Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme I’ve broken my sidebar and content widths

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    nstratman
    Participant

On my development site http://www1.christmastreefestivals.org/ the layout has altered and I can’t see why. I was browsing around the Xtreme+ settings to see if there is a straightforward way to create full width content on larger monitors (I’ve now seen a forum question and response on that). To see how the site would look I began by altering the theme width to be a little wider at 960 px. When I checked the site the right hand sidebar now overflows the right hand content edge. I reverted to the default width and the problem remains. I should say at this point I can’t be 100% sure it was not already like this when I altered the theme width. I last worked on the site yesterday when I was researching and trying some plugins, but I did not make any layout changes via the Xtreme options. I’ve not previously seen this issue during the development of the site.

I’m not certain but it looks like the width of the left sidebar has increased, thus reducing the % for the right sidebar and causing overflow of the social buttons widget? (The menu in the left sidebar is a duplicate of the horizontal menu just to demo to the site owners to see which they prefer).
    Can you spot what I have done?

Thank you.

nstratman
    Participant

Further to the above, I’ve been setting up a page using a plugin to show post excerpts in a grid format. I’ve just altered the per page layout to no sidebars, and I’m getting a similar effect to the one described above:

Weaver
    Keymaster

Quick note – on the Sidebars & Layout tab, Top Widget Areas, change the Columns to 1. That will help the top widget area.

But I would say the grid format plugin you are trying to use simply is not going to work with Weaver Xtreme. Seems to be breaking widths of everything, and overflowing the right side.

As I watch your site resize as I make it narrower, I really can’t tell what is going on, but it definitely is not resizing as one would expect.

nstratman
    Participant

I’ve set the columns to 1 as you suggest, and I’ve disabled the post excerpt grid plugin which is only used on the Suffolk page above, but the issue remains. When I first used the plugin the layout was ok. But I’ve been experimenting with various plugins to find those which will meet the needs of the site, so maybe one of them is causing problems. Later when I have more time I’ll go through the plugins and do a controlled deactivate and see what happens.

nstratman
    Participant

It was the plugin LDD Directory Lite which messed up the layout. The site is essentially a directory, so I’ve been looking at various plugins to see if their business orientation can be adapted for this non-business requirement. It looks like the required functionality will only come from a premium plugin of some kind, but unless they offer a imited period trial it’s hard to make a choice without committing to buying a licence.

The post excerpt plugin at least for now isn’t causing a problem, but as I can’t show as image as part of the thumbnail I will probably abandon it anyway.
    Thanks for your help.
    Maureen
    Participant

@nstratman   A directory plugin I have used successfully is Connections

I used it to organize shops in a small mall.
    nstratman
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestion – I had a look at Connections. The main problem for me is that I couldn’t see how i could change the labels for the forms. The entity for each directory entry is not a business but a christmas tree festival, wherethe focal point premise is usually a church. So I need to be able to fully configure the forms headings and the resulting output. Also annoyingly the plugin only accepts images from a file upload, not from the media library.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.