Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Is it worth it to pay 30 hrs to convert Weaver II Pro to Xtreme Plus?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    liveandgrow
    Participant

I bought Weaver XTreme plus and tried to convert it. Am not technical but built my site with Waeaver II Pro while in Website Creation Workshop. It looked like garbage, so I’ve put out bids on ELance. They say it will take 30 hrs to convert!! Is it worth it for the new features and use of ease going forward? Thanks, Helen

scrambler

Hard to say without seeing the site, but Did you read and follow this thread?

http://forum.weavertheme.com/discussion/11303/converting-a-weaver-ii-pro-or-aspen-site-to-weaver-xtreme

Weaver
    Keymaster

I don’t think it is moral to charge for learning time for a service.

So, anyone familiar with WordPress, and themes, and able to read the instructions in the post @scrambler mentioned should be able get the basic conversion done in a couple of hours at the most. Seriously. 30 hours is an outrageous bid.

But what do you really mean “it looked like garbage”? A conversion should get almost any but very customized sites 95%+ of the way there, often even 100%. So perhaps you did something wrong with the conversion process? As noted in the tutorial, the best way would be to do the conversion on a test site – likely on a subdomain site.

But if you were able to get a site looking how you looked after a single workshop, then you should be able to tweak a converted site pretty easily – it just should not be that hard.

If you do that, and provide the old and new links, we can probably help with the tweaking to get the sites to match.

But – if you are happy with your current look, and don’t plan extensive site redesign or tweaking, then there is no particular reason to put the effort into a conversion. If you want to refresh your site’s look and design, it is a great time to convert.

liveandgrow
    Participant

That’s what I thought, also! I got overwhelmed with that thread listed above. I installed X but my Header graphic disappeared and my widgets scrambled. It’s been two years since I built my site with Weaver II Pro during Christina Hills’ Website Creation Workshop which has handouts and videos step-by-step and live calls. I loved Weaver after reviewing so many Premium themes, and was the only one in the class who bought it. So no one helped me set it up. But two years later, I can’t remember all I knew then. I’m a psychotherapist and author, and non techie. figured someone on ELance who works with WP daily could more easily set X up for me. My site is http://www.LiveandGrow.com. I uninstalled X and put II Pro back on. I don’t know what a subdomain is. I have other URLs that I’m not using that point to my main site. Is this what you mean? I am hosted by Blue Host. Maybe they could help me with setting up a subdomain.

Weaver
    Keymaster

There should be plenty of web help on setting up a subdomain – it is trivial with BlueHost – once you find the right buttons to click on cPanel. Create a subdomain, wait a while (maybe a few hours) for the address to propagate to the DNS servers, use there quick install to install WordPress, and then use a plugin to move the main site to the subdomain – there is an article in our FAQ on moving a site.

Skippy
    Participant

Nonsense.  I build WordPress sites for other people, I use only Weaver themes, and in fact am right now finishing up converting one of my personal Weaver II sites to Weaver X.  It took me about 3 hours as I was experimenting along the way.

I have built entire website, starting with installing WordPress, setting up and configuring the theme and all the plugins, setting up analytics, setting up Jetpack, face to face client meetings, explaining to the client why I will not use Comic Sans as the primary font on the website, putting all the client’s content on the site  and goofing off in less than 30 hours.

In no way will converting your site to Weaver X take 30 hours. 

liveandgrow
    Participant

Thanks. I just spent some time with Blue Host and copied the content and installed X. The subdomain is test.liveandgrow.com and my real site with II Pro is http://www.LiveandGrow.com. Weaver Moderator, could you please, pls. help with tweaking it so it looks identical?

liveandgrow
    Participant

The Header graphic is gone, the menus and widgets are scrambled., my posts don’t have the pix nor links, etc.

scrambler
    liveandgrow
    Participant

I should say that there is nothing custom in my site. Thanks again!

scrambler

??

Weaver
    Keymaster

When you change themes, WordPress will “forget” the settings for the header images and widgets used in the previous theme. This is life when using WP.
    They are still there – the headers are at least in the media library, and the widgets will be found in the inactive widgets list on the widgets admin page.

These have to be reset manually – for all themes.

liveandgrow
    Participant

Thanks. But my Posts don’t display any of the pix, links, etc.

liveandgrow
    Participant

Sorry, Scrambler. Our posts crossed. I am not technical, so I will print out all that info and work on it Fri when I’m off work. Thanks.

liveandgrow
    Participant

One question. How do I get the More tag off in my blog post settings? I had it off w Weaver II Pro but XTreme put it back in. That’s why my pix and links don’t show anymore in my test site

Weaver
    Keymaster

@liveandgrow,

I’m really a bit confused about what is or is not being displayed, but from your last two posts, it seems to be what you are seeing is the EXCERPT of posts. The excerpt never shows any formatting, images (pix?), links, but will have the More message (and it is pretty essential to show that for excerpts if you don’t want to drive your visitors crazy).

So it sounds like you want the full post to show, but are showing excerpts. See the “Excerpts / Full Posts” section of the Main Options : Post Specifics tab.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.