Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme page with posts 2 column – want most posts to be in right column only

Topic Resolution: Resolved

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Laura_D 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Laura_D
    Participant

page with posts two column generally posts left to right in weaver  Xtreme Plus.  I want most of the posts to be in the right column only.  How do I do that?  Or how do I control which column is used for a particular post?

Thanks

Weaver
    Keymaster

I don’t know of any way to do that. There are two kinds of column splitting – using the CSS columns styling, which results in two equal height columns with posts first placed vertically in the left column, followed by later posts in the right column, or using the split column method where posts are left, right, left, right, etc.

But there is no way to control left and right.

Laura_D
    Participant

Thank you so much for your rapid reply !!!!  If I want to do the CSS column splitting styling, how would I set that up?

scrambler

Before we can help, you need to define how you want to split the posts between the columns. “Most of the posts” does not mean anything quantifiable 🙂

Do you want a fixed number of posts in the first column, like 4, then everything else in the second one?

Do you just want posts in the first column to be more spaced?

Unless you clearly state what you want, we cant devise a solution 🙂

scrambler

To put the first n posts in the first column, an the rest in the second column, you would use HTML to create the two columns as explained in the article below

https://guide.weavertheme.com/responsive-columns-and-widgets/

Then you would use the Weaver Show posts Plugin, Create one filter for the first  n posts, and one filter for the rest (using the “number of posts to skip over” option)

Then insert the shortcode for the first show post filter in the first column div, and the second show posts shortcode in the second column div

Laura_D
    Participant

Scrambler – These are some good ideas.  I do have Weaver Xtreme Plus with the x-plus-flex widget.   Essentially, this seems to say you can do this using widgets to create your design.  Correct?

I’ll need to study it more.  Let’s say – 2 posts on the left side and 4 on the right.  Can you put individual posts into a widget?  Or do you need to simply copy and paste the post content into a “visual editor” widget ?

Thanks.

Weaver
    Keymaster

There is a plugin called Widget Shortcode that will allow you to put widgets anywhere – very nice, and likely helpful for your situation.

My previous answer was under the assumption that you wanted a way to layout the standard flow of posts – like on a blog page. If you have just a few specific posts (or category/tag) of posts so show in specific spots, then using Widget Shortcode to display Weaver Xtreme Plus flex widgets with [show_posts] in them might be the approach to try.

Laura_D
    Participant

Weaver, Scrambler,  With your help, I found a solution !!   Here is what I did and why it worked.

I used the page with posts template.  Set the page for 1 column.

In settings for page with post template  – I chose display post in 2 columns then used masonry 2 columns

Before choosing masonry two columns : post one on the left was one very long post.. post 2 on the right short post. then post 3 on the left – another short post followed post one.  So, the left side was very long and only one short post was on the right.

When I selected masonry 2 columns, it pushed short post 3 under short post 2.  ( out of the left right, left right order).  That’s what I wanted!!

So, when one column is very long (on the left) by using masonry, all the short posts will automatically follow each other in column two.

Thank you for your support.

Laura_D

Laura_D
    Participant

Weaver – Just read your post about the plug-in Widget Shortcode.  Excellent idea.  Useful to know about this.

Weaver, Scrambler, When I have needed to organize a page using widgets, I have been using PageBuilder by Site Origin.   It seems to work well with Weaver Xtreme Plus.  I rarely use it though.   Do you or other support contributors have an opinion about this PageBuilder method?

Thanks again,

Laura_D

scrambler

Well, we would have mentioned masonry from the start if you had explained that your problem was, which was that you had dead space between posts when they have different heights…

Always start by explaining what is the problem you are trying to solve, rather than asking for what you think is a solution 🙂

Laura_D
    Participant

Scrambler:

Sorry I wasn’t clear.  Actually, the problem was more about the content and meaningful columns, rather than dead space.  The way it worked out was that masonry, happened to use the “dead space” issue to correct the content and meaning problem by putting the desired posts in column 2.

In any case, if not for your replies and support, I would not have found the solution.

Laura_D

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.