Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Weaver Xtreme [WP, actually] does not have appearance>editor option

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    r1bryan
    Participant

Am wanting to edit a wordpress page template.  I keep reading about how to do this and all the instructions I find say to go to wordpress admin section and select appearance – Editor to edit page templates.  Weaver Xtreme appears to not have this option.  Do I need to use a different theme to get this option?

Thanks,

Randy

scrambler

If you are going to edit PHP templates, you must do it Via a Child Theme.

I suggest you read about how to create a child theme.

The child theme will contain among other things, the modified template created from a copy of the original.

You should NEVER edit the original template directly, as these changes would be lost in the next update.

r1bryan
    Participant

Thanks Scrambler, will check out child themes.  May be just what I need to continue my project.

rb

User

@r1bryan

Personally, I have found Weaver Xtreme to be almost infinately customizable.

So I am just curious as the what changes you seek, which are not contained in or allowed for in the Xtreme Customizer tab?

Regards!

r1bryan
    Participant

Im reading about ACF, advanced custom fields plugin which can be used to provide a front end user method to create and edit posts. I read about entering php code in a page template which will allow a user to edit content and pictures in a post without interacting with the back end.

r1bryan
    Participant

A child theme seems more global than what I need.  I think I just want to adjust one page template, but seems there is no way to do that.  There are several types of page templates available on weaver xtreme but apparently no way to modify them.

scrambler

A child theme is simple and fine even if you only need one file changed.

it is the way to do it

User

@r1bryan

What @scrambler says is correct.

To be honest, it is not a big job and it should only take a few minutes to set up a Weaver Xtreme child theme, as Xtreme already supplies a sample one containing all that is need to set up the Child.

Once set up, typically one then just needs paste in the required php code, and it is done.

Personally I only use the Child to hold changes to the contents of the Comments Box, as it is a WP asset, not a theme one.  Any and all CSS site changes are done in the Xtreme Customizer, not in the Child.

Regards!

Weaver
    Keymaster

You should NEVER, EVER modify theme files. WordPress has hidden that option from the Dashboard. I think one can re-enable it, but it is because it is such a bad idea that WP has intentionally made it fairly hard to do that.

I haven’t done this, but I think it might even be possible to add your own custom page type by adding a file called page-mypagetype.php (with appropriate header comments) to the child theme.

Another important note: if you are trying to make it easy or possible for users (site contributors or better) to create pages or posts from the front end, that is a seriously dangerous thing to do. It is a big security hole. ONLY trusted Admins, and perhaps Editors should be allowed to do anything that allows them to add javasript or php. Custom Post fields that allow text entry without proper capability filtering (which is very complex process) makes it easy for any user of Contributor or higher to hack your entire site. Do you trust everyone?

Weaver Xtreme previously had a custom post field that allowed that (very deeply buried, but there if you knew the option to use) which was removed because of the security issue.

So, fillable custom post fields are very bad. Maybe ACF has a good security wrapper around their fields, but be sure that is the case. Better to restrict users to just the standard post (and page for more trusted users) editors. Better than getting your site hacked.

r1bryan
    Participant

Just reading up on child themes, but have a fillable form to create a standard post that will be used by 3 known persons who are required to log in to use the form.

rb

Weaver
    Keymaster

If you have Weaver Xtreme Plus, you can use the showif short code with an usercan value to show only if one of your trusted users can seen the form.

r1bryan
    Participant

That looks useful, hadn’t seen the Plus listing of shortcodes before.  Thanks.

I’m using a menu option to show the menu item “Post a Hike” if user is logged in as Editor.

rb

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.