Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Weaver Xtreme Version 6 Beta Versions

• This topic has 12 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by hkp.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Weaver
    Keymaster

We will soon be releasing a new verison of Weaver Xtreme and the Weaver Theme Support.

There are several changes, but the two major ones are:

1. Self-hosting of Google fonts. You won’t need a plugin for EU Google Font compliance.
    2. All theme generated CSS styling is now included inline instead of using a file. This is generally faster and complies with WP Theme requirements.

The downloads are available here. (Click on the “Beta Versions” title to open the page.)

Beta Versions

These versions have been tested on a significant number of existing Weaver Xtreme sites and seem very stable.

hkp
    Participant

@Weaver
    FYI
    Just installed Beta V6.0.3 over current.
    All worked 100% and no issues.
    Regarding speed and page size etc. from Pingdom Tools
    Before:
    Performance: 79
    Page Size: 449.5 Kb
    Load Time: 1.94 s
    Requests: 44
    After:
    Performance: 79
    Page Size: 448.0 Kb
    Load Time: 1.57 s
    Requests: 43
    A noticeable improvement in speed immediately without doing any tweaks.

Thanks so much! Greatly appreciated!
    Angus

GR8FL
    Participant

>>All theme generated CSS styling is now included inline instead of using a file.

Does this mean we will not be able to go to Appearance > Weaver Xtreme Admin > Fonts & Customs to drop our custom CSS? I do not use the WP customizer.

scrambler

No change on the functionality, you can still add custom CSS the same way as usual.

It only affects where the CSS is on the site. instead of the Custom CSS being in a separate file, it is in line with the site HTML.

Private Reply
    hkp
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Weaver
    Keymaster

Any post I look at using Chrome on my iPhone (connected by WiFi) all load instantly.

When using a 2-bar LTE connection, there is a bit of a delay. I really think it is a phone bandwidth issue. There is nothing really changed in how things get loaded other that the inline CSS which in fact should make the overall thing load faster.

I really don’t have anything to even look at that would make phone loading any different from V5 to V6. Didn’t really change any of that code. It all is CSS anyway – content doesn’t change from phone to desktop.

There might be some Javascript controlling some of the menu layouts that might also be more apparent due to a slower connection.

Weaver
    Keymaster

@hkp:

Editor styling: Did you also install the updated version of the Theme Support?

Some of the changes did involve styling of the Classic Editor, and it is possible that formatting of links got broken. I will try to see if I can track that down. The Classic Editor requires different styling than the block editor.

Note that there are really very few WP themes that actually bother to try to style either the Classic Editor of the Block editor to match all the styling of the theme, partly because it is not really that easy to do. The Classic Editor will not work with in-line styling – it in fact does require that its styling originate in a file. Thus the requirement for the Theme Support plugin to get matching styling.

hkp
    Participant

@Weaver

Thanks indeed!

1) FYI, we use:

“Advanced Editor Tools” – classic editor (TinyMCE) 5.6.0. No blocks.
    “Classic Editor” 1.6.2
    “Weaver Xtreme Theme Support” 5.0.2

Is there is a later Support plugin I can try later?

2) FYI, we use a Child Theme (to customize Comment Form), so have now tested WX 6.0.3 alone. Same issues show, so can confirm the Child Theme is not an issue.

3) I also noticed that Header font size and line-heights change on phones on WX 6.0.3. as has the thickness of the horizontal line on the static homepage. (I guess due to a missing CSS file.)

See photo: https://www.dropbox.com/s/eqle4n6mnjeam34/HKP-3.jpg

4) I have now reverted site to WX 5.0.7. but see now that the previous issue of the ‘flash’ of the menu titles, has not gone away.

You may be right that it is simply a speed issue issue.

I’ve seen similar in the past when, instead of the menu titles flashing, the phone momentarily showed the two columns of the desktop page. That I learned was a possible issue with plugin cache settings, so will have a look at that, since WX 5.0.7 is similarly affected.

Regards and thanks and Merry Christmas to you all!

hkp
    Participant

@Weaver
    Sorry, my oversight.
    Please disregard 3) above:
    3) I also noticed that Header font size and line-heights change on phones on WX 6.0.3. as has the thickness of the horizontal line on the static homepage. (I guess due to a missing CSS file.)
    See photo: https://www.dropbox.com/s/eqle4n6mnjeam34/HKP-3.jpg

I have just realised that the CSS for the Header Phone customization is on the Child style.css file, so it will not show on the WX 6.0.3 version site header.

Still working on the rest.

Regards and thanks!

Weaver
    Keymaster

That information may be useful. It should not matter which version of Weaver Xtreme you use, the child should work either way.

So it is possible the style sheet loading code is failing to load the child’s style.css.

hkp
    Participant

@Weaver

😊 I think you have misunderstood what I meant regarding the testing.

1)  The reason I cancelled the above comment 3), is because I forgot there is a difference in our Header font size and line spacing when using only “WX5.0.7 or WX6.0.3” and when using “WX5.0.7+Child or WX6.0.3+Child”, when the Child style.css file loaded.

When I took the HKP-3.jpg, I forgot I was using only WX5.0.7, and not WX5.0.7+Child for the image.  Sorry for that.

So, I can confirm your comment, “it should not matter which version of Weaver Xtreme you use, the child should work either way” is CORRECT, and that is how WX6.0.3 is working.

I can also confirm your comment, “So it is possible the style sheet loading code is failing to load the child’s style.css.” is not correct, as far as I can see.

Thus I would say, my WX4-Child has no issues, and works 100% as you designed.

2)  Regarding the flashing display of the desktop menu titles on a phone, this occurs around the world.  Have received video confirmation.

Though I have reverted to WX5.0.7 and tested all plugins, and reloaded WP6.1.1, sadly it still persists and I have run out of ideas at the moment.

3)  However, I did discover that WP6 has made great improvements in WP optimization.

When turned off my “Fast Velocity Minify” plugin, our site speed improved from 1.94s to 1.62s.  A huge improvement.

I have now deleted that plugin, in which all WX files had to be whitelisted, so as not to be minified and cause problems.

So, I now continue to use only the “Cache Enabler” plugin, which has no optimization options other than “Y/N : Minify HTML in cached pages including/excluding inline CSS and JavaScript.”

I now just “minify HTML in cached pages, including inline CSS and JavaScript”, which seems optimal for the site.

On or off, it does not effect the flashing issue.

So, my experience here, is that certain optimization which was needed for WP5 and before, may not be needed for WP6.  Indeed, as in my case, it may slowing the site loading time, rather than speeding it up.

I would suggest that anyone using legacy optimization from before WP6, should check their site to see if it is still needed.

I hope this makes sense and helps.

Regards and thanks,

Angus

scrambler

I cant see any issue on my galaxy note 8.

May be you can provide a scenario and specifics to look for.

hkp
    Participant

@Weaver @Scrambler

Apologies… All my own fault.

I have now solved the flashing menu header issue.

I just recalled that while reverting from WX6.0.3 to WX5.0.7, I decided to see if I could reduce the spacing between the menu columns.

I found that turning off “Use SmartMenus” did the trick. So I left it there.

The result was closer menu headings in the desktop view, but it messed with the loading of the menus on phones and changed the hamburger menu titles from Resources/Articles to Resources/Resources, which I did not notice at the time.

It also caused the flashing problem as well, as the menus were not loading correctly.

So, reverting to “Use SmartMenus” solved the issue.  They now load correctly and have the correct names again.

Regards and thanks,
    Angus

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.