Home Forums Weaver for bbPress Split: Weaver for bbPress features

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Weaver 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Inga
    Participant

Bruce, what you did with the bbPress plugin sounds perfect. 🙂 Makes lots of sense as a plugin.

Something I don’t think you included is the option to moderate. Or did you?

In my 20 years or so of both using and managing various means of discussion (discussion email lists, blogs, fora), I have found that topics that mean a lot to people (including but not limited to religion and politics) can generate a lot of heat without light and just turn into inhospitable places. Thus moderation is very important to me. There is currently an old plugin that’s supposed to work, but I hate to hang the success of the forum on one plugin that may or may not be supported. So far I found only this:
    https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/moderate-topics/ – suggests plugin exists and is working.
    https://codex.bbpress.org/moderation-and-blacklisting/
    Not sure what “bbPress uses the same moderation and blacklisting tools that WordPress uses for comments.” means. We are currently moderating everything on a busy WP blog, and if the same means are available, all is well. So since you are using bbPress, is it technically possible to have all posts held for moderation? Or all posts held until x number of comments have been approved, as in WordPress.

But first I have to switch over to Weaver Xtreme. I bought the Pro version not too long after it came out but didn’t succeed in making it do what I wanted to (focused more on content than technical details) and let my subscription slide. I want my main Xtreme site to look pretty much like my current site, but with a slider of 3-5 “feature” posts at the top of the page. I’ll be looking to see if someone has succeeded in creating something like that.

Thanks so much for the great work you do!

Weaver
    Keymaster

bbPress does have a moderator, but I find the core bbPress moderation tools pretty weak, especially for banning users.

I’ve added a bunch of moderation features to the plugin so that we can moderate this forum pretty easily.

Added moderation features include:

• Support for @mentions
    • Private replies
    • Setting up sending emails to users – Email sender and reply address.
    • Topic Resolution as seen on this forum
    • Easy access to users email address just to moderators
    • Auto-Block a Spamming Author. By marking a post spam, the author is automatically blocked. This was a big improvement. There is not capability for “probation” or the like found on some forums. Marking as spammer/blocked is the only option.

I’m not sure if the normal Settings -> Discussion moderation tools all work for new topics and discussion. If they don’t, I see a couple of plugins, but that does sound like a feature I’ve not added to Weaver for bbPress. I guess we don’t get heated discussions here, so I’ve never faced that situation. But extending the moderation settings (or adding bbPress specific ones to the Weaver for bbPress options) that include the normal Moderate All, Moderate unregistered users, authors must have previously approved comment would probably cover 99% of the use cases. I think I will like add that to Weaver for bbPress if the standard moderation options don’t already work that way. I will have to experiment to see how it works now.

Inga
    Participant

@weaver That sounds great so far! Yes “the normal Moderate All, Moderate unregistered users, authors must have previously approved comment would probably cover 99% of the use cases.” That’s the normal WP setup, and if that works with bbPress, that would be great. Your added features make it much more like other more sophisticated forums, and they are features I’m interested in.

I originally checked out Buddypress because it has those social features, but the last time I checked, it didn’t seem like the best choice for a forum with some social features. Too focused on the “social” side. With your enhancements, bbPress looks to be just what I was looking for.

I think the auto-block of spamming authors is also a great feature.

Speaking of spam, how does Akismet interface with the forum? I’ve used Akismet along with “Conditional Captcha” for years, and it solved our spam problem. (We tended to get more than 100 spam comments a day.) Akismet alone didn’t do it, and I didn’t trust other plugins that simply made spam disappear into a black hole and didn’t allow me to see whether or not there were false positives. The “conditional” captcha only comes up when Akismet flags a comment as spam. Thus, not many people see it.

When I tried out BuddyPress for a while, I used a plugin called Wanguard that prevented registration spam. It was great for that purpose. Unfortunately it seems to be no longer available. On my busy blog I just disabled registration and anyone can comment. That fixed the registration spam problem. Am wondering what will happen with bbPress, since I think I would want people to be registered for that. Auto-blocking of spamming authors will do the job, as long as there are not 100 registrations a day, since it required moderator intervention. <fingers crossed>

Weaver
    Keymaster

@inga:

I split/moved this portion of the topic.

We have found that Akismet has cut our spam here by maybe 90% over the previous Vanilla Forums version. Adding the Conditional Captcha like a likely useful addition. Between the better spam blocking and the mark Span and Block in the Weaver for bbPress plugin, managing spam has become quite manageable.

I am definitely going to add moderation feature. Would like a little feed back on notification of need for moderation to the moderators.

In core WP, I think that admins and maybe editors get emails to moderate. I would propose that there be an option to do that with bbPress moderation notices. But I also will try to make the “pending” posts display for moderators anyway, and add an “APPROVE” item to the post’s date/action link line. And I will add a visual “Pending” notice to pending posts. That would eliminate filling up moderators’ email with pending notices, but be very easy to scan new posts for pending status. Does that sound like an efficient moderation work flow?

Inga
    Participant

<p style=”padding-left: 30px;”>“Would like a little feed back on notification of need for moderation to the moderators.”</p>
    On my big, busy site (with dozens of comments most days), that wouldn’t be necessary, because we have moderators who take turns to check the comment queue, but I would definitely like it for may smaller sites that have less traffic (occasional comments). So for most people, to have the choice of notification would be great, I think.
    <p style=”padding-left: 30px;”>But I also will try to make the “pending” posts display for moderators anyway, and add an “APPROVE” item to the post’s date/action link line. And I will add a visual “Pending” notice to pending posts. That would eliminate filling up moderators’ email with pending notices, but be very easy to scan new posts for pending status. Does that sound like an efficient moderation work flow?”</p>
    Not sure I totally understand your proposal, but if it is what I think you mean, that’s “right on”:

• Moderator emails may be turned off. (A must, IMO)
    • When moderators log in, they will see all the new posts on their screen with “Pending” posts (those that need moderation) visually distinguishable.

If I got that right, it sounds very good. Now I can get excited about adding a forum. 🙂

Inga
    Participant

@weaver There appears to be something wrong with this setup of bbPress or with bbPress in general:

Notice how in my reply above, the program did not correctly display the “indent” and “italicize” request, which I picked from the styling bar above the post. Instead it picked up my request and displayed it as raw HTML. This happened in a previous post as well.

You may want to investigate that.

Feature requests:

• Facilitate the inclusion of quotes from a previous comment, with reference back to the comment. A lot of fora have that, but it may not be that easy fo bbPress.
    • Include the “quotation” option in the styling bar, so it’s not necessary to choose both “indent” and “italicize” (which currently don’t work).

Weaver
    Keymaster

So, I looked at another plugin: bbPress Moderation Tools.

It is quite excellent, and very well coded. It does everything except showing just new topics/replies that need moderation automatically. Depending on how the forum is displayed, new unapproved Topics will display in the list, but not replies, which must be viewed by opening a topic. BUT, since WP allows Moderators to view Topics/Replies on the dashboard, it is easy to show pending topics/replies there.

But that plugin is so good (unlike a lot of other bbPress plugins) that I really couldn’t justify producing an alternate version to be included with Weaver Xtreme.

Formatting for topics/replies here is done by the standard WP tinyMCE visual editor enhanced by the WP Edit plugin. There have been issues with “smart quotes”, which is solved by using Preformattted for code. I’ve not noticed any issues it italics. I will look at indents, and adding the quotation button (all options with WP Edit plugin).

Quoting previous topic or reply content with references is really not supported by bbPress in any simple way, nor have I found any plugins to do that. I really can’t think of any easy way to do that.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.