Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Highlight menu with tab key

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  MikeDrum 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

MikeDrum
    Participant

Hi Guys,

I might be missing something here, but is there an option or is it possible when using the tab key on keyboard to highlight the menu items?

For accessibility reasons.

Thank you!

scrambler

No idea, may be @weaver will have more insight.

Are you saying that when hitting the Tab key it would highlight the current menu item, or navigate through the menu items?

Weaver
    Keymaster

That is not standard browser behavior. Even if it were possible, it would not be a good idea to implement since literally no one would expect such behavior.

There are operating system and browser options available to allow better access to browser content via the keyboard, but all of that is mostly independent of a website or particular menu implementation.

MikeDrum
    Participant

Hi Scrambler, that’s exactly it yes. When pressing tab key it would act like a hover over menu icon.

Hi Weaver, If you’ve heard of the recent case “Supreme Court lets blind man sue Domino’s over website”, accessibility seems to be a bit of a hot topic now.
    I agree operating systems provide enough tools and don’t quite understand the above but hey ho.
    Just wondered, if possible, if this was an option or a way of doing it.

scrambler

When pressing tab key it would act like a hover over menu icon

Which is it ??

hitting the Tab key would highlight the current menu item

or

hitting the Tab key would navigate through the menu items

scrambler

@weaver, I found this series of pages which may or may not be related to the question at hand

https://www.w3.org/WAI/tutorials/menus/

There are also plugin

https://wplift.com/wordpress-accessibility

But I know you have built in support, is there a description of what is built in?

MikeDrum
    Participant

Long day sorry, hitting tab key would navigate through the menu items.

So press tab once then “Item 1” would action hover, pressed again it would action hover on “Item 2” and so on.

At the moment hitting tab just shows the link information box in the bottom left.

Only curious if this was possible to do, not even sure if it’s a requirement for accessibility rules.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.