Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Weaver Xtreme Plus Suggestions?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Weaver 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Weaver
    Keymaster

I am working on the next version of Weaver Xtreme Plus, and will consider almost any suggestion for new features. No promises, just a good time to consider new options.

One new feature I’m pretty sure will be added is a dead simple, minimalist slider for the header or above the main content (after the Info Bar) for either the front page or all pages. Don’t plan to add per page options for this. The goal is to make it very simple to create just a basic slider without minimal fuss. This seems to be a common design, and for now it does require a few extra steps. Defining the slider will use the standard media library gallery interface.

For more complicated sliders, there always is Weaver Sliders or other slider plugins.

hvv-laubach
    Participant

Hi,

I think there must be such a feature but I could not find it yet (Otherwise please move this to feature suggestions):

I have different Tabs (tab1, tab2, tab3) defined.
    How can I achieve to open a specific tab dynamically when coming to the site?

I could not manage to get an ID assigned to the span/tab to test /site#tab2 as an anchor.

Thanks for help

Christian

Gillian

I’d like to be able to do this as well, but haven’t found a way to do it.  I understand that it needs to be achieved via JavaScript, but that it beyond my skills.

I’ve moved this to Weaver’s new thread for Weaver Xtreme Plus suggestions since I think if it is only likely to be made available in Plus (if at all).

scrambler

I am not completely sure I understand what the request is, so you may want to elaborate.

hvv-laubach
    Participant

The request is: Have a possibility to address a tab in the site via link and have the tab open initially without clicking on it.

E.g. having an url like

• http://www.mysite.com/site?tab=tab2
    • http://www.mysite.com/site#tab3

A use case would be if you have tab1 with some staff info and tab2 with a contact form.
    You want to send a user directly to the contact form from another page.

Weaver
    Keymaster

RE: Open in a tab

I am assuming you are using the tab shortcode supplied with Weaver Xtreme Theme Support [tab_group] shortcode?

I believe it might be possible to have the shortcode Javascript do this. This would keep that feature in the free version. It would almost certainly require the ?tab=tab2 form as that is passed via $POST.

hvv-laubach
    Participant

Yes I’m using the [ tab_group] shortcode.

It would be really nice if you could implement a solution 🙂

Gillian

I’m also using the [tab_group] shortcode.  From some pages on my site, I would like to link directly to a tab (which isn’t the first tab in the group) and have that tab (instead of the first tab) open automatically when the tab page is loaded.

If it will be possible to do this, that would be great, and sets the Weaver [tab_group] shortcode apart from other plugins (I researched quite a few and couldn’t find one with this feature).

Weaver
    Keymaster

A general solution coming in with a link to a specific tab looks a bit difficult, but I wonder if there might be a solution that works for most cases.

I noticed a behavior that has always been there, but has gotten no comments before.

By default, the tab group will always open to the first tab. If you select a different tab, then navigate away from the page and then come back, the tab group will still open to the first tab and not where you left off.

One change that I think might be easier to implement would be to add a default opened tab to the shortcode definition. So you could say [tab_group default=3] to open the 3rd tab by default when the page opens,

Might that be enough to solve at least some of the specific open tab use cases, or is it important to say implement a menu-like structure with a direct link to different tabs?

Gillian

The ability through a shortcode parameter to open a specified tab on page load could be useful in some circumstances. For example, although one could, of course, always put the specified tab first to achieve the same end, sometimes that might not be optimum from a design viewpoint.

In the case where a tab_group has, say, 5 tabs, each displaying different information, I would like to be able to load the page with the relevant tab (which will change with context) open on page load after clicking a link in a different page which refers to the content of that specific tab.  I hope this makes sense.  So I think your second suggestion (the menu-like structure) would be the solution in my case.

A while ago, I did research what I was trying to achieve and found some JavaScript snippets, however, I couldn’t get them to work. I just Googled again and found this possible solution which looks like it has possibilities (to an untrained eye).

scrambler

If an exact solution is too hard, with the ability to define which tab is opened by default in the shortcode, you could duplicate your page (one for each tab), set the default tab differently in each, then you would have a page you could link to for every tab.

hvv-laubach
    Participant

@scrambler: I think this is not really a solution, as you would have to maintain several pages containing the same content. You really have to take care not to get mismatches in the data. Additionally: Why would you use tabs when you have to create a dedicated page for each tab?

As Gillian stated, a “default=n” option is not what I need. I could simply move the desired tab to the first position to achieve this.
    If you anyways implement a “default=n” function, is it really that hard to extract the parameter from the url (…/page?default=n)?

Weaver
    Keymaster

This is actually a very difficult problem. No wonder other tab plugins don’t do it either.

Doing this will require a complete re-write of the existing shortcode. This would take a very significant amount of development effort, and I’m not sure the benefit is large enough to warrant that expenditure of my limited resources. Given that this has not come up in several years now until now, I doubt I will get to this.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.