Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme home page is one column, but all others are full page.

Topic Resolution: Answered
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Answered
    dskirk
    Participant

I am using Xtreme theme, latest version, at https://davidsplace.org/  I am experimenting with changing my theme to one of your subthemes, Magazine. I like it, but the post on home page is one column, while all other posts appear as desired. I spent the past two hours searching for an option to show home page normally, but I cannot find it. I’m guessing it’s something simple, but I am lost in finding it. Any tips or help will be much appreciated.

I also would like the info bar to include category, e.g., home>categoryname>postpage, but I cannot locate the option to set. If that is doable, I will appreciate any assistance on making that change. Thank you.

david

dskirk
    Participant

UPDATE. I just clicked ON the setting for  full page for first post. The wording seemed backward (to me), but that FIXED the issue of first post for me. Any tip on setting category on info bar will be well received. Thanks, much. Xtreme is fabulous.

david

scrambler

The breadcrumbs in the info bar give the path to the page, not the path to the content on the page.

I have no idea if it could be possible to do what you want.

Note that you are using the default WordPress blog page as your home page, and that page cannot be customized by the theme.

If you want full control over your home page, you should use a page with posts instead.

The way to do that is explained in the article below

Your Site’s Home Page – Weaver Xtreme Guide (weavertheme.com)

Come back if you have more questions

dskirk
    Participant

THANKS. That was helpful. My problem now is that HOME is third entry from left on menu and I cannot figure how to get it as leftmost entry. Please advise.

On the info bar, I have a ‘sandbox’ site at https://davidskirk.org/davidsplacetest/ and when I click a recent post from sidebar, it links to it and shows the category in the breadcrumb list. That’s what I would  like, if possible. Again, thanks for your help.

david

scrambler

To have full control over your menu, you need to create a WordPress custom Menu in Appearance> Menu

There you can select which items / pages show up on the menu bar, in what order and in what hierarchy if wanting sub menu items.

Once you create your menu, you need to allocate the menu to either Xtreme Primary menu bar or Secondary menu bar (depending if you want it below the header or at the top of the site)

Once you have selected the allocation at the bottom of that page, save the menu.

Regarding the info bar, when you are on a single post page, WordPress shows the path to the page.

But your home page / blog page shows all the posts, and even if the page shows only the latest one first, this is not the same.

You may want to look for plugins that allow to customize the breadcrumbs, may be one would allow to do what you want

Best Answer
    dskirk
    Participant

This reply has been accepted as the best answer.

You have been a HUGE help and I do appreciate it. I have had that blog for years and never had the home page set properly. This has brightened my day. Thanks again.

david

scrambler

There is one problem with the way you have set the posts options.

You asked for 1st post to be one column, and others to be on two columns.

but you have WordPress set to show only one post per page, therefore on pages after the first page you see a single post in a half page column because these pages are set to show in two columns, but they only show a single post.

If you wanted the first page to be one post in a single column and other pages to be two posts in two columns, I don’t know a way to do that with the base options, may be @weaver will have a suggestion.

One thing that may work, would to use the weaver showposts plugin shortcode.

Using that you could try the following.

Create the home page using the default template.

Create two show post filters.

• The first one set to show a single post in one column
    • The second one set to show all posts in two columns, but skip post number one

Then in the page content, add the first showpost shortcode, then add a “page break” block, then add the second shortcode

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.