Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Weaver Xtreme Version 3 – Beta

This topic contains 43 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Lura 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 17 through 32 (of 44 total)
  • Author

PapaBurke
    Participant

@scrambler,

I am trying to download the Beta version and I am following the instructions provided in the proceeding post.  However, when I download the file I do not get a .zip file, rather, I end up with a weaver-xtreme folder with 57 files in it.  I also get a similar result when I download the new plugin as well.

If this is okay, how do I upload the folder into WordPress?  The upload theme page seems to be expecting a .zip file.

PapaBurke
    Participant

@scrambler,

Please disregard my previous post; I figured it out.  I needed to right-click on the download icon first.

Weaver
    Keymaster

@papaburke – that is a “feature” of macOs. It helpfully auto-unzips your files for you when you download. That option can be turned off. And the .zip file can be found in the trash.

thesurge
    Participant

I am currently using the beta to design a new website that should be finished/live in a few weeks time. As it is likely that V3 will be released before I finish the site it makes sense to start with the beta and get used to the new features. @weaver and @scrambler – you have done a fantastic job with this. If I am ever tempted to build a site with a different theme it doesn’t take very long before I ditch the idea and stick with weaver.

Weaver
    Keymaster

@thesurge – thank you.

V3 Should be released very soon.

barbeluk1
    Participant

Great to hear of a significant update! I have a lot of sites running Xtreme with the Pro plugin. Do you recommend that we update them all to v3 or should we just use v3 for new sites? I guess I’m asking, will you be providing security updates and patches for v2.x or should all v2.x sites be upgraded to the latest version?

Thanks,

Andy 

scrambler

V3 is just an update, just because it has new features does not change anything.

If you want to stay current and you should, you need to update all site with v3 when released.

There is no reason not to, and this is the only way to get any future fixes.

This is a WordPress Theme, not an operating system :), there is no such things a security fixes only

Weaver
    Keymaster

@scrambler – Well, usually themes don’t get security updates only, but it has happened (fortunately, never to Weaver). The story for plugins is different, and there have been quite a few security only releases for plugins (but, again, fortunately never for any of Weaver’s plugins.)

And of course, security only updates for WP are far from unknown. For example, it would be very unsurprising that after the upcoming 4.7 release of WP, that there will be a 4.7.1 release that includes a few bug fixes, but also likely security fixes. Themes don’t often have security fixes because they pretty much rely on the core WP to provide the necessary security, while plugins are a bit more “unregulated”.

SO, bottom line, EVERYONE should ALWAYS update their sites to the latest versions of WordPress, Themes, and Plugins. ALWAYS. It is very very rare that new releases of WordPress, Themes, or Plugins break operation of existing sites (although it has happened – sometimes WP will add a update that will be incompatible with a Theme).

Just as a for instance, WP updated the visual editor, and that update was incompatible for the old Weaver II. It didn’t break any sites, it just made the visual editor not display content optimally – it worked, just not optimally.

Remus
    Participant

I renewed the licence, but didnt expected so many new features. These will make the job easier converting to full-width, so cool.

I tested the floating menu. Am I the only one who needs a timed display of a floating menu? It would be neat to add there a short note, a Facebook like reminder or anything else.

scrambler

Can you elaborate  because I am not following
    What is the floating menu? Do you mean the fix to top on scroll?
    What do you mean by timed?
    What do you mean by “It would be neat to add there a short note, a Facebook like reminder or anything else. “?

Remus
    Participant

Exactly that menu. Timed: displayed only 20 seconds/delayed,  or whatever anyone needs. 
    Is it really necessary to explain more than this 
    EDIT: It would rather be a pop-up.

scrambler

I am sorry but I still don’t get it.

What do you mean by displayed only 20 seconds?

the menu is there when the page loads. As you scroll the page, the menu moves up. When it gets to the top it stays there.
     Do you want the menu to disappear 20s after it was fixed at the top? What would be the point of that??

And “EDIT: It would rather be a pop-up. ” What would be a popup ??

We don’t read mind, please be detailed

Remus
    Participant

I think you know those plugins that loads a popup; Like this page! or anything else. But it is displayed only for a short time, or after the visitor read the page 30 seconds.  So I am saying that the theme could provide this functionality with a custom menu that can be configured when to be displayed, how much time and so on.

scrambler

I have to admit that I fail to see any value in a menu that disappears after a while.

The whole point of having a fixed menu at the top, is that it is always available as you scroll down and saves you from having to scroll back up.

There is no telling how much time any reader needs to scroll and read down the page. Making the menu disappear after an arbitrary time sound like a source of frustration for the user.

But if you are not worried about annoying your visitors, you can do that with custom CSS.

You cannot test this on the beta as the fix on scroll, has changed in the upcoming release, but I have a Tutorial prepared (below) for the final version that shows how to animate the Fix on scroll transition. This tutorial could easily be tweaked to make the menu disappear after being fixed for a while using CSS transitions.

http://guide.weavertheme.com/menus-alternate-transition-for-fixed-on-scroll-menus/

When the final version is released, if you still want to experiment with making the menu disappear, post back and I will give you the CSS

frank
    Participant

A bug or have I missed a posting earlier?

Suddenly the Visual tab in WordPress editor stopped working for every page on the site, text mode only was all I could use. I deactivated most of my plugins which have been in over a week but I didn’t suspect them cos they are weaver pluging :-). Still no Visual Tab, discovered Googlefonts was the culprit, I had imported the Raleway font via Xtreme Appearance/fonts & custom , once I deleted the font everything was back to normal.
    Just wondering if it was bug in the beta version or have I missed a previous message on the subject.

Gillian

@frankthis thread may be related.

Viewing 16 posts - 17 through 32 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.