Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Updating failed. Error message: The response is not a valid JSON response.

Topic Resolution: Resolved
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    swmagic999
    Participant

Is this something you guys know about?

Updating failed. Error message: The response is not a valid JSON response.

I’m only trying to change the contact-us page at https//:/chea-elks.org (if that’s relevant) and I got this when trying to save.

thanks

scrambler
    Weaver
    Keymaster

I don’t have any ideas on this.

swmagic999
    Participant

Yes Scrambler and thanks. Following their steps I just installed the classic plugin, and that fixed the issue..

Ned
    Participant

I have also encountered “Updating failed. The response is not a valid JSON response.”

In my case, I’ve isolated the cause to the Weaver Show Posts plugin.

On a test page, I have some lines of text and inside a shortcode block, I have: [show_posts filter=test]

When I try to update the page, I get the error. When I remove the [show_posts filter=test] from the page, I can update without error.

I have set up a test site that demonstrates this behavior consistently.

I will now post a Private Reply with login credentials so you can investigate.

Private Reply
    Ned
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    scrambler

@weaver would have to be the one to look into this.

Ned
    Participant

Thanks, Scrambler, I will leave the test site up as long as necessary.

Weaver
    Keymaster

I can see that on your test site. I don’t know exactly what the shortcode block does, but it doesn’t make much sense that this should cause an error just when saving the test page.

I seriously suspect a bug in the shortcode block, but I will try to find time to test some more. It is really hard to test out blocks from the block editor.

Ned
    Participant

Thanks, Weaver, the test site will be up for as much time as you need.

Today, I went into my test site and started deleting/deactivating plugins and discovered that with Gravity Forms (Version 2.5.4) deactivated, the not a valid JSON response error does not occur!

However, other shortcodes do work in the shortcode block, even with Gravity Forms (Version 2.5.4) active.

Another data point, everything worked until a few days ago. I suspect (but don’t remember exactly) the error started after I updated the Gravity Forms plugin.

Perhaps this information will help you with further troubleshooting. Thank you for your efforts so far.

Ned
    Participant

I have verified that, with an update to Gravity Forms 2.5.5.1, the JSON error no longer occurs with the show_posts shortcode.

I will take down my test site soon.

Thank you for taking the time to investigate.

Weaver
    Keymaster

Thanks for the follow up. I really didn’t know what show posts could have that would generate that error.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.