Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Header Area: How to put logo at top, then primary menu, then header image?

Topic Resolution: Resolved

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Miriam 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Miriam
    Participant

In the header area, I want my logo centered at the top, then the primary menu, then my header image. I haven’t found a way to do this, as the primary menu is either on top or under the header image.

My test site is http://mirsites.com/test-joyrenc/

Wordpress 4.7.5
    Weaver Xtreme 3.1.5
    Xtreme Plus 3.0

Thanks for your help.

scrambler

Do not use the header widget area for your logo, use Advanced options > HTML Insertion > Header Top or Pre header box

Below is a reference article for layout questions

https://guide.weavertheme.com/layout-and-html-insertion-areas/

FYI, you are running outdated versions!

Theme and theme support plugin are at 3.1.8 and Plus is at 3.1.1

Miriam
    Participant

Thanks for your fast response @scrambler. I was hesitating to update to WordPress 4.8 because I read what @weaver posted about the problem with WP 4.8 text widgets. So held off with Weaver updates as well, until now.

So, I’ve now updated Weaver Xtreme theme and support plugin to 3.1.8, BUT with updating the Weaver Xtreme Plus plugin I got this error message:

Update Failed: Download failed. Unauthorized

Fatal error: Cannot use object of type stdClass as array in /home4/joyous1/public_html/test-joyrenc/wp-admin/includes/plugin-install.php on line 500

I have a license that is good til June 2018 and this is one of the 5 activated sites I use it on.

What do you suggest?

scrambler

This sounds like a wordpress error in the plugin installation process.

I would try to:

• Disable then delete the Plus plugin completely
    • Redo the latest WordPress Update from the dashboard > update
    • Download a fresh  version of the Plus plugin latest version from your weaver account
    • Reinstall the Plus plugin from scratch.

Miriam
    Participant

You suggest I upgrade to WP 4.8?  I’m concerned that will make a mess of my text widgets, as explained here:  https://www.blogaid.net/wordpress-4-8-text-widget-meltdown/

Re: putting my logo on top… your suggestion worked perfectly. Thanks @scrambler!

Weaver
    Keymaster

The text widgets have not been fixed yet. It is such an awful problem, I can’t understand why they haven’t done something yet.

A safe, but perhaps tedious solution is to use the new text widget replacement plugin and convert all of your old text widgets to the new one in the plugin.

If you search, there area ways to edit the database from phpMyAdmin to change all the text widgets to the new replacement one.

But if you use a lot of different text widgets, it might be worth waiting a bit more for 4.8.1. But given it has taken this long, there are no guarantees they will fix it right.

Very disappointing response from WP developers.

Weaver
    Keymaster

Follow up:

The apparently have “fix” (not a good one, in my opinion) in 4.8.1 (no release date yet scheduled) that will detect if html was added in the old text widget and then switch to text mode, and give you a nice big warning that you should really move all that code to a new HTML widget to be added.

For some reason, the WP developers just don’t seem to understand that there are at least tens of thousands of existing web sites with maintainers who don’t want to convert millions of text widgets to html widgets. They have a real problem with what has been standard WP practice over many many years to include custom HTML and script in the old perfectly good text widget. And they simply refuse to give even a tiny admission that they really screwed up.

So, if you have text widget with custom HTML/script code, you WILL have to convert them to a different widget eventually. So for now, the choices:

1. If you have already upgraded to 4.8,  do not open text widgets with raw HTML or script until 4.8.1. This seems to be the only easy path for anyone who upgraded to 4.8. This is what I am doing.
    2. If you’ve upgraded to 4.8, or want to, get the replacement legacy text widget, and follow the conversion hits that can be found on the web. This will leave you “stuck” using the legacy text widget forever unless you want to convert yet again to the coming HTML widget.
    3. Otherwise, wait for 4.8.1, and hope WPs hack to detect presence of HTML/script will actually work and prevent them from breaking. Then manually convert on an as encountered basis to the new HTML widget.

Miriam
    Participant

Thanks @weaver for your suggestions (and for developing this amazing theme!). I think I will wait a bit more for WP 4.8.1 and keep tweaking my test site with my current Weaver Plus 3.0 Plugin.

scrambler

@weaver, Is there any reason people could not update to Xtreme 3.1.8 and Plus 3.1.1 while NOT upgrading to WP 4.8?

Apparently @miriam tried that and got into an error while trying to install the 3.1.1 “Plus” version (see her post above)

@miriam, I was not suggesting to update to  WP 4.8, but just to redo your last WP installation (in case it was corrupted) and redo the Plus install. But I realize you may not be able to redo the last WP install if you are not on the last WP version (not sure)

Miriam
    Participant

@scrambler, I have the second last WP update, WP 4.7.5. I don’t want to update to 4.8, I would have to manually re-install WP 4.7.5 if it was corrupt. Thanks for your added comments / questions.

Weaver
    Keymaster

I just finished testing the latest versions of Weaver Xtreme (3.18), Weaver Xtreme Theme Support (3.1.8), and Weaver Xtreme Plus (3.1), and they all work just fine on 4.7.5.

It is far better to run with the latest versions of the theme and associated plugins.

I’m not sure why the update may have failed, but if the auto update doesn’t work for Plus, then a manual update certainly will.

Miriam
    Participant

Thanks @weaver. I will try the manual update for Weaver Xtreme Plus plugin.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.