Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Menu duplicated whenever I make changes

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    chriscob
    Participant

Whenever I make a minor menu change on the site I’m working on (http://european-experiences.com/NewEE/) and save the change, I discover that every single menu item has been duplicated, so I have to laboriously go back and delete each one.  There are a LOT of many items on this site, so it is a real pain.  Have I inadvertently enabled some setting that I didn’t mean to, or is this a bug?  If it’s a bug, how do I work around it without having to spend all this time deleting menu items?  

scrambler

Can you be more specific.

Are you creating your menus using WordPress Custom Menus in Appearance > menus.

When you say menu items get duplicated, do you actually see them duplicated in the list of menu items that appears in Appearance > menus.

If you have a lot of menu items, you may be hitting a variable limit in WordPress.

The article below may help you increase the max variable that can cause your menus to go crazy or disapear

Host Configuration: PHP max_input_vars

chriscob
    Participant

I am creating the menus using wordpress menus, NOT custom links.  When I change a menu item and save it, each menu item is listed twice, ie. Home Home About Us About Us etc.  The menus work fine on the old version of the site using WordPress’s Twenty Ten (a child theme of that, actually), but do this crazy thing on the new site I’m creating with Weaver Xtreme.  There are the same number of menu items on both versions of the site.  Since the other site works fine, I don’t think it is a WordPress problem.

I’m not even sure where “WordPress Custom Menus” is.  I see custom links, but no such thing as Custom Menus.

scrambler

By “WordPress Custom Menu” I said I meant that you create your menu manually in Appearance > menus, by opposition with letting WordPress create the menu automatically from whatever pages you create.

“There are the same number of menu items on both versions of the site.  Since the other site works fine, I don’t think it is a WordPress problem.”

menu are only managed by WordPress, so either something is wrong with WordPress, or some combination of things (plugin / theme is causing the issue).

One of the known issue with WordPress menus is the Max variable parameter I mentioned. these variables are used by the menus but also by plugins and theme. As a result, a specific combination can lead to the max being reach and causing all sort of problems (Xtreme uses a Lot of these variable and can definitely contribute to reaching the default limit.

This is why a good thing to do regardless, is to set this max variable to 20000 using the appropriate method as explained in the article I referenced.

Other things you can try are:

Deactivate ALL non weaver plugins and see if that makes a difference (if it does reactivate one by one)

Redo the latest WordPress Update from the Dashboard > Update

chriscob
    Participant

I just had to make a menu change, so this time I watched very carefully what happened.  I just added one menu item to the end of the list, and the duplication did not happen.   So I obviously haven’t given you complete information about the conditions that this problem.  You can close this if you like and I’ll watch all my menu changes and see if I can identify  what causes the problem and get back to you if it happens again.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.