Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Legacy Interface

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    laura
    Participant

@weaver

I was just reading about a new version of Weaver V5 in one of the forum announcements which will be released soon.

What I’m concerned about is the removal of the legacy interface.
    You mentioned that there is no migration necessary between the current version of Weaver and version V5.

How is this going to work if a Weaver site was created using the legacy interface years ago? I’m not totally familiar with the customizer. So if I need to make modifications in the future on a site that used the legacy interface, will I be able to make all necessary changes I need to make with the customizer?

Will there be any documentation to explain the differences between the current version and V5?

How accurate will the customizer be in terms of all the options that were used in the legacy interface?

scrambler

The customizer has the exact same options as the  Legacy admin, and they are interconnected.

If you change an option on one side, it is changed on the other.

Using one or the other is just a matter of how the options are presented, not about the options themselves.

laura
    Participant

Thanks, Scrambler.

So the legacy settings are carried over automatically to the customizer including the custom css?  Is there anything I need to do when version 5 comes out?

laura
    Participant

I logged into one of my sites to familiarize myself with the customizer and on the left panel it says,

“Weaver Xtreme Customizer Options Disabled”

Is that an error?

scrambler

Yes when you change an option, it is reflected on both side. Customizer and legacy are just two different user interfaces on top of a single set of options. So you will have nothing to do when V5 comes out.

Regarding the site where it is disabled, you must have disabled it. There is an option for that in Advanced Options > Admin options > Disable Xtreme Customizer interface.

I suggest you start visiting and using the Customizer, that will make things clearer, and will make you get comfortable with it. Beware, the first time you enter the customizer, Check what interface level is set, and make sure it is set at FULL so all the options are exposed.
    this is found at

Customizing ▸ General Options & Admin > Set Options Level

Keep in mind that right now the Customizer is organized By WHAT (colors, layouts…) then WHERE (header footer…) when the Legacy is organized by WHERE then WHAT.  But in version 5, the customizer will have both modes available, so that it will be as familiar to search option in the WHERE then WHAT customizer interface as it is in the Legacy Admin.

Finally, in the same way you should never open more than one Legacy option page at a time as they would overwrite each other, you should not open the customizer and the legacy Admin at the same time.

Weaver
    Keymaster

The release of Weaver Xtreme 5 has been delayed a bit due to the fact I was injured skiing, and I can’t really sit for long at my development computer.

There are a few BIG changes in Version 5:

1. The Legacy Interface is being removed. This is mostly because it was making it very hard to add new options and features. The now standard Customizer interface saves options in a different way, and it was just getting too difficult to reliably make it so that the Legacy interface saved all the values in the same way. In addition, due to improvements in WordPress, the Customizer has become much faster, so the speed difference between the two is very small now.
    2. The Customizer interface has had the options organized in a “What” order – Version 5 also has a “Where” organization that is very close to the Legacy interface.
    3. A small number of obscure options are being deprecated – they will not be supported in future versions, but are for now. These options have been moved to their own Customizer menu to emphasize that they well be obsolete. Many of these options are being removed because of the current support for diferent alignments (full, wide, normal) that handle full width and wide areas much better because of better HTML support that was not available in older versions of Weaver.

The actual option settings are unchanged – they are saved in the same format in the same places – either in the WP database, or in the downloadable saved settings. But now the Legacy interface with its limitations will no longer be a barrier to some new options. Mostly the restrictions are due to the differences between how the Customizer and the old Legacy “WP settings” interface handle verification of option values.

The HUGE advantage of the Customizer is that it shows the results of changing values in a WYSIWYG fashion without having to keep a copy of you site open in a different browser window.

laura
    Participant

@weaver

I’m so sorry to hear about your injury. Please feel better soon.

In the meantime, I will review the customizer to get more familiar with it since I will need to depend on it starting with version 5.

If I have any further questions about it since I never used the customizer (only the legacy), I will post them here.

@scrambler

You were right about that error I told you about. I enabled the customizer and then I set the options level at full.

Where it says, “Advanced Options > Admin options > Disable Xtreme Customizer interface” do I need to uncheck that box on each of my sites before I install version 5?

scrambler

It should not matter, as I suspect the option will be retired

laura
    Participant

@scrambler

For some reason, I cannot exit the customizer without getting an error after trying to make a change. I am able to press publish, but the only way I saw to exit the customizer is to press “x” at the upper left column. I’m getting:

Sorry, this page doesn’t exist.
    Please check the URL or go back a page.
    404 Error. Page Not Found.

It does not make the change. So I just go back, but I can’t exit it.  What am I doing wrong? I see no other way to exit the customizer.

Update:

I find that I can exit if I press the arrow in the upper left corner of the left column, but I have to go all the way back to the beginning of where the settings start. If I go back right after publishing a specific update, the “x” goes to the “site name url/admin” which is probably a bug.

scrambler

After you click publish, the way to exit the customizer is to click the \”X” at the top left.

@weaver
    may have some idea of why you would get this error when clicking the X.

Is that something you can reproduce if you follow the simple sequence below

• Click Appearance > Customize
    • Click Colors
    • Click Wrapping Areas
    • Click Site background color and change the color.
    • Click Publish
    • Click the “X” at top left to exit
    scrambler

Also, Paste here the content of the System Info box for the Help option page

laura
    Participant

@scrambler

I find that I can exit if I press the “x” in the upper left corner of the left column, but I have to go all the way back to the beginning of where the customizer settings start after making a change. If I press “x” after publishing a specific update, it goes to the “site name url/admin” which is a bug. It does not take me to the correct url when I try to exit right after the update.

It takes me to https://clientswebdesigns.com/admin instead of https://clientswebdesigns.com/blog12

but if I go back to where the customizer starts, it will take me back to the correct url if I press “x” from there.

### Weaver System Info ###

— WordPress Configuration —

Site URL: https://clientswebdesigns.com/blog12
    Home URL: https://clientswebdesigns.com/blog12
    Multisite: No
    Version: 5.7.1
    Language: en_US
    WP_DEBUG: Disabled
    WP Memory Limit: 40M
    Permalink: /%postname%/
    Show On Front: page
    Page On Front: Home (ID# 6)
    Page For Posts: (ID# 0)
    Current Theme: Weaver Xtreme (4.4.7)
    Post Types: post, page, attachment, revision, nav_menu_item, custom_css, customize_changeset, oembed_cache, user_request, wp_block

— Weaver Xtreme Configuration —

Weaver Xtreme Version: 4.4.7
    Theme Support Version: 4.4.5

— Server Configuration —

Operating System: Linux
    PHP Version: 7.4.16
    MySQL Version: 5.6.41
    jQuery Version: 3.5.1
    Server Software: Apache

— PHP Configuration —

Local Memory Limit: 256M
    Server Memory Limit: 256M
    Post Max Size: 516M
    Upload Max Filesize: 512M
    Time Limit: 30
    Max Input Vars: 1000
    Display Errors: N/A

— WordPress Active Plugins —

Akismet Anti-Spam: 4.1.9
    Classic Editor: 1.6
    Easy Theme and Plugin Upgrades: 2.0.1
    Fast Secure Contact Form: 4.0.56
    Image Widget: 4.4.7
    SSL Insecure Content Fixer: 2.7.2
    Weaver Xtreme Theme Support: 4.4.5

— WordPress Inactive Plugins —

Advanced Editor Tools (previously TinyMCE Advanced): 5.6.0
    Weaver II Theme Extras: 2.3.1
    Weaver Show Posts: 1.5.1

### End System Info ###

scrambler

I am not sure what is going on with your installation…

When I Open appearance on the dashboard, the URL I see is

https://SiteURL/folderInstall/wp-admin/themes.php

And so when I close the customizer it goes back to that URL.

Can you tell us what is the URL you see when you click on Appearance?

Note: You no longer need the “Easy theme and plugin upgrade” Plugin, as the functionality is now part of WordPress

laura
    Participant

@scrambler

I don’t know what happened, but it appears to be working now. I was making changes to the footer html copyright information when this problem happened and I’m having trouble recreating the problem. I’ll keep trying.

laura
    Participant
    scrambler

Make sure you don’t have several admin pages open at once!!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.