Home Forums Designer Blocks for Gutenberg Two questions about Gutenberg

Topic Resolution: Answered

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  pasqualerose 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Answered

pasqualerose
    Participant

I haven’t completely made the jump to Gutenberg yet. I’m using it on a secondary site and just making some test post. One thing that is happening is that when I try to write a caption for a photo the caption bounces around the page as I type. When I hit return or click elsewhere it eventually disappears for good. I asked on the WordPress forum and the only suggestion I received from there was to consult with my theme developer.

Any ideas what may cause the caption to bounce around while I am editing it?

Also, with Gutenberg I can no longer change the font size of H1, H2, H3, etc text. I was also to told that might be answered by the theme developer. How can I change the font sizes of the H1 and H2 text.

Thanks!

Pat

scrambler

Any issue with using Gutenberg should really be asked to the developer.

That said, no one else has reported the issue so far, and I cant reproduce it, so you may want to try disactivating ALL non weaver plugins to see if that solves the issue. if it does, reactivate one by one to find the culprit.

You are also not saying where exactly you are having the problem, like in the WP image library where captions are normally entered, or in a Gutenberg specific block…

If you have the “Plus” plugin, Weaver Xtreme has settings for h tags in Main Options > Content Area > Content heading settings.

If you do not have plus, you can place Custom CSS rule to style them in the Theme Global Custom CSS Rule box.

pasqualerose
    Participant

Thanks.

I don’t have the plus version, but changing the font and font size of the H1, H2, text etc. was not an issue with pre-Gutenberg WordPress. Here is a screen shot of the pre-Gutenberg WordPress showing that with it I am able to edit the H1 text https://ibb.co/tCnsnbX. I am not sure why I cannot change the font with Gutenberg.

With the Gutenberg blocks is where the problem of the floating captions occurs. In the classic WordPress I preferred to add my caption by clicking on the photo and clicking the edit button while laying out a page.  I found it easier to layout photos before the captions were added. With Gutenberg I guess I could go back into the media library and add the captions there. It just would be easier to add the captions without doing that as I did in the past. I’ll have to ask again in the WordPress forum to see if someone there knows why my captions are floating.

Thanks.

Best Answer

Weaver
    Keymaster

This reply has been accepted as the best answer.

1. Fonts: Changing fonts for content and header text work as expected when using Gutenberg, as far as I can tell. I may not understand your issue, and you may need to explain it in more specific detail than “changing the font and font size of the H1, H2, text etc. was not an issue with pre-Gutenberg WordPress”.

I’ll explain what behavior I expect and in fact confirm on my testing. To test, I opened the Customizer -> Typography -> Content menu. That menu has the choice to change the font family and size for Content Headings. I changed the sizes and to an easily distinguished font family (e.g.,  Handlee). These changes displayed after reloading the test page, including when opened with the Block Editor. I would not expect anything else. You can’t change the font from inside the Block Editor by design of the Gutenberg team. The Classic Editor is a different story, which does allow you to select text and change the font. Nothing that a theme can do about that at the moment.

2. Image Captions – these work, but it does seem that there is some issue with the alignment. I tested editing a caption inside the Block Editor. Normally the caption is centered. When I click on it to edit, it changes to left alignment, and doesn’t go back to centered when I switch to a different block. However, saving the page, viewing it on the front end view shows the changes and centered as expected. Re-opening that page in the editor shows the caption centered again as expected. This might be a bug in the Block Editor, but again is out of control of the theme. Again, if you are experiencing different bahavior, you’ll need to explain more explicitly.

pasqualerose
    Participant

Thanks Weaver. I followed what you did with writing a caption and it work the same on my site. The caption drifts around and does not line up center under the photo until published. After publishing, it lines up under the photo on both the frontend and backend.

As far as the H1, H2 etc. What I meant by, “changing the font and font size of the H1, H2, text etc. was not an issue with pre-Gutenberg WordPress,” is that changing the H1, H2, H3 font size in the classic WordPress was easy.

I also followed you steps with Customizer -> Typography -> Content menu. That does give general control over the fonts and sizes. Thanks! But as your wrote, “You can’t change the font from inside the Block Editor by design of the Gutenberg team.” Hopefully they will change that or someone will develop a plugin. I for one, like to have control over my font and sizes. I’m sure others do as well.

Other than the basic WordPress support forum is there another way to send feedback to the Gutenberg team?

Thanks!

Pat

Weaver
    Keymaster

This may or may not have been discussed previously (I expect it was), but the “real” development discussion is on the Gutenberg page on github. If you don’t know about github or how it works, that is really beyond the scope of this forum. You can search and learn about github on the web.

pasqualerose
    Participant

Thanks!

Weaver
    Keymaster

I’ve just received an e-mail informing developers that Gutenberg development will no longer be done on github, but is now part of the standard mainline WP development. So that means back to the normal WP support forums.

pasqualerose
    Participant

Ok. Thanks for the update. Good to know.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.