Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Please wait. Customizer Loading…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    rjohnson0706
    Participant

I just updated to the latest version. Now when I click on Customize I get a message “Please wait. Customizer Loading…” with a spinning wheel. It will not disappear and overlays part of the customizing navigation area. Is there a setting I need to change?

scrambler

this message will stay until the customizer finishes loading.

If it never goes away your customizer may never succeed to fully load.

Two questions:

• Do you see the customizer menus in the left pane.
    • Does the preview area on the right fills up with the Site preview

If the preview area never loads, you are using a combination of computer and browser that is not strong enough for the customizer. First thing to do is try a different browser like Chrome or FF.

For example, on an old Core 2 duo laptop with IE, the customizer never loads on Xtreme, but it does in chrome (15seconds)

Weaver
    Keymaster

Apparently we will need to add an option to disable the Customizer interface because some people won’t be able to use it.

rjohnson0706
    Participant

The customizer menus do appear. The preview window never loads – just see a spinning circle.

PC is a fairly new PC with 16GB memory running Windows 8. Am using FF.

scrambler
    If it is a fairly new PC with lots of memory, then I dont know what is going on.
    You may want to try and redo the latest WordPress update in The Dashboard > Update page
    rjohnson0706
    Participant

Upon further investigation the problem may be related to the plugin Theme My Login. Any time I set the static front page to a page created by this plugin (like the log in page) the problem occurs, even if I delete the entire contents of the page. As soon as I set the static front page to a page not created by Theme My Login, the customizer and preview page load fine. I am running the most current versions of all themes and plugins.

scrambler
    Deactivating ALL plugins is indeed the first thing to test.
    If the problem goes away when you do that, then reactivate one by one to find the culprit.
    Weaver
    Keymaster

This is interesting. I no longer use Theme My Login because it had other issues. I’m not sure they’ve really kept up with their plugin.

Perhaps this should be reported to them.

I’m using a combination of options on Wordfence and Blue Login Style.

edwardsmarkf
    Participant

i disabled all of my plug-in’s and the problem was fixed.

then i CAREFULLY enabled each plug-in, one by one, each time refreshing this page to see if the problem reoccurred:
    the problem child:
    WordPress MU Domain Mapping

Map any blog on a WordPress website to another domain.

Version 0.5.5.1 | By Donncha O Caoimh | View details
    i guess a temporary workaround is to disable this whenever you want to do any customizing?

or better yet, is there a way we can just disable the 
    Please wait. Customizer Loading…
    edwardsmarkf
    Participant

note – this issue appears to affect other themes as well – i am going to post this on a wordpress site as well.

any other suggestions would be most appreciated.
    has anybody seen this?
    scrambler
    If the plugin is preventing the customizer from loading, there is nothing that can be done on the theme side except no use the customizer, and use the regular Xtreme Admin instead under Appearance
    This will have to be fixed by the plugin developer
    edwardsmarkf
    Participant
    i get the impression when two plugins might have a compatibly issue, you get into some finger-pointing as to whose problem it really is (sorta like the USA deficit and the political parties)
    the MU-wp site was originally created using a clone plugin.   maybe this particular cloned site had some issue with it, so maybe i will create another one and see if the new one has the same issue.
    either way, i should probably investigate this unless i get a better idea soon:
    scrambler

Unless I misunderstood what you said, it does look like a plugin issue.

You said if you remove that plugin, then the customizer works, AND the same happens with other themes. So clearly that plugin has an interaction with several themes causing the customizer to not load.

That said, it may be that this plugin is using a lot of javascript, and that the sum of all the javascript needed for the customizer on a theme with a lot of customizer options like weaver AND the plugin chokes browsers.

So I see two possibilities.

1- The plugin is doing something wrong that chokes the customizer and it can be fixed by the plugin developer. Given it does it with more than one theme, they should want to investigate the issue.

2- The plugin is doing nothing wrong, but adds so much javascript load to the already large javascript load from the Xtreme customizer that it chokes browsers. If that is the case, there will be no solution until WordPress finds a more efficient way to load the customizer.

Weaver
    Keymaster

WordPress MU Domain Mapping seems to be a plugin with possible severe issues.

I’m not sure that MU Domain Mapping can be fixed, but what it does is really muck around with your .htaccess file. Its purpose is to map a standard domain name (e.g., example.com) to a WordPress MultiSite subdomain name (e.g., example.example-multi-site.com).

The customizer is also doing some very tricky things, and it seems very likely to me that the two things will have real conflicts.

I have personally used WordPress MU Domain Mapping in the past, but only on very stable websites. I also think that a better alternative might be to simply forward the “real” domain name to the MultiSite equivalent – or even better – just make its own hosted site. I do not think it is wise to use WP MultiSite in this manner. I just don’t really see the need to try a MultiSite solution for a regular domain using a domain mapping plugin – a clean standard WP install for each site is really much better. Any modern hosting plan I know about these days allows for at least a few hosted domains on a single account. Much better solution that MultiSite.

I would be interested in a well-thought-out reason for trying to host a site using MU Domain Mapping.

edwardsmarkf
    Participant

“well-thought-out-reason”:  we have about 20+ WP sites to maintain.  its far easier to maintain one WP site than 20 stand-alone sites, particularly around update-time.  these sites are very limited what i allow people to do.  when you get into all the login-security, firewall stuff, etc, its much easier for just one site.  

and, the primary users of each site know nothing whatsoever about WP, let alone websites.   so when they suddenly start getting messages like “all-in-one SEO pack has new options that are not enabled by default!” they just automatically get hold of me rather than reading about it themselves.   now multiply that by 20+, and well you get the idea.
    UPDATE:  since when you get down to the basics, i am an extraordinarily nice guy.   i just ran the page with and without the mu-domain-mapping plugin.  here is what i saw in the console:
    XMLHttpRequest cannot load http://childDomain[dot]com/. No ‘Access-Control-Allow-Origin’ header is present on the requested resource. Origin ‘http://childDomain[dot]parentDomain[dot]com’ is therefore not allowed access.
    Weaver
    Keymaster

Thanks for the follow up.

While not yet proven, I also strongly suspect the MU Mapping plugin is breaking the Weaver Xtreme Plus registration processing, but that is a totally different story.

With that many sites, I do see the advantages of a MultiSite. My own solution to that particular issue is to use InfiniteWP. If your sites are all very similar, then the MultiSite makes a lot of sense. All my 20+ sites are very different with different goals, users, and plugins, so the MultiSite solution is less appropriate, while InfiniteWP is an excellent solution.

But given that the MU Mapping issue applies to other themes as well, it seems pretty clear that there is code within the Customizer itself that is not working with the mapping.

If this always breaks the Customizer, even for things like the Widget Areas, Custom Menus, WP Background properties, and WP Header properties (all of which are now found on the Customizer), then I really think MU Mapping is going to have to find a fix for the issue. I’m sure your above access control diagnostic will be helpful. That really reveals a lot, and is on the lines of what I suspected in my last reply.

If it is just the Weaver Xtreme specific stuff, you can disable the Weaver Xtreme Customizer interface from the legacy options interface (Appearance : Weaver Xtreme Admin : Advanced Options : Admin Options : Disable Customizer), and just use the legacy interface. But then the other WP based Customizer options might still fail.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.