Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Preparing a replacement page fully mirrored …

This topic contains 56 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Dave 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 57 total)
  • Author

Dave
    Participant

Greetings everyone.

I received much help in customizing our website copied from the live to a beta location.  Now, I’d like to create an exact full backup of the live site I’m going to replace and replace Weaver II Pro with Weaver Xtreme Pro.

The beta site will become a trail and error page, where I’ll transfer settings to the replacement page (more on that later) once completed.

And so, may I ask once again (sorry) for the initial steps needed to switch from Weaver II Pro to Xtreme Pro?  I remember a converter tool or something but can’t remember the exact process and/or links required.  Once I do this, I’ll be able to transfer the settings from the Xtreme Beta page to the replacement Xtreme replacement page which will be on standby.

So to summarize …

1. Backup original Weaver II Pro live site (all content changes will also be done to the Xtreme standby site in anticipation of making the switch)
    2. Restore original Weaver II backup Pro site into separate directory
    3. Activate Xtreme them on item #2 and add the Xtreme Pro plugin
    4. Follow steps to convert from Weaver II Pro to Xtreme Pro
    5. * Transfer settings from beta Xtreme to standby Xtreme replacement page
    6. Beta site will become the trial and error (beta) site with the objective of making successful changes to the Xtreme replacement page
    7. Eventually replace Weaver II Pro live site with Xtreme Pro

Any suggestions, are much appreciated.

Best,

David

Weaver
    Keymaster

I think the only sane way to do all this is to clone sites:

To me, the only way to clone a site now is with the plugin Duplicator.

It does everything for you. Taking a bit of time to read the directions will save you tons and tons of time duplicating a site.

i’ve used it several times, and it is just amazing.

1. First, clean up your site. Delete old versions of posts and pages. Clean out your Media Library if possible.
    2. Install Duplicator.
    3. I will backup ALL of your content and the database on a file – either on your server (if I recall correctly) to create a new site there, or downloaded to your computer.
    4. You then create the new URL root directory. Nothing else. Don’t put content except the bootstrap file created by Duplicator.
    5. Let Duplicator create the new site. Carefull fill in  the options to specify the new URL.

I don’t guarantee I got all these details exactly right, but compared to ANY other migration I’ve ever done, this is super simple.

scrambler

I assume you know about the article below for the conversion part 🙂

https://guide.weavertheme.com/converting-a-weaver-ii-pro-or-aspen-site-to-weaver-xtreme/

Weaver
    Keymaster

I just updated that article to include the above instructions for cloning.

Dave
    Participant

Thanks Weaver/Scrambler.

I use Backup Buddy — it has worked flawlessly for migrating/copying sites.

What I’m about to do is make a full backup/restore of the current live site (with latest updates) here after called ‘standby site‘ and start preparing it to replace the old theme (Weaver II Pro) once completed.  The current beta site (running Xtreme Pro) I’ll use to make changes, and practice tips and suggestions to make it like the one we have now.  Once the stuff works on the beta, then I’ll replicate (or hopefully transfer) those settings to the standby site.

On a separate note.  For days now I’m noticing something odd…

On my mobile device the Xtreme site locks up and doesn’t load all the time.  In contrast, desktop Xtreme has no issues.  This happens at home and the office and even as I type this post I’m looking at the phone and the Xtreme site is still loading.  If I go to settings on my iPhone, clear all Safari settings and go back it works for a few minutes then locks up again.  Ironically this doesn’t happen on the Weaver II Pro site.

Thoughts?

Weaver
    Keymaster

“Thoughts?”

Not without a link to the site. This is a new thread, and I really don’t want to sort through old posts to maybe find the site you might mean.

Dave
    Participant

Sorry. http://cdvps.org/beta.

I experimented with the width and think I messed it up some. I had it at 940px and am wondering what today’s standard width is.

Best,

david

scrambler

“On my mobile device the Xtreme site locks up and doesn’t load all the time.  In contrast, desktop Xtreme has no issues. “

Cant reproduce that, but you can try a couple of things

Clear any cache plugin you may be using

Deactivate ALL non weaver plugin, see if that fixes it. if it does, reactivate one by one to find the culprit

Weaver
    Keymaster

Your site worked perfectly on my iPhone and an Android phone. Looks nice.

By width, do you mean default width on a desktop for content? The newest Weaver Xtreme subthemes use 1100px as a default width. 940px is probably unnecessarily narrow these days. This forum is 1900px wide with 20px left/right padding. It also uses Extend BG for the header, info bar, and footer, just to give you and idea of what things can look like.

Dave
    Participant

Scrambler/Weaver-

Thank you for trying to replicate my issue. Maybe it’s something on my phone, but it just has happened on my iPad and on my wife’s iPad as well. I have all plug-ins disabled and it still does it on my end. Guess I can look at this two ways, good and bad.

Bad: I’ll have to try and figure out why this is happening to me on this end

Good: I was concerned I couldn’t use my plug-ins with Xtreme. However, now that this happens (on my end) with them all deactivated, it’s safe to say they’re not the culprit.

I’ll set the width to 1100px. Now that I’ve been experimenting with changing my tables to % from  px (thanks Scrambler), they seem to be working.

One table has me hung-up though. The lobby selection. When I go to that table each column has px, % settings. If I changed them all to 90% as I have been doing with the other tables (with no columns), each column would look strange relative to width?

So for a table with several columns, do I designate different percentages for each column to total 100%? (i.e Name: 20% |  Service Requested: 25% |  Tr: 5% etc.?

Best,

David

Gillian

Yes, the total width of your table (i.e. the width of all columns added together) should be less than or equal to 100%.

Dave
    Participant

Greetings.

I downloaded an app which allows me to record my screen as I browse. I need to upload it so I can share it here.

You’ll soon see the original Weaver II Pro site works flawlessly, yet Xtreme continues to lockup after navigating to several places.

I’ll have other folks in my office try in front of me to see what happens.

Best,

David

Dave
    Participant

All-

I had to temporally revert to Weaver II Pro as I need to showcase Neighborhood Services pages today and can’t risk instability.  I’ll go back to Xtreme after the presentation.

Thanks

David 🙁

Dave
    Participant

Thank you Gillian.

Best,

David

Dave
    Participant

Briefly.

I notice on the accordion style menu for Neighborhood Services it sorta bumps out to the right where a sub-menu exists. Is it suppose to do this, or can we make it consistent with the rest until one hovers over it?

Thanks,

David

Dave
    Participant

Thought I’d mention this guys.

I just went in to test the /beta site with Weaver II Pro and it too is freezing. Looks to be the Beta install not Xtreme itself.

Now I’m really lost. 🙁

David

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.