Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Using an alternative Menu on Mobile-View

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    nilolaus
    Participant

Hello!

On normal screens I do not need a dropping down submenu, for the designers want to have the subsequent pages in a sidebar-menu. But I need the submenus in mobile view where the sidebar is hidden. Is there a smart way to set up two different menus using the menu page of word press to create two different menus and use them for mobile or screen view? My “not so smart” approach right now is to hide the submenus on not-mobile-devices using css. 
    scrambler

If you have the Plus plugin, you have an Extra menu shortcode that can insert any WordPress Custom Menu created in Appearance > Menu.

And you also have a widget that can do the same, so you can have one menu used for the menu bar, and a series of menus that you can use with the widget to display different vertical menu in each page

nilolaus
    Participant

Yes, I use the extra menu as vertical menu in the right sidebar for pages with subpages (http://wp2.strafverteidiger-cuxhaven.de/rechtsanwaelte/). This sidebar is hidden on mobile devices, where I need the submenus of the main menu.

I asked about a smarter way to get rid of the dropdown submenus on not-mobile-devices. There could be a way to use a main menu without submenus on not-mobile-devices and a main menu with submenus on mobile devices. Seems there isn’t.
    Thank you
    scrambler

You can do that with a show_if shortcode and extra menu shortcodes.

Lookup the syntax in the Add Ons page. 

You would hide the primary menu on all devices using its hide on option.

Then insert both menu in the appropriate insertion area like header HTML area or container top with the proper show_if shortcode like below.

[show_if device='mobile']Extra menu shortcode for the mobile menu[/show_if] [show_if device='desktop']Extra menu shortcode for the desktop menu[/show_if]

I will place a suggestion to weaver to add a mobile primary menu selection in Appearance > menus > Manage location

And you would place th

Weaver
    Keymaster

If you don’t need both the primary AND secondary menus, simply make the secondary the mobile menu – having the mobile menu at the very top will work well for mobile sites. Then use the Primary menu for the desktop. You can use the Hide Area to show/hide them as necessary.

nilolaus
    Participant

Sorry – for other reasons this project was on hold.

Thank you for replying.
    I know that this workaround, but unfortunately I need both menus. The second menu I need for submenus of some pages
    scrambler

Did you read my post about using extra menu short codes inside a [show_if device='xxx'] shortcode.

You can use the primary (or secondary) menu for desktop by hiding it on mobile with the Hide Area > Hide: desktop option, then  insert the mobile menu in an insertion area inside a [show_if device='mobile']  shortcode.

If you need help with the details, give us a link to a page explaining in detail which menu needs to change on mobile and how

nilolaus
    Participant

Yes, thank you – I will check this as soon as I got my primary problems solved – thank you, I will bookmark this. First I will try to get one menu with the right hight, the correct current-menu-flag and a proper switching to mobile without jumping and squeezing and stretching … 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.