Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme iPad Responsive Design

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    johnmgerst
    Participant

Good day. I am pretty much complete with my theme and home page design at gottagrowit.ipage.com/public_html but it seems I have not yet been able to make a design that is responsive on an iPad. The video box on the top right is squished to about half the height on the iPad. Is there a Weaver Xtreme feature where I can make the video box the same proportion as on the desktop version?

Thanks.

Weaver
    Keymaster

Well, there are quite a few things wrong with you page.

You are using the Per Page code to insert some <script>/<style> stuff, and that has an incorrect <head> / </head> section. That might or might not be relevant.

As far as the video goes, you are apparently self-hosting that using a plugin (I’m guessing).

At any rate, the code that it generates is beyond my level of “instant” understanding, and because it is using somewhat unconventional code to display the videos, that puts it beyond the level of support we are able to provide.

Most modern browsers don’t need the level of complexity that is used to show your video.

But I’m guessing that the issue is with the video plugin not properly displaying on an iPad. You will need to contact the plugin authors to find out how to get full responsive support for iPads. It is somewhat surprising that it doesn’t do it already, but on the other hand anything that tries to support several video formats all at once, including .swf, is probably a bit out of date in today’s more dynamic web.

Weaver Xtreme uses a script called FitVids (widely used by many themes and plugins) for responsive video. It works for YouTube, Vimeo, and several other video formats, but apparently not whatever you plugin sends to an iPad.

I would recommend that you use YouTube or Vimeo if possible. Vimeo offers more options to restrict the “junk” that shows after the video has played. But both have essentially universal compatibility, and your site won’t be bogged down serving video.

johnmgerst
    Participant

Weaver, Thanks for the tip on the <script>/<style> stuff. I had some issues there, too and will address fixing it later. The video answer makes sense to me. I had really liked the idea of controlling our opening welcome video from the server thereby eliminating any YouTube junk whatsoever. I’ll look into Vimeo. I’m using Amazon S3 and Youtube at other locations on the site. Maybe I can find a way to use Amazon S3 with a different delivery method (other than the plugin I am using now).

Weaver
    Keymaster

Also consider VideoPress ($60/yr): http://videopress.com/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.