This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Weaver 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

GR8FL
    Participant

I’m not sure why I would want it.

But I’m seeing a message in my WP dashboard telling me the new editor will be enabled by default in the next major release of WordPress and giving me an option to install a plugin for the Classic Editor plugin to keep using the current editor until ready to make the switch. Is this the only way to turn it off? I know with Customizer, I don’t have to use it by disabling
    through Admin option, which I have done.

Weaver
    Keymaster

I find Gutenberg way better than the classic editor. It has a small learning curve – I “got it” after an hour or two of playing, and now use it almost exclusively.

The experience with Gutenberg when used with Weaver Xtreme 4.0 is light-years ahead of any other theme because I’ve integrated full support for Gutenberg into the theme. In particular, the editing experience is way closer to WYSIWYG than TinyMCE.

But, by downloading and enabling the Classic Editor plugin, you can stay in the dark ages . Just joking – use whichever you like the best, but I’d really recommend giving Gutenberg an honest try – maybe a few hours to get over the hump. Otherwise, TinyMCE is not gone. It is in fact still there and heavily used by Gutenberg. You can always insert a “Classic Block” that is 100% TinyMCE (without Advanced TinyMCE or other plugin enhancements, however). You could always fall back to that if necessary.

Once used to the work-flow model, I’ve found it a step down to go back to TinyMCE. There is much better WYSIWYG (at least with Weaver Xtreme, or by using my Theme Support for Gutenberg plugin with other themes). And to see the potential of Gutenberg as a Page Builder replacement, see my Designer Blocks for Gutenberg for a couple of very cool Blocks that make it trivial to build pages with a couple of very common and popular web design patterns: https://wordpress.org/plugins/blocks-by-weaver/  – there are a few other block plugins as well, but some are still not well implemented.

Gutenberg is new, it still has some small issues, but is stable – you won’t lose content. (Although @scrambler has had a fairly difficult experience on his computer with Microsoft Edge, but there are no widespread reports of any particular issue with Edge.) Gutenberg has been fairly stable now for several months, and I’m guessing an October official release. But it does seem to be the future.

GR8FL
    Participant

I don’t usually use the visual editor, I use the text editor and insert html directly there.

When they say “classic editor”, they’re replacing the current visual with Gutenberg, but still leaving option to use the text editor. Is that correct?

Weaver
    Keymaster

It will be the same editor with all of its options and plugin compatibility.

It will retain the classic visual and text editing capability.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.