Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Sidebars on WooCommerce pages

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    thesurge
    Participant

Hi

Has the Xtreme handling of sidebars on woocommerce generated pages changed?

I have just started working on an old project that had been sidelined for a while, first step was to update everything to latest versions.

From what I remembered the sidebar placement on woo category pages used the same setting as either ‘category archive’ or ‘archive-like-default’. The sidebar on the individual product page used the ‘post single page’ setting.

Now it seems that woo category pages are using the post single page setting, same as the individual product page. Ideally I want a sidebar on the category page but not on the product page, a bit fiddly as they are both picking up the same setting. Of course I know I could edit each product page and change the per page option to ‘no sidebars, content only’ but would prefer to be able to control this without manually editing every product.

scrambler

@weaver can confirm, but I seem to remember he fixed a bug in there but not sure what

Weaver
    Keymaster

Weaver Xtreme 4.4.4 significantly changed how Woo specific pages are handled. Previously, Weaver Xtreme was “doing it wrong”. For different specialized Woo pages (Shop, Products, etc.) that have lists of products, WooCommerce expectes them to be treated by the theme as Archive pages. Such special Woo pages are generally created as a standard page in the Page list on the Dashboard, and such special Pages will have an indication that they are really Woo pages in the Page list.

So, beginning with Weaver Xtreme 4.4.4,  WooPages will follow global settings for Archive pages. This is the “correct” behavior.

BUT, there was also a really great new capability added in 4.4.4 to help get Woo pages to display how you want. Now, the Per Page options for any Woo special page will have the options to change the sidebar layout for that page. Normally, there are not a lot of Woo special pages, so it wouldn’t be overly difficult to change them to have the sidebar layout you want. Other Per Page options now also work as expected.

Technically, the special Woo pages can be thought of as template pages for special Woo layouts. And the way Woo generated its Product List pages goes around some standard WordPress page handling, so Weaver Extreme was not correctly treating those page as Archive-like pages.

I’m sorry if you may need to fix some of your existing pages, but they will now work as Woo expects, and you do now have working Per Page options for the sidebar layout.

thesurge
    Participant

I am having problems with replies vanishing again. I sent a reply on Friday and one today which has disappeared.

thesurge
    Participant

@weaver – Did you see my reply to this topic on Friday? When I clicked submit it said the post would need moderation as it was either to0 long or had to0 many links.

What you said makes perfect sense. However it doesn’t quite match up with what I am seeing.

For me the only global setting that affects woo pages is ‘<b>Post Single Page</b>’ none of the Archive type page settings have any effect on woocommerce generated pages. This is OK in situations where woo creates an actual page or post, such as individual products, shop, checkout, account and I agree that per page options work which is a welcome feature.

But where I am having an issue is on woo product category and tag archives, these are like standard wordpress archives so don’t have a real page in admin, so no per page options are available. These woo archive pages also pick up on the ‘<b>Post Single Page</b>’ setting, I notice that they have a body class of ‘weaverx-page-single’.

Should they ideally pick up on the corresponding category and tag archive settings, or at least the ‘Archive-like-Default’?

thesurge
    Participant

Here are two examples of woo tag and category archive pages where the sidebar setting is coming from global Post Single Page setting, but I think should come from the appropriate archive setting.

https://watchmeswim.co.uk/product-tag/body-position/

https://watchmeswim.co.uk/product-category/beginner/

Private Reply
    Weaver
    Keymaster
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Private Reply
    thesurge
    Participant
    Private Reply
    Weaver
    Keymaster
    Weaver
    Keymaster

So I think there is a problem when displaying sidebars for Woo Products with  Woo Categories and Tags when they are displayed from a menu Category/Tag link. This is probably not actually a bug, but rather incomplete implementation of special recognition of special Woo pages and product posts.

They probably should follow the sidebar settings forArchive-like default, or Categories/Tags sidebars for Weaver Xtreme plus. I’m not sure just what setting they are using now – doesn’t seem to correspond to any sidebar option at the moment.

The reality is that if a Category or Tag archive page is being displayed, Weaver doesn’t seem to be handling Custom Post Types sidebar layout properly for any Custom Post Type, of which Woo Products is an example.

The custom per post settings do seem to work to show a custom sidebar layout for the single view options for each product.

Weaver Xtreme 4.4+ does properly show per page custom sidebar layout for any of the Woo standard page “Templates” (e.g. shop, cart, checkout, etc.)

thesurge
    Participant

@weaver

Thanks for taking a look, is this something that you might work on for V5?

Weaver
    Keymaster

I will be posting an updated version for 4.4 very soon. Discovered that the problem exists for adding normal Categories and Tags from Menu items (not from direct links or the Category/Tag widgets).

And it looks as if it will probably be impossible to treat Woo tags/categories as anything other than Archive-like for determining sidebar layout. Turns out because of the Woo implementation, that underneath it all that a “Product Category” is really not the same as a regular WP “Category” (or tags), so the Weaver Xtreme Plus options for Tag and Category sidebar layouts won’t apply to Woo Category on the Menu displays – they will just be Archive-like.

I might add a WooCommerce Category/Tag sidebar layout option in V5.

If you have any other Woo options you’d like to see, I’d appreciate knowing to consider adopting them for V5. For example, one option planned is the ability to set the button color for all the normal Woo buttons like “Purchase” or “Add to Cart”.

thesurge
    Participant

To customise anything in Woo requires a bit of digging with developer tools to find the right classes to target, options to alter the appearance of buttons would we welcome, as would any access to the styling of archive grids as they are very bland as standard.

This is an example of how I made a hover effect just to add some feedback from the grid: https://tdr-menswear.co.uk/product-category/suit-hire/lounge-suits/

but that site is set up as catalogue mode so much of the standard woo stuff has been changed.

Also, styling options for product headings, titles, related products, description tabs etc would all be useful.

Options to change the style and layout of individual product pages could be a good one.

thesurge
    Participant

@weaver

Just to follow up on this, the weaver update has improved the woo sidebar settings, thank you.

I am getting the following:

• Woo category and tag archives are picking up their sidebars from the global ‘Date Archive’ setting (not archive-like-default).
    • Woo product pages are now getting sidebar settings from the global ‘Page’ setting
    • Per page options are also still working where they are available.

This is much better as I now have separate global controls for the woo pages and woo archives.

Weaver
    Keymaster

I will have to check that, because that is not what was intended. It is supposed to be the Archive-Like default. At least that is how my test site works.

It is possible that the Date Archive (a Weaver Xtreme Plus option) is overriding that, which I don’t think I tested. I could not get the Plus Category/Tag settings to override the Archive-like settings, but perhaps the Date Archive option does work.

Weaver
    Keymaster

@thesurge:

The current 4.4.5 implementation for WooCommerce product category/tag was not quite right for the sidebar layout. It still does work with both the “normal” archive-like choice, and the date archive choice. BUT the date archive should NOT work if done correctly.

So, please switch to using the Archive-like layout, and leave the Date archive set to default.

The next release of Weaver Xtreme 4.4.x will fix this so that only the Archive-like choice will work with Woo Product Category/Tag layouts.

The good news is that for Weaver  Xtreme 5.0 with Weaver Xtreme Plus there will be a new dedicated option for WooCommerce Product Category/Tag layout. And there might possibly be a specific layout for the other WooCommerce pages, although I’m not sure that can work with the Woo shortcodes, so that may not happen.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.