Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Looking to make the switch …

Topic Resolution: Resolved

This topic contains 45 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  scrambler 8 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 33 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author

scrambler

Your form are made with unresponsive tables.

Tables are always hard to make responsive, but at a minimum they should use width set in percentages.

In the page you linked to, the table is set to a fixed width of 654px, instead of using 100%.

First check if your plugin has an option to set the width in percentage.

If you dont see any ask the plugin developer, and if he does not have it, he really should offer that option.

If you get nowhere we can look if we can generate overriding rules to improve responsiveness

Dave
    Participant

Hi Scrambler-

Thanks again for your help.  How you’re able to see the table width is amazing stuff.

I made a change of 100% to that table vs. 654px fixed.  However, I had to also change some row and header settings from no wrap to wrap.

Maybe I’ll see if just changing the table to 100% will suffice on its own. Changing each data page to no wrap is major labor intensive but if that’s what needs to be done I’ll have to do it.

Have another look and see if you can tell the difference.

Best,

David

scrambler

It seems to be working well now.

Finding these out is actually fairly easy, you just need to learn to use your browser developer tools.

Here is an old article I had written on the subject.

http://guide.weavertheme.com/basic-tips-on-using-the-developer-tools-like-firebug-to-resolve-styling-issues/

Dave
    Participant

Checked several different options and unfortunately the responsive design is not for us.  I would like to remain with Weaver if possible, and so I’m wondering if there’s a way (CSS, plugin, or otherwise) to “disable” the responsive feature.  I’ve seen several articles about this from folks who prefer to opt-out or at least offer a toggle for viewing customers, but I prefer not to mess with code I’m not thoroughly familiar with.

If nothing can be done, I’d like to donate my registration (single site) to someone who can make better use of Xtreme.

Please let me know.

Thanks again for all your help and understanding.

David

scrambler

No way to remove responsiveness in Xtreme.

Dave
    Participant

Thanks Scrambler-

I’m really sorry to hear this. For my sake, let’s hope Weaver II Pro (an excellent theme), will hang in there until we find something that at the least gives one the option of how they want a site displayed. It really shouldn’t be an end all be all approach (IMO).

As I said, I’ll gladly donate my registration to someone who can make the best use of Xtreme.  Maybe you know of a theme which allows you to toggle this feature (by way of a child theme, or otherwise)?

Best,

David

Weaver
    Keymaster

As far as I can tell, the move to completely responsive design is essentially universal.

There is one other option – not one most people like – you can enable a mobile specific alternate theme. The best known example is the Mobile only theme provided by JetPack. There are no options or other control over the look, but it will be a totally different look than the standard desktop view.

Dave
    Participant

Thanks Mr. Weaver

Think I’ll get at least another 7-8 years out of Weaver II Pro?

Its not that I don’t want to make the switch.  I’m m just having a major hard time adjusting my dstabase tables/forms, etc.

I can take care of all the tables used for forms using a custom style I just created, but the other ones are seriously affecting my blood pressure. 🙁

I’m also not sure how far I can bother you guys here. Many of your folks here are power coders, like you, Scrambler, Joy, etc. I’m not ashamed to say I feel stupid at times, but don’t know where else to turn.

If you can tolorate my ignorance then I’d be glad to continue my quest to bring Xtreme to where it needs to be. I’m soooooo close, and that’s what makes it so frustrating.

This weekend my wife had to tell me to walk away after almost 5 hrs trying where she noticed my frustration. You can imagine my concern when you’re constantly worried that Weaver II Pro may “suddenly” stop working and I have nothing in place to replace it except backups which won’t matter if the old theme won’t work anymore.

David

Weaver
    Keymaster

I don’t know about 7 years, but probably at least another year or two. There are some design changes in the planning stage at WordPress.org that could possibly affect older themes. But  there are LOT of sites still working fine with older themes, and WP.org has to try to keep them mostly compatible.

But there are also a LOT of oder themes that don’t work quite right any more – exactly. They issue PHP warning errors if you have the WP_DEBUG setting true in your config.php. Many may not be compatible with PHP7.

At this point, I am at least maintaining that level of compatibility with Weaver II. It does not issue PHP errors, and is compatible with PHP 7.

Dave
    Participant

Thanks Mr. Weaver-

This certainly gives me some breathing room to try and make Xtreme work for us. I’d like to stay with the same design/layout many have become accustomed to. Also, my previous experience with Weaver has been stellar when it comes to the theme and support.

That being said, since I have breathing room, so I hope you don’t mind my questions for help as I move forward with Xtreme.

Scrambler was able to see the size of my tables and knew they were fixed at 654px vs. using 100% which I found absolutely amazing how he did that. Wish I knew 5% of what you guys know.

Bottom line is I don’t feel like I’m racing against the clock for fear Weaver II Pro will “suddenly” stop working any day now.

I’ll be in touch, if you don’t mind. I may start a new topic based on the area I need help with so others may benefit from the answer(s) provided.

Best,

David

Weaver
    Keymaster

New topics on specifics questions is a good idea.

scrambler

If the only reason you are not switching is because of tables, we can have a look at each of them and see what is the best fix.

At the very minimum, what we may be able to do is use a simple Min width rule on the wrapper for these pages,  to force the wrapper not to scale down, or set the containers to overflow visible so the tables are not cut.

that will mean people will have to scroll to see the whole table, which is what they have to do now anyway.

So dont give up for that reason, just post a link to another page with a table, and we will have a look.

If we do get tired to help, we will say so, no need to give up before we do 🙂

Dave
    Participant

Hi Scrambler-

Thanks for the follow up. I took your advice and have been changing my tables from px to 100%. This is causing the tables to wrap to the smaller screen size as opposed to being cut off. In fact, if you have a look at the Home and Contact Sub Menu down to Department Directory you’ll see the progress I’ve made (thanks to your table suggestion).

The Department Directory table I couldn’t make work, so I created a regular WordPress table and I’m in the process of entering all the info.  It’s a slow process and lots of work but in the end will be worth it because I’ll continue using this great theme.

Yes, the tables was the culprit giving me major headaches.  However, after you mentioned % for tables, I started looking into that. I never quite understood how that really works.

Thanks again Scrambler.

Best,

David

scrambler

OK

On some tables using % for the various width may not be sufficient, but even then there are other tools we can use to change the styling like font size and padding only on mobile devices, that can help make them work on small devices.

And even if you end up with a table that just cannot shrink properly on a small device, we will have solutions so people can scroll and see the whole thing.

Also keep in mind that if some content definitely requires tables, some content can be dealt with using multiple columns and widgets for witch Xtreme has many tools like New Flex Column Widget described on the guide below
    https://guide.weavertheme.com/x-plus-flex-widget-usage-and-customizations/

And of course any of the widget area can also be organized in multiple responsive widgets
    https://guide.weavertheme.com/widget-area-layouts/

Just bring them up as you get to them 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 33 through 46 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.