Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Looking to make the switch …

Topic Resolution: Resolved

This topic contains 45 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  scrambler 4 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 46 total)
  • Author

Dave
    Participant

Greetings everyone.

Ive been a loyal Weaver II Pro v 2.2.3 user for some time and absolutely love the responsiveness and stability.  However, as the web changes, I need to remain pro-active because I fear this version of Weaver II Pro may suddenly stop working leaving our site out of commission.  This is something I try to avoid and so I have been playing with Xtreme to “try and replicate” what I have now.

I use it for simple CMS (though one day I may venture into a more enhanced design using Extreme).  I had some of the heavy hitters here which are extremely savvy with code help me once before (forgot my previous name so I had to re-register).

I’ll gladly upgrade to Extreme Pro if I can accomplish the same look and feel we currently have using Weaver II Pro.

Any suggestions?  I’ll gladly pay/donate for someone who’s more familiar with this theme to help me out.

Weaver
    Keymaster

Dave
    Participant

Hello Mr. Weaver.

As always, thank you for the speedy response and excellent customer support.  Unfortunately, I tried this methodology and can’t seem to make the site mirror each other.  Not sure if upgrading to Extreme Plus will provide that functionality since it has greater control over the features.  If so, I’ll upgrade right away.

Here are the sites:

Original using Weaver II Pro: http://cityofbonitaspringscd.org/

My attempt with Extreme: http://cdvps.org/beta/

You’ll see I’m somewhat close, but numerous items (like the menu bar font/size, etc.) I just can’t seem to make it happen.  Again, we’re just a simple CMS site, nothing fancy, but I prefer to stay on top of this in the event Weaver II Pro suddenly stops working with ongoing WordPress updates. ;-(

Regards,

David

scrambler

These look pretty close, at this point, you just need to take each item that is not 100% and post for some help with specific about what needs to be changed and how

Starting with the border on the menu bar, add the rule below in Main Options > Menus > Primary Menu Bar > MEnu Bar BG CSS+ box

{border-top:2px solid maroon;border-bottom:2px solid maroon;}

Dave
    Participant

Hi Scrambler-

That worked perfectly, as always. I prefer the font be a tad larger (to match the current site).  Speaking about fonts, if we can look into this section, it seems they don’t match (site wide) even though I selected “inherit” for practically all of them.

If you like, we can tackle different segments at a time, and I’ll gladly donate for your time and valued assistance.  Before moving forward, do I need to upgrade to Pro for what we have, or will the baseline suffice (no problem if an upgrade is necessary to achieve the desired end result).

David

Dave
    Participant

Purchased  pro, can’t seem to download, and can’t paste the proof of purchase here. 🙁

Weaver
    Keymaster

Please see Weaver Plus Installation Instructions

Pay special attention to the red text in step 2 and how to get your download.

Dave
    Participant

Thanks Mr. Weaver.  I was able to download and install the Pro Plugin.  Unfortunately for me, my level of competence with themes is somewhat limited so I’m still unable to mirror our main site.  I even have Weaver II Pro and Xtreme Pro open (admin) side-by-side to see if I can make changes to make them alike with no avail.

For example.  The main site remains as seen in the desktop on all mobile devices, regardless of size.  It just resizes itself (smaller menu bar, etc., but the layout in identical.  The Xtreme version doesn’t show mobile (that I can find), and so it defaults to this little window you select and the menu opens from there (not what out viewing audience wants).  I’ll keep trying on my end, and if nothing else I got to see the full version of Xtreme.  The layout is different than Weaver II Pro, but I suppose that’s to be expected with progress.

Anyway, if I can’t get Xtreme to look like our Weaver II Pro site, do you feel (based on what we’re using it for) the Weaver II Pro will just suddenly stop working?  I don’t mind the $40 bucks spent, even if it doesn’t meet our needs, it was worth it to see what potential it has, and it certainly has it for folks who understand how to make the best use of its capabilities.

Regards,

David

Weaver
    Keymaster

Weaver Xtreme should not produce a much different layout for mobile. To see how it should work, shrink the width of your browser on this site and see how things adjust. Note how the sidebar even splits with the login at the top and the rest after the content.

scrambler

If I go to http://cdvps.org/beta/  and reduce the size of the browser, the menu bar will eventually change to the slide open menu, and the SIdebar stack under the content as it should.

If you are not seeing this, you may be having some caching issue.

If you are seeing this on desktop when changing browser size, but not mobile, you may have activated a plugin that messes with mobile mode. make sure you are not using any mobile plugin, and eventually deactivate all non weaver plugins to see if that fixes the issue.

You are not being specific with the fonts, are you speaking about ALL fonts or some specific areas.

The base font can be set in Main options > Wrapping Areas > Wrapper areas, and then each are can inherit or use its own.

If the default font size option dont satisfy you, with “plus” you can specify a few Custom Font sizes in main options > FOnts & Custom, and then use that custom font size anywhere you like.

As I said, just take each issue one at a time and we can help figure out the solution.

Staying on weaver II pro is not an option, sooner or later something will break for good

Dave
    Participant

Weaver/Scrambler, thank you for your response and suggestions.  If I may, I’ll list items I’m having a difficult time with in numerical order so I can tackle one line-item at a time (as suggested).  These items are all important so I humbly thank you for your time.

1. Mobile View:  I prefer the site to look the same/consistent on all devices regardless of device size.  If you view the original site on a phone or tab, you’ll see it looks identical to the desktop (just smaller).  We prefer not to have the “side open menu” or “sidebar.”
    2. Fonts:  I’m trying to achieve the same font as seen in the original site for consistency throughout.  I can always change a font size as I post, or create a new page.
    3. Menu:  I was unable to make all the menu items fit (as in the original site), so I removed “About” and placed it as a sub menu under “Contact.”  I prefer the menu not wrap as device sizes change (same as on the original site)
    4. Spacing or wrapping:  It appears the site doesn’t constrain the content within the content area for certain items.  For example, if you look at the about us page under contacts and compare it to the original, you’ll see the text runs off the right side of the page.  Seems to be having a padding issue?  Even if you look at the home page, you’ll see the text and slideshow are up against the edge of the page compared to the original.
    5. Secondary Menu Lost:  It appears the secondary menu for Neighborhood Services has disappeared.  I created a secondary menu titled “ns” and that menu is replaced by the original menu.  I added this code to the page for the secondary menu to appear but it’s gone: [weaver_extra_menu wrap='wrap_class' menu='ns' style='stylename' width='width_override' css='extra_css']
    6. You can see wrapping throughout the site is skewed (here are just a few) all the beta site pages are not centered as in the original:
      1. http://cityofbonitaspringscd.org/zoning
      2. http://cdvps.org/beta/zoning
      3. http://cityofbonitaspringscd.org/about-us
      4. http://cdvps.org/beta/about-us
      5. http://cityofbonitaspringscd.org
      6. http://cdvps.org/beta

Finally, I disabled and re-enabled all plugins (I only use three, the remaining are all Weaver recommended for this theme) and the same holds true.  I will say all our forms, the about us page, etc depend on a cloud database product we use and embed on our site.  I’m hopeful this plug-in works as with Weaver II Pro as this is a product we definitely need.

I’m also considering backing up the original site and reinstalling again in the /beta directory.  When I couldn’t get the “base xtreme theme” to work I experimented with other themes (One being layers https://www.layerswp.com) and the site takes forever to update (spins endlessly) to the point of me having to shut down and come back minutes later to gain access to the control panel.  Maybe the database became corrupted?  Not sure.  Which brings me to my final question .. I have since upgraded to Xtreme Pro

Once/if the above can be fixed to the point where we need it to be, how do I take it to the live site?  Will this require a license extension?  Different domain?

Thank you for your time and help.  Perhaps we can address the line items one at a time as suggested. (fingers crossed)

Regards,

David

scrambler

1- I guess you had deactivated te Mobile view on Weaver II pro. Xtreme is fully responsive and you cannot deactivate the mobile view.

If you do not want a responsive site that optimizes its Layout for Mobile, then stay on the old Weaver II pro as long as you can, Xtreme is not for you

For the record, I think your original site doe not look good on mobile.
    The sidebar is ridiculously small, and the menu bar on several lines does not look great, and takes a lot of precious vertical space.

But if this is what you want, stay with it 🙂

Dave
    Participant

Hi Scrambler-

Thank you for the response and valued feedback.  You’ve always been a tremendous help and certainly know your stuff, so I respect your post. I also welcome your assistance (if you’re wiling to offer it) on ways to make this site work with evolving technology as the Internet excels forward.  This is one of the reasons I upgraded to Xtreme Pro, so I could mirror our existing site as closely as possible.  That’s not to say my design is top notch (as you have pointed out), so I welcome feedback on ways to improve from those (like you), you have the knowledge and coding skills I can only hope for.

And so, you will see I made some progress as follows:

• Had to place the about us page as a sub-menu under contact to make the menu fit without wrapping.
    • Managed to find admin section which deal with layout/padding and made adjustments to make everything fit (well, almost everything).  Now I have to replicate that and I can’t seem to remember how I did it. 😉
    • Font size is nice and good size (looks clearer on my iPad too)

I would like to see if the following can be tweaked:

1. Widget containing posts (titled recent announcements).  I’m trying to see of there’s a way to add some separation between each line-item so that don’t appear to squished together vertically.
    2. There’s a small thin white separation line between the widget and footer.  I have “flow color to the bottom” in settings

I’ll continue to work on it as time progresses.  Don’t get me wrong, I like the product, always have, always will.  I was just trying to make an exact match so our viewing customers won’t get confused when the change happens.  However, after viewing the page on an iPad Pro, it looks just the same, on a regular iPad in landscape mode it looks the same, and truth be told, I doubt many will look at massive .PDF files, or download applications, etc., on a tiny mobile device, so the majority of our viewers on going to come from desktops, laptops and pads.

In closing, I welcome your feedback, tips and advice on how to design the site to it’s responsive and most efficient on small (phone) devises.  You know your code, and your knowledge of layouts, design and what’s out there today far exceeds mine.  So again, if you’re willing to help, I’ll do whatever it takes on my end to make this work and will gladly donate for such assistance.

Best,

David

Weaver
    Keymaster

RE: licensing. The Weaver Xtreme licenses are counted on a per URL basis. You are allowed development sites as needed. But ONLY sites with a registered id will get automatic updates. You can move licenses from your dev site if you registered it. See:

http://shop.weavertheme.com/support/manage-your-weaver-xtreme-plus-license/

Dave
    Participant

Thank you Mr. Weaver. It’s good to know I can develop and move to the live site. Yes, I registered the beta site, but once I have it where it needs to be I’ll make the switch.

Question: Will I need to make the adjustments all over again, or do I upload the new theme, install the plus plugin then save and download settings from the beta site and import them on the live site?

Weaver
    Keymaster

That is the way to do it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.