Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Search results just return all posts/nothing

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    roesingape
    Participant

In the past month or so, hard to tell last time I searched the site, but within a couple months, any search using either the built in search widget or the weaver extreme short code returns nothing. By nothing I mean it just redisplays the 3 most recent posts, so basically the home page. If I hit previous results, it gives me the no results found page. Is there a way to rebuild the index? Nothing new has been added, though I’m sure some updates happened. Updated my php to 7.4, no change. http://www.roesingape.org

scrambler

Search indeed returns the home page. A few things to try

Go to settings > Permalink and resave the permalinks

Deactivate ALL non weaver plugin and see if that fixes it. If it does, reactivate one by one to find the culprit

roesingape
    Participant

Deactivated All in one SEO, now it returns the home page, but when I hit previous posts it gives me the search results… so.. improvement but not functional

scrambler

have you done the permalink test and have you tried deactivating ALL non weaver plugins?

roesingape
    Participant

I dunno what you mean by permalink test. I go to that page and hit save changes. I’ve deleted everything I can that doesn’t border on site breaking (it’s pretty light). I deleted jetpack and it went back to have a no results page when you hit previous post, then I went to permalinks and hit save changes again, and then it went back to showing the search results when I hit the previous post.

Weaver
    Keymaster

The search seems to be always going back to the home page instead of the search results page. This is not the expected behavior.

The search widget in the sidebar is the normal search widget.

There must be some plugin that is somehow breaking the search. As scrambler suggested, be sure you use Dashboard > Settings > Permalinks > Save Changes. Be sure you have picked the Common Settings value you want – using Post name gives the most standard url for each page or post.l It is possible since your site seems so date oriented that the Month and name might be a good alternative, too.

Beyond that, then there has to be a plugin that is breaking the search somehow. This is almost certainly not a theme issue.

scrambler

And don’t delete plugins, just deactivate them. Deactivating wont break anything long term, it is temporary and when you reactivate them everything goes back to normal.

Temporarily deactivating ALL non weaver plugin and testing the search will allow you to see if one of them is the problem.

if when you deactivate (NOT delete) all non weaver plugins the search works, then you reactivate them one by one testing search in between to see when the search breaks again. When the search breaks you know it is because of the last plugin you re activated.

roesingape
    Participant

My dudes. I have deactivated everything except weaver plugins and saved changes in permalinks 10 times and the problem remains the same. Move on from that supposition 🙂 I do appreciate the help 🙂 I have a lot of posts and I need to be able to search 🙁

scrambler

You should search on WordPress.org, as that is unlikely a theme issue.

I assume you have everything up to date, theme and plugins.

Also I forgot to ask, do you have a child theme, if so I would try without it

roesingape
    Participant

I’ll post on wordpress I guess. No, no child theme. Everything up to date. Tried different browsers cleared cache. Thanks.

roesingape
    Participant

Thing is on wordpress.org they always blame the theme 🙂

roesingape
    Participant

So I did a live preview of the 2020 base theme and the search results worked. Theme’s back on the menu boys! I’ve had weaver for like a decade. Eventually paid for it after using the free stuff. How do I un-break it?

scrambler

Actually, I just opened your site and searched for Time warp, and it returned the search page with the post matching the search.

Searching on google I also found out that Worpress returns the home page when the query is empty, this is normal behavior (although it can be changed by modifying the functions.php

roesingape
    Participant

You know, I saw another exchange on a forum over this where the OP couldn’t search but the mod could. Ended vague no answer. So, I can now search for warp but no other term. Beth, death, death beam, roesing, all produce the broken results. Wtf up w/ warp?

roesingape
    Participant

Specifically, time warp works, warp works, time alone does not work. Wth is this lol?

scrambler

So the issue is not that it returns the home page, but that search fails to return any results.

You need to focus your search on WordPress such fails to return results

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.