Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Placeholder text in Search box no longer translated, nor adjustable

Topic Resolution: Resolved

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  kiezels 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

kiezels
    Participant

Hi,

With the updated Weaver Xtreme theme the placeholder text for the search box is no longer translated. It reads “Search for:”, even though in the language file its translation is present.

And it is no longer possible to enter your own placeholder text?

Weaver
    Keymaster

It never has been possible to set a custom placeholder.

In the first release (4.0, maybe 4.0.1) there was a translation issue, but that should have been fixed by 4.0.2, certainly in 4.0.3.

I don’t entirely understand how the whole translation system works, but it is possible there is some caching issue somewhere along the line.

If I remember correctly, the person who first reported the problem said the fix changed the placeholder text correctly.

Which language has the issue?

kiezels
    Participant

This custom place holder text was an option in Weaver II Pro, under tab General Appearance > Search Message 😉

In the site I’m currently building I’m using Weaver Xtreme version 4.0.3 and the Dutch language.
    I also have a website with Weaver Xtreme version 3.2.3, here the default search message is correctly translated to Dutch.

Weaver
    Keymaster

I guess that option was not included in Weaver Xtreme.

This is some sort of WordPress.org issue. At some point in the past year or so, most translations are being controlled by WordPress, and apparently all the translations files supplied directly with the theme are not being used directly. I don’t understand why, but the translation for Search for: has apparently been broken for Weaver Xtreme 4.0. I will try to figure out how to work around this, but it is somewhat of a mystery!

Weaver
    Keymaster

I found the issue. One of the internal translation functions used by search code new to V 4 has changed its semantics. Using a different translation function seems to have fixed the issue.

I wasn’t aware of this, but apparently Weaver Xtreme (and most other themes as well, I suppose) now has translations (at least partial) for almost all of the languages supported by WordPress because of the new central translation database. Very nice!

V 4.0.4 will be posted shortly with the translation fix.

kiezels
    Participant

Thank you

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.