Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Looking to make the switch …

Topic Resolution: Resolved

This topic contains 45 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  scrambler 6 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 17 through 32 (of 46 total)
  • Author

Dave
    Participant

“That is the way to do it.” ~ Weaver

Mr. Weaver – unfortunately, not quite that simple. 🙁

• Did not eliminate page titles (do I need to now remove each individual page title?)
    • Have some kind of border shown on the front page around my table
    • Did not carry forward the header image
    • Still shows a thin white line between the footer and content area meet where the widget “flow to bottom” color is supposed to go (no suggestions on the forum on how to correct this).
    • Doesn’t seem to get along with our Caspio Cloud Database embedding.  All pages which contain this embedded area display a sorta slight hesitation (kind of like a hiccup or jolt before the page loads)
      • For example:
      • http://cdvps.org/new home page load, no issues
      • On the left widget, click on: Raptor Bay, Building Green, Solar Ready (no issues with loading). The moment you click on Now Hiring Widget or About Us under Contact, you’ll see a slight delay and jump.  Doesn’t happen with Weaver II Pro.

Weaver
    Keymaster

Sorry – reply to wrong question.

Weaver
    Keymaster

Normally, saving and uploading theme settings will duplicate things exactly as before. Don’t know where little lines, etc. are coming from.

There are some important differences:

The header is a WordPress feature, and is set per site. That will have to be done manually.

Per Page and Per Post options have to be converted, too, after you switch to Weaver Xtreme. You have to run on the live site. This is on the converter tool under Convert Per Page and Per Post Settings. Generate a the report first to see what will be converted, and what not. After you run the converstion, the old Weaver II settings are still three, but no longer needed.

It is very unlikely that an interaction with a plugin or external content provider has anything to do with the theme. That sort of functionality is not related to style at all, but rather content which a theme doesn’t touch.

Dave
    Participant

Mr Weaver. I saw your reply via email message and this is why I’m humbly asking for help to get the site where it meets today’s standards for accessibility.

Know I mean no offense. I’m merely not as savvy as coders or many web designers. That’s not saying I’m unapproachable or unwilling to learn, take advice and opening accept constructive criticism.

Any help you and/or the many power users you have here will be much appreciated.

Best,

David.

Weaver
    Keymaster

Sorry – because this topic has gone to paging, I got a bit lost and I saw the earlier question, and answered it again, after you’d already acknowledged the need for mobile design. The sentiments are the same, but you already had understood our information.

So that was unnecessary repetition. Duh.

My last response was to the REAL last question, not the phantom one.

scrambler
    1- You can add space between you recent post widgets list by adding the rule below in Main options > Fonts & Custom > Custom CSS Rule Box
    #recent-posts-2 li {margin-bottom:10px;}
    2- The thin line below the side bar comes from a 5px bottom margin set on the Primary widget area. Probably in Main options > Sidebar Layout > Primary widget area section

scrambler

About The “hiccup” when the “now Hiring page” loads, The only one I see is a horizontal shift due to the fact that for a moment there is no Vertical scrollbar, and once the page is loaded, the vertical scrollbar I back.

This happens because there is a delay in loading the sidebar which is the reason for the vertical scrollbar.

Now sure what is delaying the sidebar display. You may want to try deactivating all non weaver plugin and see if that fixes it. If so reactivate one by one to find the culprit

Dave
    Participant

Hi Scrambler-

As always, spot on!! I had 5 on lower padding for primary, secondary, etc. because I was trying to accomplish what you just helped me with: #recent-posts-2 li {margin-bottom:10px;} 

i removed that, added the code you sent me and that fixed two issues at once. Thank you.

‘The hiccup issue. I think it may have to do with the Caspio table embedding. I may have it too wide and maybe it’s pushing the sidebar out some?  Please forgive me if this sounds grossly stupid, I’m just guessing at this point.

Now im trying to tweak the following:

• For some unknown reason I have a white background on the menu bar for the page I’m on. I didn’t select that (or if I did, I don’t know how), but I read each menu line item  in the menu section looking for background, text, hover, etc in colors and can’t seem to find the culprit. 
    • A little spacing between the header on the announcements widget and content would be nice. Also each widget it tight up against each other vertically.

Finally, as we make these tweaks I’m saving them using the save feature in the theme. Hate to lose this stuff as I couldn’t replicate your code.

‘Thanks again Scrambler and Weaver for your time and willingness to help.

Best,

David

Gillian

Re “white background on the menu bar for the page I’m on” , if by page you are on you are referring to the current page, check the colour in Current Page BG: under Main Options > Menus > Options: All Menus (about 2/3 of the way down the page).

scrambler

1- “I may have it too wide and maybe it’s pushing the sidebar out some?”

We may have cross posted, reread my post above your.
    “About The “hiccup” when the “now Hiring page” loads, The only one I see is a horizontal shift due to the fact that for a moment there is no Vertical scrollbar, and once the page is loaded, the vertical scrollbar I back.

This happens because there is a delay in loading the sidebar which is the reason for the vertical scrollbar.

Now sure what is delaying the sidebar display. You may want to try deactivating all non weaver plugin and see if that fixes it. If so reactivate one by one to find the culprit”

2- I  dont see any white background on the menu bar, you need to elaborate

3- Space below Widget title:

To add space below ALL widget titles, add the CSS rule below in Main options > Sidebar & Layout > Individual Widgets > Widget Title BG

{margin-bottom:10px;}

To only add space below the title of that particular widget, add the rule below in MAin options > Fonts & Custom > Custom CSS Rule box

#recent-posts-2 .widget-title {margin-bottom:10px;}

Dave
    Participant

Gillian, that did it. Yes!!!!!  Thank you for that fix. 

Scrambler, that code added some nice separation between each individual widget. Thank you for this fix as well. I used the same code and added it to the widget title background CSS section to create a little separation between the title and widget contents. That one I experimented on my own using your code of course, and it worked!!

Also the white menu background was not showing up on my desktop, but it was showing up on my iPad. Julian’s fix took care of that.

I’m going to keep tweaking and building to get the site where it needs to be. Of course, saving every step of the way.

One thing I’ll certainly need help with is settings to make the site mobile friendly. By this I mean, making it so it conforms to today’s viewing and design as Scrambler and Weaver suggested.

I’ll keep everyone posted as I fiddle around with stuff. I have an idea in the works relative to the hiccup issue. I’ll let you know shortly how that turns out.

Best,

David

Dave
    Participant

Yikes. I just saw this Scrambler:
    #recent-posts-2 .widget-title {margin-bottom:10px;}

I’ll change it from the way I did it.

Dave
    Participant

Hello everyone, thanks again for your help. I’m working on the mobile friendly portion of the design. I activated the menu button so it slides the menu down when you click it. On a side note, I asked my wife to look at the old site vs. the one we’re working on and she immediately said this one (mobile friendly one) looks way better. She took me to her employer’s site (she’s a Librarian) and showed me how their site changes from desktop to mobile: https://www.leegov.com/library

Their button actually says MENU which would be a nice added touch.  It also shows a sub menu which is what mine does once you press the menu button.

Now, I must ask the following:

Is it common to rotate to landscape mode when viewing sites on much smaller devices? I’m running an iPhone 7+ and there are times I just have to view in landscape to see everything.

For example, if you view any of our forms page in portrait, you can’t see the updated date column.  However, once you go landscape it’s visible.  In fact, any other area of the site where a portion is cut-off works perfectly when viewed in landscape mode.

Example: http://cdvps.org/beta/zoning/

Do I need to redesign everything, for the really small devices or do folks normally switch orientation when viewing. If changing orientation is common, how do they know?

Maybe I can put a header that reads “Better viewed in landscape mode” when it switches to mobile view?

I’m stumped on this one. 🙁

Best,

David

Weaver
    Keymaster

On the Legacy Option Interface: Main Options : Menus : Options: All Menus : Mobile Menu “Hamburger” Label. You can add Menu there if you prefer that to the essentially universally understood Hamburger icon.

The example you provided seems to be generated by an plugin or other link. That is where the real problem is. Ideally, that “app” or whatever generates the list of documents and dates should be updated to generate responsive output instead of fixed width content which gets clipped on narrow devices.

But – yes, you could put a little note above or below the list that “This page may need to be viewed in Landscape on mobile devices.” or similar.

Private Reply

Weaver
    Keymaster
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Private Reply

Dave
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
Viewing 16 posts - 17 through 32 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.