Home Forums Weaver Show Posts & Show Sliders Filter not properly using its Custom Taxonomy from Enhanced Media Categories

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  JayDub 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

JayDub
    Participant

I am attempting to use a plugin called Enhanced Media Categories  (EMC) by wpuxsolutions which allows me to give images a category for sorting/tagging that is stored with a taxonomy name of “media_category”.  I am trying to use this as a way to select images to show in native WordPress galleries and Weaver Xtreme Sliders.  I have this working for native WordPress galleries, but not having any luck with Weaver Sliders.

The Filter I am creating has a Custom Taxonomy parameter defined.  It appears to work on the configuration side, as the Weaver Slider plugin does recognize these EMC categories and gives me a sample of how to use them (which is a really clever feature, btw!)  However when I create a slider using this filter it does not pull any images.  It just fails.  I have adjusted the filter string to use the ID not the Slug of the new taxonomy, which the EMC plugin folks suggested, but that does not help.

If I create a default WordPress Gallery using this parameter (using squiggle bracket so it wont execute on this page)  {gallery order=”DESC” media_category=”15″} the EMC taxonomy, it works fine and the gallery is displayed as expected.

But if I then check the configuration box on the[gallery/Lightbox tab to have Weaver be the replacement for Gallery (using the default filter) then nothing shows up in the gallery and no error is reported.  A div is created when I inspect the page, but it is empty.  I have tried making other filters that use the media category but no luck

The makers of the EMC plugin suggest I look at the Possible Conflicts section on this page   – but it is beyond my skill level.  Can someone take a look at it and tell me if there is an obvious reason the weaver sliders cannot use the custom taxonomy created by EMC?

scrambler

@weaver would have to look at this one

JayDub
    Participant

Yeah, its a bit of an assignment, but if you could just spend 10 minutes looking at that conflicts page and see if anything pops out at you I would greatly appreciate it.

Weaver
    Keymaster

Actually, Show Sliders does not actually use the [gallery] code to generate its gallery. Instead, it uses the gallery short code definition itself code to retreive the ids of the images used in that gallery. The shortcode never gets executed, in fact.. It doesn’t use anything else other than the ID list. I can think of no general and easy way to interact with the [gallery] shortcode from Show Sliders.

scrambler

@jaydub

Have you tried to insert the Showpost filter shortcode in a test page to see if it displays the content properly.

We should start with trying to make that work.

JayDub
    Participant

Yes I have a Showpost filter shortcode in a test page and it can display page or post content properly, if that is what you mean.  So that all works.  It is just filtering by a custom taxonomy that if failing.

Perhaps if you can explain in more detail how the filter needs to be configured to know that it should look for media_category of an image, and not, for exampl, the id of a post?

The new custom category that I want to use is defined in the wp_term_taxonomy table and uses taxonomy=media_category.  The Weaver Filter setup GUI is aware of it, and shows me all the values I can use, but do I have to change other settings somewhere so that code can execute properly?

In other words, when I am configuring a FILTER and want it to select content by Custom Taxonomies using media_category, the filter GUI is already magically aware of the custom media_category, and reads them all and shows them to me.  So I set the custom parameter to media_category=24.  But where in the filter do I tell it that when the code executes,  it needs to be looking at media for that taxonomy instead of a post?  For example, at the top of the Filter admin page, there is an option to select Post Type, with the values it provides for me being post, atw_slider_post, wp_block, custom_css, customize_changeset, oembed_cache, user_request, and wpm-testimonial.

Do I have to somehow add a value in to this list to be “media” or some such thing?  Are there any other settings on the filter that could not be left at their default settings to get a custom filter to work?

scrambler

A filter can only select posts, that is all it can do as far as I know (@weaver may confirm).

So Weaver show slider which only works with the filters is probably not the right tool for you if you actually want to select images directly

JayDub
    Participant

Argh!  Well that would be it then.  Might I suggest that for a future update? 🙂  If I find the right slider tool I will post an update here in case anyone else wants to use a custom taxonomy.  thanks for exploring this for me.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.