Home Forums Showcase Website built with added page builder plugin

This topic contains 20 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  DW14 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 21 total)
  • Author

lambert
    Participant

Someone asked a question on this forum whether weaver is compatible with page builder plugins. I did some research and found that there are some good ones, and some particularly nasty ones out there. I did however find one which works brilliantly with weaver, has some awesome features, and above all is free!

Have a look at the site origin plugin. I have built this website you can have a look at (almost completed), but I have just scratched the surface of it’s capabilities 🙂

http://coachingwithcuriosity.com

scrambler

Site origin is the one we have heard the most, and is definitely a nice one.
    It is the kind of UI you would want for Xtreme widget area Custom widget width functionality 🙂

Kieffer
    Participant

There also is a new free one called Elementor and is wysiwyg, awesome.

Regards
    John

Bobthearch
    Participant

I use SiteOrigins Page Builder as well.  It’s the easiest way to place widgets in the main content area, and without a doubt the easiest way align content side-by-side.

Something like this would be very difficult without it (non-commercial website with no ads):
    http://placesandpics.com/
    The entire page is widgets placed into rows, with rows having 1, 2, 3, or 4 widgets side-by-side.  Centering and spacing is easy.

I use it also on the home page of this company website (that always seems to be a work in progress):
    http://stolarglobal.com/

lambert
    Participant

Parallax also works on iPhone and iPad I discovered

Otto
    Participant

#Lambert  How did you get WeaverX Parallax working on Ios? On my site it doesn’t work: huisje-wageningen.nl

Weaver
    Keymaster

I highly recommend Elementor. It is very new still – not as mature as Site Origins, but has a much nicer interface that takes advantage of the Customizer interface and delivers essentially instant WYSIWYG update of the page you are working on.

Kissmet
    Participant

I just installed Elementor and trying to use their editor to get around the auto correct so I can display my aStore, but it won’t let me edit the Lorem Ipsum stuff. When I hover over the edit button, instead of it being clickable there is only the 4 arrow move.

lambert
    Participant

#Otto Pagebuilder has it’s own parallax built in

adaba063
    Participant

I have just worked with both SiteOrigin and with Elementor.

In my mind Elementor is far superior. Help was easy to find and in a matter of minutes I had a test page up and running.

http://mytestzone.derrallbellaire.info/elementor-test-170426/

after playing with it a little bit more, I was finally able to get the effect I wanted, which was a full screen image that was responsive to mobile and tablet

http://mytestzone.derrallbellaire.info/elementor-170427/

my experience with SiteOrigin, which began before I found Elementor, was filled with frustration, somehow I got some info to use the “raw” template, but it seems that the “raw” template blocks the full screen image

http://mytestzone.derrallbellaire.info/siteorigin-170503-blank/

it was not until I changed to the “blank” template and manually cancelled out the header, menu, and widgets, that the result was somewhat satisfactory,

it will take a lot tinkering with css styling to get the rows and widgets positioned as I would like, something that was so simple to do in Elementor

hope this helps,

scrambler

I dont really see the need for a page builder to do something as simple as that but I guess the UI may make it easier if you do not want to deal with any custom CSS 🙂

Weaver
    Keymaster

I continue to like Elementor.

We’ve had some reports that not all page builders (sorry, don’t know specific ones) don’t work correctly with the basic standard WordPress search function. Elementor DOES work for searches.

Maureen
    Participant

Question: would a page builder make it easier for site owners who want to maintain and update their sites to add content, widgets, sidebars, etc?

Weaver
    Keymaster

I’m not sure. They are both “easy” and “hard”. I think you can start with a no-sidebar page, and add “sidebars” and widgets with the page builder.

But there still is a substantial learning curve, I think. You have to know a few critical things:

• How to use the page builder to add blocks to your page – columns, rows, widget areas, etc. There isn’t just one content area like you get with a standard page or post.
    • Which of the page builder building blocks will do what you want.
    • Handling images – you don’t just embed an image, you have to create a space holding block, then add the image.

All of this can be a bit overwhelming. They are pretty good at letting a not-overly-technical user build creative designs, but there I think there will always be a perhaps overly flexible design component that may just be too much for many users. It will take a learning curve, but maybe having everything in one place instead of add content here, build sidebars there, and so on in the traditional approach, might be easier for some.

My own suspicion is that they have too much flexibility. The old model of creating a page with content using the somewhat clunky word-processor like tinyMCE editor just might be an easier and familiar path to regular editors/contributors creating content.

DW14
    Participant

Just looking at Elementor now as with Siteground hosting there is a 20% off code for the Pro version.

So in essence, it doesn’t compete with Weaver Xtreme as such? It lets you create the page all in one editor with a better ‘word-processor’ for instance?

How does it work with Weaver sidebars and widgets?

Weaver
    Keymaster

The most common way is to use a page designer for the content of the page. In general, that means the rest of the page layout is controlled by the theme. So, the content is from the page designer, the header, footer, and sidebars are determined by the theme (Weaver Xtreme).

You can create any page with no sidebars (or even header and footer) using Weaver Xtreme per-page options. (Or even globally) Most page builders will let you create its own sidebars, but these are not under direct control of the theme.

And usually, much of the visual effects (fonts, colors, etc.) from a page builder will use the defaults of the theme.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.