Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Menu Does not Appear

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    billsall
    Participant

I have an installation of Weaver Xtreme in 2 locations – in one location, the menu appears ‘at the top’ per settings (http://www.eurekaenterprises.net/wordpress).  Review of code shows menu code.  In another location (godaddy wordpress – http://karenschuppert.com), the menu not only does not appear, the code appears to be missing when I do a view code… What in the world is wrong?  Using wordpress 4.2.3.

scrambler

Start by deactivating ALL non weaver plugins and see if that fixes the problem.

If it does, reactivate one by one to find the culprit

Also let us know if you are using a child theme, and if yes try without it. if the child theme is doing it, you will have to detail what you did in it

Weaver
    Keymaster

I’d suspect an empty Custom Menu being selected.

billsall
    Participant

Custom Menu?  Where is custom menu?  I selected an existing menu.  No empty custom menu…

Weaver
    Keymaster

Are you using the default menu, or did you select a menu defined in the Appearance : Menus section? That is where “Custom Menus” are defined.

If the menu you select there happens to be empty, or now undefined, no menu will show. That is the only think I can think of that would lead to no menu being generated – some faulty definition or selection in the custom menu admin page. Either that, or the Weaver option for hiding the menu has been selected. No other way to have no Menu HTML generated – other than perhaps a defective plugin.

billsall
    Participant

WOW.  First, I eliminated child theme and the menu appeared.  The child theme only rewrote the post-meta-info (can provide code if you like).  But that seems to have only been a fleeting fix…

Now, the menu has disappeared again.  There is something VERY ODD going on.  Again, not working on:  karenschuppert.com and working on eurekaenterprises.net/wordpress.  I am very suspcious of the non-working site because it is hosted on godaddy and godaddy has a ‘special’ wordpress managed environment… and they’ve been having a lot of problems.  But those are supposedly fixed now…

I’ve removed all plugins but askimet.  I need to know what could be in the godaddy environment that could be doing this… please help.

scrambler

Can you confirm if you are using a Menu defined in Appearance > menu, and that this menu is indeed there.

If you are 100% sure that you have no child theme active and no plugins active, then something is messed up. I know akismet should not be the issue, but make a test deactivating ALL plugin just to be sure.

A javascript problem could interfere with the menu.

If you are indeed using a menu created in Appearance > menu and properly allocated to the menu bar in Appearance > Menus > Manage Location, I would try creating a New Custom menu in Appearance > Menus > Edit Menus, and switching your menu bar to this new menu in Appearance > Menus > Manage Location,  to see if that makes a difference, in case your menu is corrupted.

Next step would be to redo the latest wordpress update in appearance Update.

Next step would be to save settings in Save Restore as well as download all settings from the same page, then switch to a different theme, Delete all weaver themes and plugins, and reinstall from scratch the Weaver Xtreme theme and the  Weaver Xtreme Theme support plugin  (all your settings should be back)

billsall
    Participant

I can absolutely guarantee that ther is a standard menu, that there is no child them and that no plugins are active.

I am seriously considering leaving godaddy.

scrambler

You are not answering the questions. Is the menu used a menu created in Appearance > menus or not?

If it is, it is worth trying to create a new one and allocating that one, as something could have gotten corrupted.

Same for the other tests.

billsall
    Participant

I was advised by godaddy to move my site off of their  ‘managed wordpress’ – the environment sucks.

Weaver
    Keymaster

There is one thing that does seem another possibility.

Whenever you change themes, including to a child theme, WordPress will “forget” what menus were assigned. It doesn’t forget the menu definitions, just which were assigned. So if you assigned in the parent, then switched to a child, the menu could be blank. If you tried to change the menu selected, and changed back to the parent, same thing could happen.

billsall
    Participant

I moved from godaddy ‘managed wordpress’ hosting service and the problem immediately went away.

scrambler

Thank you for reporting back, you are the second or third person reporting problem with Godaddy “Managed WordPress” environment.

I don’t know what they do, but it is obviously screwing things up

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.