Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Support for numbered comment pagination?

Topic Resolution: Resolved
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Tooni
    Participant

Some of my posts have a large number of comments. So I want to enable the comment pagination (standard WP setting). However it seems, that the navigation is fixed to “next/prev” comments.
    Does Waever Xtreme support the selection of a numbered navigation (like it is available for page with posts) ?

Regards, Tooni

scrambler

@weaver will have to comment (edit by weaver : )

Weaver
    Keymaster

There is built in support for handling comments in WordPress: Dashboard -> Settings -> Discussion. There are no Weaver Xtreme options for displaying comments.

Tooni
    Participant

@Weaver: Even though your answer is a little bit disappointing, I would like to thank you for thinking about this problem. Hopefully I can find a plugin which is able to switch the navigation display.

Regards, Tooni

Weaver
    Keymaster

I could not find any plugins that has enhanced display of comments, but there might be something with a more persistent search.

Tooni
    Participant

I have found an advise to remove the two lines from the theme’s comments.php beginning like:

div class="nav-previous" php previous_comments_link
    div class="nav-next" php next_comments_link

and replace it with this one like:
    div class="paginate-com" php paginate_comments_links(); /div

Sorry, but I do not know how to insert code in this forum. My first try looked terrible…

I have made a short test and it seems to work like expected.

However, I would like to know what you think about this?
    First reason is, that I feel really uncomfortable with editing some theme files.
    And as I don’t really know what I’m doing, I cannot see it this modification could cause any problems?
    And last: Wouldn’t that be a cool option to implement in weaver xtreme theme? 😉

Regards, Tooni

scrambler

If you do modify theme file, you should create a child theme, and make the modification in the child theme.

If not your modification will be lost in the next update.

Weaver
    Keymaster

There are plenty of tutorials on creating child themes. In your case, you would create your own modified comments.php file in the child, and it would replace the default theme version.

Tooni
    Participant

Let me ask one last question: Some of the tutorials on creating child themes say that some settings (like menues and widgets settings) will be lost when creating a child theme.

Is this also true for the weaver xtreme theme and can I avoid this by saving all settings with the save/restore function of weaver with the parent theme and then restoring them in the child theme?
    Or what is your suggestion?

Weaver
    Keymaster

WordPress keeps menus and widgets in a database entry specific to each theme. It is not uncommon to “lose” settings when changing themes, but not always. These settings are NOT saved in Weaver Xtreme settings.

When I create and activate the example Child Theme provided in the Weaver Xtreme distribution, the menus and widgets seem to be preserved.

You could create a simple child, then see if the menus and widgets stay.

If they don’t, I think there are plugins that allow you to save your menus and widgets.

Tooni
    Participant

@Weaver: Thank you very much for taking the time to answer all my questions. This is really a great support! And a great theme. 😉

Regards Tooni

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.