Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Site changes won’t stick

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    plumcreek
    Participant

New site, new hosting provider. All the other sites on the new provider seem to be working fine – make a change, change happens. Except this one, http://www.aliciatimm.com. I know I’ve run into this before but darned if I can remember the fix! And yes, I searched for an answer first as well. Help?

Here are links to a couple of pages since I have the menu shut off on the home page due to this:

https://aliciatimm.com/about-alicia/ Menu s/b green and centered. Weaver Theme logo has been shut off numerous times.

Thanks.

scrambler

When you make a change and it does not happen, is that in the customizer real time preview, or in the Public site?

If you can make changes in the customizer but when you publish them, they don’t show up on the public site, check if you are using a cache plugin or service like cloudflare. If you are, Clear ALL the caches, and eventually deactivate the plugin / service while you are making changes.

Also make sure you are not using a plugin that does JS and CSS optimization, as these can break the theme.

plumcreek
    Participant

The public site. And I’ve been here long enough that I am now in the old Admin tools and things like the BG color for the entire site hasn’t “stuck”. Ugh! I’ve forgotten how to fix it! Well, other than skipping the customizer and going old school which I’m doing now and of course it works there.

And yes, I’ve been going to Firefox to triple check and nope, changes are unrelated to all this stupid caching everyone is doing to lighten the loads rather than host on better hardware. LOL Yep, I’m old.

scrambler

So are you saying that when you change the color in the Customizer and publish, it does not propagate to the public site, but if you go in the Legacy Admin (Appearance > Xtreme admin) and save options there it works?

plumcreek
    Participant

Yes. And I found the long ago answer and it was about PHP and it’s set to 500 so that’s not it.

scrambler

I am not sure I follow.

If the changes propagate when saving option in the legacy admin but not when saving from customizer, this sounds like a bug that @weaver though he fixed in the last release.

plumcreek
    Participant

And I’m back again…with the same problem on a different hosting site. Never did find out what is causing it but was able to get around it by using the legacy interface. Any more thoughts? Today it’s http://www.joycesobotta.com and the menus should be pink, the links orange, few things seem to be sticking. I hate caching and suspect that may be the issue but I’ve cleared it all – the host, Siteground, even has it built into their WP menu system – to no avail. I’m losing my mind over this, what do you recommend I do? I love this theme and have no interest in learning another.

I need to fix this but I also need to get this done today so am making the changes in the legacy section instead of using the Customizer. Sure would be nice to know what’s going on. Thanks.

scrambler

Are you saying that you have no problem as long as you set and save options in the Legacy Admin, and ONLY have problem if you set and save options in the customizer?

Or are you also having problem saving from the Legacy Admin?

plumcreek
    Participant

Yes, that’s what I’m saying. Legacy works, customized won’t save consistently.

scrambler

If the customizer never works, may be @weaver could have a look.

You should post the content of the system info box from the theme help page here so we can see if anything is off in there

Weaver
    Keymaster

I’ve never been able to get the Customizer to not save changes after clicking the Publish button.

Changes you make show up in the Customizer page window, but aren’t saved to the actual site until you click Publish.

And while I have been unable to reproduce it. sometimes having both the legacy and the customizer windows open at th same time can cause issues.

And the customizer save might have issues with caching more than the legacy save.

scrambler

@plumcreek

• Do you use a caching service like cloudflare
    • Do you use a cache plugin?

If so have you tried

• Clearing both
    • Deactivating both

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.