Home Forums Weaver Show Posts & Show Sliders What does Retina ready mean and do I need to do anything special loading images

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ecat 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

ecat
    Participant

I am developing a painting website using Weaver Xtreme and the Weaver Show slider.  Before the user loads all her images, I want to be sure I don’t need to do anything special to be Retina ready.  I know the theme is supposed to be retina ready, but not sure what that means.  If I plan on showing images 640 wide should I upload them as 1280?

Weaver
    Keymaster

Showing images only 640px wide is a bit skimpy for the web these days – depending on how they are used, of course.

The trend is to show big images (including as bg images) on wide screens (like 1900px or more).

But with WPs srcset image loading, the need for a Retina-ready plugin has been minimized.

I think best practice is to carefully choose your image sizes for the image library for thumbnail, medium, and large.

If you think you will always keep your site restricted to small-ish images, then use a smaller number for large.

What I do for maximum flexibility is to use something like 1600px for large, 800 or 900 for medium, and then have maybe 300 for thumbnails. Then I upload an image that is near 1900px wide, or even more. So then the media library will have 4 different versions of the image stored – 300, 900, 1600, and the original 1900 (called full size). If you have an full width pages (the most common design pattern these days), then the 1900px full image will usually automatically be displayed and look best on wider displays. On mobile devices the tumbnail or mediaum image will be automatically displayed, optimizing download speeds. You can specify large or medium if you need to when inserting an image.

But between people expecting to seen nice high resolution images on their desktops, and even most modern laptops, it is better to design for bigger images. The speeds of even modest hosting companies is quite adequate to handle larger images and deliver a snappy load.

And for mobile devices, WordPress will automatically provide information to the browser so it loads the smallest image size as needed.

All these apply to medial library images. Manually inserted image urls are a different story – none of the automatic size specifications are normaly included, unless you do that yourself manually – a challenging task.

ecat
    Participant

Thank you for such a clear explanation and detailed suggestions.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.