Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme site broken, old Plus plugin

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    beachmat
    Participant

Hi,

I created a site using the Weaver Extreme theme over 6 years ago, with the Plus plugin, and haven’t touched or looked at it in a while. I noticed it’s now basically broken, so I logged in, and everything has been updated except the Plus plugin. Is that likely to be why it’s broken? I don’t really want to recommend the client pays the upgrade fee unless I’m confident it’s going to fix it.

Thanks

scrambler

You need to give us a few more info here

Xtreme theme version

Xtreme Theme Support Plugin Version (install it if not)

Xtreme Plus version.

You can try deactivating the Plus plugin and see if that resolves the issue.

Also try deactivating ALL non weaver plugins and see if the “issues” disappear.

Weaver
    Keymaster

The Xtreme Plus plugin has had several changes in the past 6 years, but we’ve tried to keep even the oldest version compatible, but obvioudly not supporting the upgrades to the plugin.

It is possible that something might not quite work with the latest Weaver Xtreme which has had fairly big changes over the past 6 years.

When opening the link you gave to the site, I see it shows a tiny bit at the top, but then nothing. Looking at the source shows that the site does not finish generating the HTML, which usually means a PHP crash. This could be as simple as a PHP version issue.

The best thing you could do to help would be to edit the wp-config.php file in the site’s root directory, and change or add the line:

define( ‘WP_DEBUG’, true );

which should then print error messages as to why the site crashes. Without those error messages, it is impossible to tell anything.

Note: the site did generate enough HTML to show you’re running the latest Weaver Xtreme 5.0.6 and Theme support 5.0.1, but using Plus 3.1.1. The current version is 4.0, so there is some chance there is an incompatibility which the error messages are likely to reveal.

scrambler

You may want to paste here the content of the system Info box in the theme help page too

beachmat
    Participant

Thanks. I did try updating PHP to 7.4 but it didn’t make any difference. Will look farther into it.

Weaver
    Keymaster

I repeat what I said: it is essential to see the error messages that are causing WP to crash at a specific place while generating the HTML for the site.

beachmat
    Participant

When I disabled the Plus plugin, there was a message saying a backup of the settings had been saved. Where is this located? It seems to have removed all the settings on deactivation which doesn’t seem very helpful. I’ve tried restoring them from a wxb file I saved ages ago, but there is an error saying “You must restore settings from ‘.wxb’ and ‘.wxt’ files from the Theme Options : Save/Restore tab.”

beachmat
    Participant

Okay, it seems it’s the child theme I made at the time which is causing the problem, as if I activate the Weaver theme instead, it loads, and in the debug notices there is stuff about <b>public_html/wp-content/themes/weaverx-child/header.php. </b>I’ll have to figure out or remember what changes I made to the header file.

Understand now about the Xtreme Plus settings, which were saved to the database, and can be restored from the main theme options. Bit confusing that there’s a restore option in the Plus settings, which doesn’t seem to work?

Anyway, thanks, back in business now.

beachmat
    Participant

I have a question about the only change I made to the header.php file for the child theme, which was to insert a snippet of schema microdata into the opening body tag. Looking at the current header file, I can see echo weaverx_schema( ‘body’ ) there which looks like exactly what I need. Is there a way to use this to insert what I want there, so I don’t have to have a child theme with a modified header again? I can’t see any schema-related options in the admin, apart from turning it on or off.

Thanks

beachmat
    Participant

Actually, not to worry about the schema – I can see some other microdata I had inserted in the footer copyright section is now being stripped out, so it’s probably simpler to do a JSON-LD script.

Weaver
    Keymaster

Weaver Xtreme Plus settings are not removed from the database unless you explicitly delete them using that specific option on the Weaver Xtreme Plus settings opened from the Dashboard Appearance panel.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.