Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Is it necessary to create a child theme for updates?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    inprogress85
    Participant

Is it necessary for me to create child themes for upcoming changes to themes?  Or will the updates not screw up my present theme?  Thanks..(As you can see, I am new to this.)

Weaver
    Keymaster

Child themes are an advanced technique used if you need to alter the behavior of standard theme files (for any theme). You should never, ever modify the original theme’s files – but create a child. Very few people need to do that. Child themes allow you to alter code in the original theme in a way that allows the theme to be updated, yet preserves the changes you made in the child theme.

But we are talking about files, not settings. If you are just using standard themes options, then updates won’t change anything with your settings.)

inprogress85
    Participant

I think I understand what you are saying…for example if I get a notice that there is an update for my theme from 1.2.2 to 1.2.4..do I need a child theme to do this?

Weaver
    Keymaster

I suspect the answer you need is – NO, you don’t need a child theme UNLESS you’ve directly edited a file from the existing version of the theme. That is a HUGE no-no, but sometimes ignorant plugin authors will tell people to do exactly that – modify a file in a theme. That should never never never be done. That is when one needs a child theme.

inprogress85
    Participant

Thanks a lot, weaver. So all I need to do to make the necessary changes to weaver ii, update  2.2 etc..is to install the Weaver ii theme extras plugin and follow instructions…no child theme needed..

scrambler

All settings including Custom CSS you put in the admin pages survives any updates.

As a regular precaution, always save and backup your settings first using the Save / restore page SAVE button and Download All settings option

inprogress85
    Participant

This is my first time doing this. I have not made any custom css…Thanks for all your help.  I am especially happy that I do not have to create a child theme, this is waaay beyond my technical capabilities.  Appreciate the help.

Bobthearch
    Participant

The best part about WeaverX is that child themes are generally unnecessary.  The WeaverX interface is designed with special areas for inserting custom code where it will be preserved through WP updates.
    It seems as if most other themes and some plug-ins expect users to create child themes, a process that is rather complicated and unsupported by WordPress.

Weaver
    Keymaster

@Bobthearch

Your last point is one that I have a huge philosophical difference with what seems to be the majority opinion of those in charge of WP.org. That idea – create child themes – is EXACTLY what they want. There seems to be a philosophy to only allow professionals to create highly customized sites – usually via very complex CSS and child themes.

The whole point of Weaver is to allow highly customized sites using checkbox options. Designers with more experience can add custom CSS pretty easily, and the real experts can build child themes, but it is almost never necessary at all.

But because of the philosophical differences, Weaver has always been treated with some disdain by may of the mail power brokers at WP. Quite unfortunate.

Bobthearch
    Participant

Another big advantage of entering custom code in the WeaverX Options panel instead of directly editing the WordPress files, it’s easy to find the user-created code again and undo it / re-do it / modify it.  All without any ‘permanent’ changes or potential damage to the WordPress template files.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.