Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Weaver Xtreme Version 4.0 – Beta 3.9.3 Released

This topic contains 26 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Yvonne 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Weaver
    Keymaster

Weaver Xtreme Version 4.0 has moved from Alpha to Beta. The current version seems rock solid in how it works and displays.

The Gutenberg support is a bit improved, and provides a greatly enhanced experience when using Gutenberg. Note that taking advantage of Gutenberg is totally optional – don’t install the Gutenberg plugin, and nothing changes.

Between Gutenberg, Page Builders, and changes in site design philosoply, what a themes needs to deliver these days has changed a bit. Weaver Xtreme can match the capabilities of any WordPress theme available, and then some. This version makes building full width sites very easy, and there are options to build a simplified “Menu Only” header area that seems so popular these days. The Basic options level of the Customizer interface has been re-worked so that it really does included a set of options that can be used to design the most fundamental parts of a website. The Standard interface level provided almost all of the essential Weave Xtreme options, while the Full level provides access to all options for our most advanced users.

Here are more details of what is new: https://weavertheme.com/whats-new-in-weaver-xtreme-4-0/

The main thing left to include with Weaver Xtreme V4 are some new subthemes, and a bit of refreshing the existing ones.

Click HERE to download the latest Weaver Xtreme V4 and the matching Weave Xtreme Theme Support Plugin V4 Beta versions.

IMPORTANT: To be safe, you should make backups of your current theme settings, preferably by downloading to your own computer. You should install these versions right over your current versions. If you need to revert, the new version should not have messed up your current settings, and you can just re-install the versions from the WordPress.org repositories.

Perhaps the easiest way to install these new versions is to temporarily switch to some other theme such as Twenty Sixteen, deactivate and delete the current Weaver Xtreme and Weaver Xtreme Repository (Weaver Xtreme Plus will get a new version a bit later), then install as uploads the new theme and theme support plugins you downloaded from the above link.

Please let us know what you think. I’ve installed these versions on several existing sites with no issues – everything continued to look the same. I hope you get similar results!

laura
    Participant

@weaver

I have several Weaver websites whose content and design have remained static for a few years and probably will not change any time soon.

For those sites, is it necessary to run the new beta version if the design of the content is not going to change?

If Gutenberg is optional,  I think I would feel more comfortable installing the Classic Editor Plugin for those sites and then installing WordPress 5.0 when it is released. Is there anything else I need to do to prepare for WordPress 5.0?

Thanks.

Weaver
    Keymaster

I actually don’t know if the initial release of WP 5 will include both editors, or if there will be plugins involved.

I do plan to release the Weaver Xtreme 4.0 via the WP repository very soon, and it will thus fall into the WP update process. It is difficult to avoid updating the themes. There are some other semi-major changes to 4.0 that do not involve Gutenberg at all. We’ve tested all of these changes on our own sites with no known incompatibilities. There is some chance that some highly specialized custom CSS might break, or that some child-themes may break. We’ve tried to avoid this, but in order to move forward with web design trends, a few changes were required.

One of the major changes is the reduction in need for the theme support plugin. Under new WordPress guidelines, the support for per page and per post options has been moved back to the theme, and removed from the theme support plugin. So, if you don’t use any of the shortcodes in the theme support plugin, and don’t need the legacy options admin, there is not a lot of need for the theme support plugin.

laura
    Participant

@weaver

I think they said on the Gutenberg plugin support section is that you can download the Classic Editor if you don’t intend to use Gutenberg. You should leave it unactivated because they are likely to modify it, but you can still install it to ease any nervousness anyone has.

I think they also said that the actual Gutenberg release will have built in fall back capability that will detect classic content, but I will check back about this.

I have a couple of sites that have highly custom css styles to style the main menu bar or a bunch of images in a table where each image links to a post and styles for some of the plugins. These styles are in the main > fonts & custom > custom css rules.

I think the only shortcode one site uses is the one to post a You Tube video where you can adjust the width of the video using a percent. So are you saying support for this will still exist, but not through the theme support plugin?

All my sites use the legacy interface options, but you’re saying it’s only an issue if use the shortcodes? I just want to make sure I understand.

Weaver
    Keymaster

I was probably being too informational rather than specific.

In brief – I believe that nearly all Weaver Xtreme 3.x sites will work unchanged with Weaver Xtreme 4.0. If you also update to the Weaver Theme Support 4.0, everything will continue to work as always.

The most likely incompatibilities (and we have yet to really encounter any for sure issues) would be in highly customized CSS in very special circumstances involving some specific HTML <div> nesting. I don’t expect to see this issue, but it is possible, especially if non-Weaver plugins are involved. Some of the PHP code for the header and footer generation has changed significantly, and it is possible a child theme might not work exactly as expected, or more likely, fail to work with some of the new options available in Weaver Xtreme 4 – e.g., support for page builders.

And as a technical detail, the support for per page and per post options is now integrated into the main theme instead of being provided by the theme support plugin. The new theme support plugin now supports only the shortcodes and the legacy interface.

But, as a rule, old sites should work fine with Weaver Xtreme 4.0 with no changes required.

That is also why testing the beta of Weaver Xtreme 4.0 on a variety of sites is most helpful. The goal is zero differences. If there are any, we’d like to know to see if there is a way to make better backward compatibility. It should be easy to revert to the old version for now.

I really don’t know what might happen with WordPress 5.0 is finally released. Right now, using Gutenberg to edit old classic pages will work well. It is an almost certainty that some of the Gutenberg blocks won’t look perfect in non-supporting themes. I predict a lot of uproar over that part, because things will look different in the editor than they do in the front-end. That won’t be true with Weaver Xtreme 4.

Private Reply

laura
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.

laura
    Participant

@weaver

I went back in today to create a new Gutenberg post. When I first created a post in the editor, I’m usually typing on a white background. After I published a new post today, viewed it,  and went back in to update some text, this time the editor showed me the post on a black background instead. This is new, but maybe that’s the way it should’ve looked all along because my actual background color on the website is black.

The problem I’m having now is that the post title is way too big to where it is overlapping over the permalink above it,  preventing me from doing any changes to it.

I just tried to enter a new post, but the interface is now not in proportion with the text editor window. It is difficult to scroll. The colors are correct according to my Weaver settings, but everything’s too big. The published post is fine.

Weaver
    Keymaster

The edit permalink box was new in 2.7, and I think it is buggy. I had the same issue with it not being visible.

I don’t know about the font size issues. If you are able, I’d like to have an admin login to your test site to see if I get the same results.

Private Reply

laura
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.

Weaver
    Keymaster

@laura

If I understand correctly, your main issue is the very large font display of the post title in the Gutenberg editor?

Well, that is a combination of things, some of which I can’t fix (maybe most of them) because of the real separation of the editor from the actual page generated.

1. Gutenberg treats pages and posts exactly the same inside the editor. This means when trying to match style on the title, I picked the page title styling over post styling. Your site uses quite different styling for pages and posts, and I don’t think I can ever style in the editor differently.
    2. Your title styling uncovers a bit of an issue in getting the font size calculated correctly. When building the style for the editor, I assume the size will be specified, or at the very least use the inherited size of titles which is x-large. But, you are using a % size (130% for pages), and that % is based on the parent of the title div, which turns out to be <header>, which isn’t even part of the editor. On a real page, <header> has a font size of “medium”. so your title on the real page is 130% of medium. Ideally, one of the Weaver title font sizes could get you to your 130% of medium, and then it would look better in the editor. But I think I can make it better by checking for inherit on the title font-size.
    3. You have revealed a serious issue with color styling conflicts between with the Gutenberg dynamic pop-up controls – the insert line, the circled-+, and others. They sometimes disappear into your black background. I’ll have to figure out that one. It may represent a fundamental issue with Gutenberg.

laura
    Participant

@weaver

Yes, the issue I am having is mostly with the large font size of the post title Gutenberg editor.

This funny thing is that I didn’t have these issues at all when I first tested it out so I guess when you integrated the Weaver post settings is when things changed. I definitely didn’t have any issues with the title font size and everything displayed on a white background.

But where you mentioned the pop up controls at the bottom disappear into the black background:

On one post where this was happening, the last line of the post was hidden in view mode at the very bottom, but when I switched to code view, I was only able to see it then.

On another post, the last line actually overlapped partly over my “weaver options for this post” section at the bottom.

I remember struggling to set up the font sizes when I was setting up this test site when I was getting used to Weaver Xtreme and I created a post here on the forum where you said:

https://forum.weavertheme.com/forums/topic/question-regarding-font-sizes/

“The base font size is used to determine how all the small, large, extra small, etc font sizes actually render. Small for text is not the same as small for Titles, for example. They are all relative. So the idea is to set the font size for each area of your site. The content areas can be set to a different font size than other areas, and that size is used for the Edit View size. Rather than trying a bunch of different sizes, use a built-in Weaver size as need for other areas. There is usually not need for ultra precise font size control – just what looks good on the screen.

I would hate to have to tear up my font settings when I finally got them appearing well enough with the classic editor as they are set up now, but if your suggestion about checking for the inherit for the title font size helps, I’ll try it. I’d hate to not be happy with the Gutenberg editor just because of the title font size.

Weaver
    Keymaster

I’m pretty sure the font size issues are related only to the title. But it is possible the base font size might need to be factored into this, too.

laura
    Participant

@weaver

Just out of curiosity, I changed that font you mentioned on the content section from 130% to 25px and there was a definite improvement, but I still have that problem at the bottom where the bottom of the post is either cut off or overlapping the weaver per post settings, but the post title looks better at the moment.

Also, I just realized when you click on a block of paragraph to get the little tool bar to appear to adjust left, right, bold text, etc, the colors that appear to highlight the text are not readable because the colors change to a background color of light grey with white text which is difficult to read.

Weaver
    Keymaster

The bottom margin of the editor remains a GB issue, I suspect will eventually be solved.

And I’m sorry I didn’t make my self clear in an earlier post, but I was grateful to be able to play with your site because I recognized the last issue you described – the editor control icons are a bit unreadable with dark bg themes.

This is a known issue with the Gutenberg core team, but it is also solvable by the theme’s capabilities.

I have the start of a fix for the unreadable controls, and will post that within a few days.

There are also issues when the title has been custom styled. The font size choice that would “fix” your site would be to pick one of the standard Weaver Xtreme font sizes for the page and post titles rather than using % or px in a custom CSS rule.

laura
    Participant

@weaver

For the page title, if I take out the 130% (in the page title background which is an odd place to adjust the font, but it is effective) and use inherit for page title font properties, the font still too big.

So I tried using x-small font for the page title which looks fine in the editor, but appears a little too large in the published post.

The only setting that I’m happy with is if I put a value of about 20px in the page title backgound (with inherit chosen). That seems to look good in both the visual editor and and the published results and looks good in both Gutenberg and the Classic editor.

It will be very challenging to get both editors to be running smoothly together, because if you need to make too many adjustments for Gutenberg, will it create unexpected problems for the classic editor should someone want to use it?

Remus
    Participant

I tried to change with Gutenberg a post from Published to Draft, and the Saving notice started to flicker for a few seconds. Suddenly everything went blank.

Just a few minutes later realizing I was banned by server firewall. Lucky me I have dynamic IP.

I suppose that other editors like TinyMCE must be disabled when using GB.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.