until it works on all browser you care for

@media only screen and (min-width:768px) and  (max-width:880px) {
    .wvrx-menu a {padding-left:0.4em;padding-right:0.4em;}
    }

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.