Home Forums Designer Blocks for Gutenberg Gutenberg – No custom fields anymore (Moderator: Not displayed without plugin)

This topic contains 14 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Weaver 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Nele
    Participant

I am using The Designer Blocks for Gutenberg, but I cannot find the custom fields anymore. There is no screen option on top of the page anymore to check them and I do not know how to get them now.

Any answer for this?

scrambler

We have had one report like this, but don’t remember the outcome.

I think a plugin was responsible, so deactivate all plugins to confirm, and if so reactivate one by one

Nele
    Participant

I have searched the forum before and the result was, that the person switched from Gutenberg to classic editor, in order to have the custom fields. But this is not what I want. Could have been, that there is another way to have them, when using Gutenberg…

scrambler

If Gutenberg is indeed the plugin that causes the problem, you need to speak with them so they can fix the problem

Weaver
    Keymaster

There really is no way to “talk” to the Gutenberg team. They are about to release the final version, and I’m sure they really aren’t responding to questions like this.

Custom Field support is not related to any block plugin. Note that Weaver Xtreme’s per page and per post options DO display. All the per page/post options are actually custom field name/value pairs.

BUT – Gutenberg does NOT support Custom Fields directly. I don’t know what is planned for WP 5.0 which is planned for release within a month, although they are getting a LOT of pressure to wait until after the holidays. This seems like it might be some sort of issue, but I think any plugins that used custom fields will have to add their own support to create values – just like Weaver Xtreme does now.

There IS a plugin that claims to add custom fields back to Gutenberg: https://wordpress.org/plugins/custom-fields-gutenberg/

scrambler

I think any plugins that used custom fields will have to add their own support to create values – just like Weaver Xtreme does now.

@weaver, are you saying that if you use Gutenberg with Xtreme you still get custom fields?

Weaver
    Keymaster

@scrambler – no. Weaver Xtreme uses “private” custom fields – ones with names that start with an underscore. These are not normally displayed in the list of custom fields from the traditional custom fields meta-box. But the significance is the custom fields are still supported, and no doubt will always be supported.

I don’t know the model now used by Gutenberg/WP, nor why Gutenberg has removed them. I do know that there have been issues with Gutenberg supporting some existing meta-boxes, and perhaps there was an issue with the custom field meta-box. But the Weaver Xtreme per page/post options meta boxes work just fine with Gutenberg. Apparently so does the Yoast SEO meta-box. And the above custom fields for gutenberg plugin adds a meta-box that functions nearly exactly the same as the old custom field meta-box. It has a few options, and will interestingly display private custom fields if you set that option. So you can then see all the private custom fields Weaver Xtreme uses to implement per page/post options.

I can speculate that WP/Gutenberg wants to reduce the visibility of custom fields. Personally, I’ve simply never understood the real use of custom fields. They seem worthless without being used by something. You can’t just create custom fields and then use their content in any useful way without the use of some plugin or another. (I do understand their usefulness to a plugin or theme when used like Weaver Xtreme.) But open, visible custom fields? Just seems like bad user interface to me. Better spelled-out options like Weaver and Yoast have. So if the WP / Gutenberg team think like that, too, then they might consider it a really good thing to make them hard to use now. That does not prevent plugins from using them for per page/post options, but they can be wrapped by reasonable options in that case. Guess they’ve been around a long time, but I think any direct access to custom fields is not overly good interface design.

Just a note – custom field name/value pairs are associated with posts and pages, and are not global entities. So there original design was to provide options for individual pages/posts.

scrambler

OK @weaver, so Gutenberg does not break the page/post option which use custom fields in the background.

But access to creation of new custom fields is lost with Gutenberg, which means people loose the ability to do per page/post HTML insertion areas which is a fairly big deal in my opinion…

Nele
    Participant

Thank you – even if the news is not what I was hoping for.

Weaver
    Keymaster

@scrambler

How does a custom field allow you to add per page/post HTML without some plugin?

scrambler

May be I was not clear, or may be I am not understanding the original issue.

Weaver Xtreme and Plus have HTML insertion areas which are “site wide” and available in Advanced options > HTML insertion areas.

If you want to use one of the Weaver Xtreme /Plus HTML Insertion areas only on a specific page or post, the way to do it (as far as I know) is by going to that page / post editing page, and creating a Custom field with the name of the HTML insertion area.

I have had a tutorial on that for ages.

https://guide.weavertheme.com/custom-fields-on-pages-and-posts-what-to-use-them-for-and-how-to-use-them/

So if Guttenberg removes access to the creation of page / posts custom fields, how could we create the Xtreme / Plus HTML insertion areas on them?

EDIT: At least activating Guttenberg does not remove the custom field created when it was not activated. This means, @nele , that as a workaround to the issue, you can deactivate Gutenberg, create the custom field with the Xtreme /Plus HTML insertion area custom field and its content, then reactivate Guttenberg.

Weaver
    Keymaster

Oh, of course. I forgot about that option. Easy solution. (Perhaps you missed it when I mentioned it earlier.)

There IS a plugin that allows add custom fields back to Gutenberg: https://wordpress.org/plugins/custom-fields-gutenberg/

Seems to work just like the original Custom Fields meta-box, but with a few nice bells and whistles. I should add it to the recommended plugins.

scrambler

Would it be hard to add it yourself?

Nele
    Participant

Good idea, thank you!

Weaver
    Keymaster

At the moment, it turns out that with the impending release of WP 5.0, which has included a bunch of new theme interface options that really must be dealt with, I now have a huge basket full of changes I need to make to Weaver Xtreme.

The most obvious visible in Weaver Xtreme 4.1 that is evident in Gutenberg 4.1 is the width of standard content in the editor. Until GB 4, the width matched the width of the theme setting, but they really made a fairly radical change in GB 4 that breaks that. The wide/full still work, but normal width content is stuck at way too narrow. And it is not a tiny fix – so I’m going need to completely change all the Gutenberg style files. It also involves making the classic editor styling a bit more efficiently merged with Gutenberg. So, it is not trivial. It involves the order in which editor style files are ordered, making previously override rules now in the wrong order so that they don’t override default rules properly. Kind of ugly/messy, but technically sensible given the full integration of GB with WP.

So trying to add a feature for custom fields to Weaver will not happen, especially given the plugin is very simple to add and does the job.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.