Home Forums Archived Forums Mobile View what’s involved in a mobile view

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    swmagic999
    Participant

Hi great wizards,

I’ve noticed that all of my sites (mostly weaverpro based) are all compliant with Google Mobile-friendly test page.

But what about all those sites that fail that test?

What did you do, Bruce, to make all the weaver sites mobile friendly?  Is it possible to change other sites that are NOT mobile friendly and make them so without a total rewrite?  What IS INVOLVED?

I’ve been studying the pieces via Google Devtools to begin the chase (https://developer.chrome.com/devtools/docs/dom-and-styles)

But is there some guiding light?  Some Holy Grail to make the changes for the old curmudgeon sites?

Input is MOST welcome!!!

Paul

scrambler

Without details of what is supposed to not be mobile friendly and a link to the site in question, there is not much to say.

The theme is fully responsive (unless in weaver II you checked fixed width and or disabled mobile), but it is possible for to you create content inside that is not.

swmagic999
    Participant

Well, I know that one of the tests is the the viewport setting which doesn’t seem to exist on those sites which are not mobile friendly.  Example:

Google now has specific requirements that they want (from their new Mobile Friendly test page at https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly

and here is a site that doesn’t conform and the reasons Google gives: https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly/?url=smiledentistry.us

but I used Google’s devtools (better than firebug) to poke around.  I fixed the viewport issue by adding this line:
     <meta name=”viewport” content=”width=device-width, initial-scale=1″>

but not sure what to do to pick off the next requirement “Text too small to read”.  Ideas?

Paul

Weaver
    Keymaster

Sorry, @swmagic999, but smiledentistry.us is not even a WordPress site, let alone using Weaver.

If you want a mobile friendly site, the easiest way is to simply make it a WordPress site using Weaver Xtreme!

swmagic999
    Participant

Thanks Bruce.  Does Xtreme let me convert an existing site?  Are there tools to accelerate the conversion process?  Do I start over with a site like I mentioned?

Weaver
    Keymaster

Converting a non-WordPress site to a WordPress site is pretty much a manual process. It doesn’t matter what the theme is, although some fairly unique Weaver Xtreme features (like Page with Post) can make certain sites easier to convert.

But a major conversion like that is a big commitment, and will require work. There might be tutorials or other tools available for that, but one of the big features of WordPress is that the core is used to manage your content, while themes control the look. So in the future, you can get significant site look redesign while not having to go through the big content conversion like you must when moving to a WP site from a non-WP site.

But of course, while you are at it, it is an opportunity to end up with a significantly better and enhanced site, and it will usually be worth the effort.

I think it is pretty much a cut an paste prospect – copy the original and paste into a WP Page or Post as appropriate.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘ Mobile View’ is closed to new topics and replies.