Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Site No Longer Working After Server Upgrade

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    richlewt
    Participant

Hi

First post here so apologies if a little basic.

I have an old site running WordPress 5.2.11, php 5.6.40 and weaver 2.2.6 (wheat theme) all working fine until my hosting company moved me onto a new server. Now I can only access the home page and none of the navigation links work. So after a bit of digging I thought we may need to do some upgrading.

Firstly I cant seem to upgrade my version of WordPress it says “WordPress has detected that your site is running on an insecure version of PHP”

So I Installed Weaver Xtreme and then tried Xtreme Theme Support Plugin but it says “Error: This plugin requires a newer version of WordPress.”

So am a bit stuck. It seems like I have to firstly install an upgraded version of php before I can install an upgraded version of WordPress before I can install the Xtreme support plugin.

Anyone offer any help?

Thanks

Rich

scrambler

You need to update WordPress to run the latest version of Xtreme, which means you also need to update PHP.

PHP updates can be done normally from your hosting CPanel, if you cant find it there, you need to ask your Host provider how to update or to update it for you.

Then update WordPress, then Install and activate Weaver XTreme Theme and Xtreme Theme Support plugin.

Weaver
    Keymaster

AND, you seem to be talking about Weaver version 2. That is a very very old version of Weaver.

I just tried to activate my archival copy of Weaver 2.2 on WP 5.7.2 using PHP 7.4, and it fails to work properly. It generates several error messages due to PHP features that are no longer supported, as well as several issues with the WP core interface. It also does not display sidebars correctly.

If you didn’t made a whole bunch of customizations with Weaver 2, the likely quickest way to get your site back running would be to switch directly to Weaver Xtreme 4.4, and select one of the current default sub-themes. You should be able to maintain the same basic structure of your site layout, but won’t get an identical theme look. The current “Cosmic Latte” subtheme might be a good starting point.

You also might have to hunt a bit to get your menus back. WP has a habit of losing track of menu and widget definitions when you switch themes. My menus and widgets did seem to be preserved when I tried Weaver 2.2, but that was using the same WP 5.7.

But since you were running WP 5.2, that is recent enough that you can likely upgrade WP to 5.7 and switch themes to get close to back where you were. You will most likely have the best luck just switching to the latest version of Weaver Xtreme, and not trying salvage you prefious site’s look.

richlewt
    Participant

Hi

Thanks for all the help chaps. Currently I cant seem to update to latest version of WP as its saying a PHP update is required. Just checked back to my Cpanel and it looks like my hosting company have upgraded it to v7.0.33 and it still won’t load WP. I have now raised a support ticket with them to see what’s happening. Looks like its all a bit screwed up. I will keep you informed when I have some more news. 🙂

Weaver
    Keymaster

Your host is apparently not interested in supporting WordPress. The current minimum PHP requirement for WordPress is 7.2, so your host needs to support that version for WordPress to work properly.

scrambler

I am on PHP 7.4.19…

richlewt
    Participant

Hi

OK, I have now had my site upgraded to php v7.3.28. Initially I still couldn’t get WordPress to update using the one click update process within wordrpress. Eventually got it installed using Odin panel. I also installed Weaver Xtreme and  Xtreme Theme Support Plugin. So we have pages but my menu navigation across the top of the page links return Not Found, the requested url was not found on this server. The individual pages are still there and can be edited but when you try and edit the menu bar and click the page from within the menu editor you get a page cant be found. I know this is simple but I haven’t touched WordPress for years

scrambler

Try going to the Dashboard > Settings > Permalinks, and resave the permalinks.

Assuming your menu was created using a Custom Menu in Dashboard > Menu, go there, and try redoing the custom Menu, Save the menu, and make sure that in that Menu editing page, under Menu settings, either primary Navigation (for menu at top of page), or Secondary navigation (for menu under header), is checked!

If you have not created a Custom Menu, but were using WordPress Default menu, you should do that.

And give us a link to your site

richlewt
    Participant

Hi

I went to permalinks and did a save (didn’t change anything)

Then went back to menus and deleted out all the links and recreated the menu again using the Default WordPress menu edit. The links still don’t work.

richlewt
    Participant

All sorted now. After a bit of searching and digging I found a post that suggested I add /index.php/%year%/%monthnum%/%day%/%postname%/ to my customers permalink structure and that worked. Thanks for all your help.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.