Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Search blog posts

Viewing 16 posts - 33 through 48 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    lostinspace
    Participant

Well, Saturday has turned into Wednesday somehow.  Your code seems to have worked beautifully.  Many thanks.  The only additional piece that I’d like to resolve is navigation of the “Articles of Interest”.  Although this is a blog it’s not really used as a blog but as a reference library.  Thus folks need to bee able to find an article that addresses their interests.  I understand how I can break pages of posts down by category, and how i can add tags, but I don’t know how to make my organization system available to visitors.  Can you help with that?

scrambler

The plugin search and filter I referenced allows you to add widgets to search post by categories, tags, keyword and more.

You need to experiment with that and see if it allows the type of search you want. Below is it documentation

http://docs.designsandcode.com/search-filter/

Then we can work on optimizing its look and layout if that is an issue.

If I remember well, its search options can be placed in a widget or in a page.

scrambler

Another plugin you can try is one called Collapsing categories.

It gives you a widget that allow an easy browsing of posts by categories with a lot of configuration options

https://wordpress.org/plugins/collapsing-categories/#description

lostinspace
    Participant

OK…I’ll work on it.  By the way, I was very inspired when I went to your “tip jar”.  I will make a donation to http://www.apneaap.org .  They do such important work.  Thank you for your efforts on their behalf.

scrambler

Thanks

lostinspace
    Participant

Hi Scrambler.  I’m back trying to tweak my article search functions after a hiatus from this.  I’m using Search & Filter which I’ve added to my “Articles of Interest” category page.  All my articles will be in that one category.  I’m having a couple of issues that I can’t figure out:

• on the pull down for categories I need to eliminate the “All Categories” and “Uncategorized” because they bring up web pages as well as articles.  I want the search to only be for the “Articles of Interest” category.  Is there a way to do this?    https://www.hvpi.net/articles-of-interest/
    • on cell and tablets the results of the searches are distorting the layout of the pages.  I have no idea how to address that.

Thank you for any help you can offer!

scrambler

1) I don’t know that you can exclude categories from the search filter drop down list. Other have asked that question on the plugin user form and did not get an answer. You may want to try and reach out to the plugin developer to confirm, or else  investigate other search plugins.

There would be a workaround but not ideal by doing the following

use the modified shortcode

[searchandfilter fields=”search,category,post_tag” types=”,checkbox,select”]

This will show the various category as check boxes. Then I can give you CSS to hide the checkboxes of the category you do not want visible. People will still have to check the box of the one remaining categories or else the search wont find anything.

2) I do not know what you mean by “on cell and tablets the results of the searches are distorting the layout of the pages” you will need to elaborate

3) I noticed your search page has the Sidebar on the right, and given you have CSS to shift that up, it overlaps the menu.

You should change the Search Sidebar layout to left like the other pages (Main options > Sidebar and layout > Search page)

If you actually want to keep the search page sidebar on the right, I can give you CSS to bring it back down.

lostinspace
    Participant

On my cell I can no longer see any navigation other than advancing or retreating to other posts.  I need to have the main navigation available so visitors can go back to the website’s pages.  On tablet the sidebar has gone to the right rather than the left where it belongs.  I’m confused about where to find the  (Main options > Sidebar and layout > Search page).  I’ll remind you that I have little knowledge of CSS.  You had me replace some of the CSS, but that’s as far as I could understand.

scrambler

Global sidebar layout can be found either in the legacy admin under Appearance > Xtreme Admin > Main options > Sidebar & Layout > Search page

or Appearance > Customize> Layout > Sidebars & Widget Areas > Search result 404 (at the bottom)

lostinspace
    Participant

You’ve been very patient with me and a huge help, but every time I change something it seems to mess something else up.  I’m assuming that this is due to the CSS  that was used when setting up this site.  You tweaked the code several weeks ago, but I’m certainly in over my head.  Putting the sidebar setting to ‘left’ changed the width and display of the sidebar.  I changed the percentage of the width to 35% but the bar and the pages have now had all kinds of display issues on cells and tablets.  Some pages are coming up  too large, so only a small percentage of the page shows.  When holding a cell vertically there is no navigation menu.  Horizontally it is there.  Is this fixable?

scrambler

Did you fix it?

I am seeing no sidebar on the search page, and the other pages appear to be back to normal.

Normally just undoing the settings made in the Sidebar & Layout settings would just return the site to what it was.

Removing the sidebar all together on the search page is an option, but if you want the sidebar on the search page, you can set it to left, but do not change the width in the settings as this applies to ALL pages and is probably wgy it messed up everything.

We can change the sidebar width on the search page with custom CSS if necessary, just post back when the sidebar is active on the left with its default width.

lostinspace
    Participant

I went back to defaults except changed blog post sidebar to the left.  It changed (narrowed) the sidebar width on all pages making it display incorrectly.  Again, on cell phones there is no visible navigation for post pages, only links to go the the next or previous posts.

scrambler

I think you activated the Primary and or secondary widget area Smart margin option.

This changes the Classes used by the theme and result in making all the CSS that was created on your site for the sidebar inactive.

Uncheck that option in

Main Options > Sidebar & Layout > Primary widget area > Add Side margin

Main Options > Sidebar & Layout > Secondary widget area > Add Side margin

lostinspace
    Participant

Doing that slid the entire sidebar’s contents down to the bottom half of the page on the desktop and tablet.  By the way there was nothing to uncheck on the seconadary sidebar section.

lostinspace
    Participant

I put the check back in the Main Options > Sidebar & Layout > Primary widget area > Add Side margin, just so my site can be used.  The display of the sidebar must be wider in order to display properly across the website, but I’m not sure how to do that without going to Sidebar Layout>Width % ___

scrambler

I am not following what you did or what is wrong here.

At this point is there something wrong?

If so, be VERY detailed and specific for each page involved and provide link to the page(s) that show the problem

Viewing 16 posts - 33 through 48 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.