Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Weaver Xtreme und ClassicPress

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  robf 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

pezi
    Participant

Hallo!

will weaver xtreme also work with https://www.classicpress.net/?

scrambler

Classic Press is a replacement for WordPress but is based on WordPress (independent fork)

In their FAQ (below), they say WordPress themes and plugin will work with it

https://docs.classicpress.net/faq-support/#will-my-current-plugins-and-themes-work-in-classicpress

So I guess you can hope and try. But if there are issues, @weaver would have to pitch in.

The potential issue I see is evolution. I suspect they want to do some things different that WP, so I am not clear on what that could mean for maintaining compatibility. May be weaver can check that with them if he believes the project has merit.

Someone should tell them, it would be nice to see the goals and expected benefits of their project somewhere on the Website  🙂

pezi
    Participant

I start with the tests today.
    If there are problems, I’ll be sure. Thank you!

Someone should tell them, it would be nice to see the goals and expected benefits of their project somewhere on the Website

PS: I’ve also written to ClassicPress, expressed my interest and offered help, etc. – but have not received an answer yet. (Probably because of my problems with English language)

Weaver
    Keymaster

Weaver Xtreme 4.1 is probably compatible with this, but Weaver Xtreme 4.2 will NOT be compatible because it will be heavily modified for Gutenberg and WP 5.0.

If I see that this might be a reasonable thing to support, I can likely build a version of Weaver Xtreme that will not have any Gutenberg support, but for now, my #1 priority is to build a totally compatible WP 5.0 / Gutenberg version of Weaver Xtreme.

Actually, Weaver Xtreme 4.2 might be compatible, but will have extra stuff in it that may not actually “show up” in WP 4.9.8 (which is essentially ClassicPress if I understand their website.) But no promises.

pezi
    Participant

If I see that this might be a reasonable thing to support, I can likely build a version of Weaver Xtreme that will not have any Gutenberg support

That would be great!
    I will never use Gutenberg myself and recommend this editor to anyone!
    https://de.wordpress.org/plugins/classic-editor/ is one of the solutions, but unfortunately not forever …
    Therefore, I test ClassicPress and will also switch, (if this tool is ok. (I am already testing CP))

my #1 priority is to build a totally compatible WP 5.0 / Gutenberg version of Weaver Xtreme.

I understand you have to offer a theme that is compatible with Gutenberg. That’s the trend …

Actually, Weaver Xtreme 4.2 might be compatible, but will have extra stuff in it that may not actually “show up”

I understand

WP 4.9.8 … (which is essentially ClassicPress if I understand their website.)

yes, I think it’s the same

So I will only test with Weaver Xtreme 4.1 and not update the theme – should work.

DANKE!

robf
    Participant

I will also be switching my WordPress sites to ClassicPress as it seems to be genuinely user led, unlike WordPress with the deeply unpopular move to Gutenberg.

I would like to add my voice to requests for a Gutenberg free version of Weaver Xtreme as nearly all of my sites use Weaver Xtreme (or Weaver Pro 2.2.4)

As I understand it, ClassicPress intend to keep full compatibility with WP 4.9.9 in version 1 (and to support CP version 1 as a long term support option), see https://forums.classicpress.net/t/what-will-change-with-themes-in-classicpress/ and having tested three sites (one with Weaver Xtreme 4.1 just updated to 4.2) everything seems to work fine (and faster than standard WordPress).

Many thanks for a great theme which I am using on several websites, and hope to be able to stay with on ClassicPress

pezi
    Participant

Hallo robf!

and having tested three sites (one with Weaver Xtreme 4.1 just updated to 4.2) everything seems to work fine (and faster than standard WordPress).

Excellent!
    Are these also productive sites? So publicly visible or still in the test phase on XAMPP?

Many thanks for a great theme which I am using on several websites, and hope to be able to stay with on ClassicPress

I can only thank the weaver and hope also that ClassicPress is really a stable alternative and will remain!

All the best and good luck!

(Sorry wg. my Englisch, muss per Google Translate)
    Private Reply

robf
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.

pezi
    Participant

Hallo!

Was bedeutet: “This reply has been marked as private” ?

robf
    Participant

Hi Pezi,

I marked my reply as private to be readable just by yourself as you’d requested further info about sites I have running under ClassicPress which is probably off-topic for the Weaver forums

If you log in you should be able to able to see the full reply.

All the best,

Rob

Weaver
    Keymaster

As far as I can tell, there is nothing in the standard Weaver Xtreme v 4.2 that would prevent it from working correctly under WP 4.9.

The newest 4.2 release of Weaver Xtreme generates new style sheets for the editor – there are three in all: one for the classic editor, one for gutenberg, and a combined version that has some styling common to both.

The block  editor styling will still be loaded in WP 4.9, but would simply be ignored. When used with WP 5.0, there are other front-end and back-end style sheets loaded, but those simply won’t be loaded for WP 4.9 (and thus classicpress). There are also front-end style rules for the block editor in Weaver Xtreme’s main style sheet, but they are not numerous, and would be unused by WP 4.9.

So, while Weaver Xtreme 4.2 will include a few style rules for the block editor and front-end blocks, they will be ignored, and there won’t be measurable load-time overhead. In fact, the only way themes interact with page or post content is via styling, and display of post meta data (date, author, etc.). If a given page or post doesn’t need some styling rule (e.g., a post written with the classic editor without any blocks), then it doesn’t matter if block styling rules are present.

Other than that, the rest of a theme’s job doesn’t have anything to do with which editor is used to produce content. And the new block editor (Gutenberg) doesn’t have any interaction with the theme other than supplying or using block styling sheets.

So I think that in general, most themes will continue to work fine with WP 4.9 / ClassicPress even if they include support for the new block editor. And if content is created for WP 5.0 using just the Classic Editor, it should continue to display as always. And I suspect it will be a very long time before the Classic Editor plugin is discontinued. At the very worst, there will be some extra and JavaScript loaded to handle possible Block Editor content. That will be minimal.

The main thing that concerns me about ClassicPress is the ability to keep up with security fixes. Security patches kind of fly under the radar, but are an important component of WP updates. I suppose that ClassicPress developers might be able to track those changes in WP 5. and include them in ClassicPress releases, but it won’t be easy.

I don’t agree with the entire release process for the Gutenberg / Block Editor, but I do believe that the Classic Editor should be the future. Personally, after developing the Designer Blocks for the Block Editor plugin, and integrating Block Editor support into Weaver Xtreme, if find the classic clumsy and limited. It took a while, but I just don’t “think” with the Classic Editor workflow any more. The Block Editor workflow is better. And I also think tht the Block Editor workflow is better than any of the page designer plugins. The page designers have a big head start, and so have many more options than the Block Editor, but as more and more blocks become available, the Block Editor will catch up.

In summary, I don’t think that there is any need for any special version of Weaver Xtreme to stay compatible with ClassicPress. If anyone finds any issue with the latest version of Weaver Xtreme in that work environment, let me know. I will follow up, but I just don’t anticipate what those issues might be.

pezi
    Participant

further info about sites

Verstehe

If you log in you should be able to able to see the full reply.

No, unfortunately I do not see anything.

pezi
    Participant

Hallo Weaver!

Thank you for this extensive and really interesting information.

It just needs to translate, but as far as I understand it, you also have the latest theme (Weaver Xtreme 4.2) built so that it can cope with both WordPress (WP + CP). Excellent!

fwolf
    Participant

The main thing that concerns me about ClassicPress is the ability to keep up with security fixes. Security patches kind of fly under the radar, but are an important component of WP updates. I suppose that ClassicPress developers might be able to track those changes in WP 5. and include them in ClassicPress releases, but it won’t be easy.

Backports are currently happening based on the 4.9.x branch, and will continue to happen, at least for the v1 branch. Also, as a major focus of CP is on security, CP might become more secure and thus stable compared to WP 5.x in a bit 🙂

cu, w0lf.

robf
    Participant

Hello Weaver,

As far as I can tell, there is nothing in the standard Weaver Xtreme v 4.2 that would prevent it from working correctly under WP 4.9.

Many thanks for a really informative and detailed reply, that’s great to know!

…And I suspect it will be a very long time before the Classic Editor plugin is discontinued.

Apparently it will be supported till 31 Dec 2021 but no guarantee of long term support beyond that

https://make.wordpress.org/core/2018/11/07/classic-editor-plugin-support-window/

The ClassicPress committee are very security focused and experienced as far as I can see. See https://www.classicpress.net/roadmap/

In summary, I don’t think that there is any need for any special version of Weaver Xtreme to stay compatible with ClassicPress. If anyone finds any issue with the latest version of Weaver Xtreme in that work environment, let me know. I will follow up, but I just don’t anticipate what those issues might be.

Many thanks, that is very reassuring and much appreciated.

All the best,

Rob

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.