Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Facebook Ignoring Featured Image and Using Header Thumbnail Instead?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dabid
    Participant

I’ve started a new blog using Weaver Xtreme, and while everything is working wonderfully for the most part, I am having a hard time getting Facebook to show links using the featured image as the preview image for a link–instead, it is using a 1:1 square thumbnail of my site header, regardless of what page I’m linking to or what I have the featured image set to. I’m totally stumped and feel like I must have done something wrong during theme setup or am overlooking something with Weaver XTreme I didn’t have to do on my old Weaver II sites.

Example: On this blog entry, my featured image is set to this. However, when Facebook scrapes the site it keeps designating the site header as the og:image featured image instead. It’s the same for all pages on the site with featured images.

When I use the Facebook Sharing Debugger, it’s giving me these two warnings below, but I don’t know why or if they’re something that’s supposed to be defined automatically or what. I’ve never explicitly defined the properties they’re talking about before on any blog:

Warnings That Should Be Fixed

Inferred Property
    The ‘og:image’ property should be explicitly provided, even if a value can be inferred from other tags.

Missing Properties
    The following required properties are missing: og:url, og:type, og:title, og:image, og:description, fb:app_id

All of my themes and plugins are up to date, and I’m using current WordPress version 5.8.1. It’s a new site with very plugins and nothing strange or complicated on it, so I just can’t figure out why it’s behaving this way.

Does anyone have any advice or tips they can share, please?

scrambler

I don’t believe the theme is involved in that, @weaver can confirm.

Usually you need an SEO plugin like Yoast SEO to have setting allowing you some control in that area.

Weaver
    Keymaster

Weaver Xtreme just generated a standard heading. What shows on FB is pretty much controlled by FB. There are plugins that can help tell FB what ato really show.

hkp
    Participant

@Dabid

I use a plugin called AIOSEO to look after this now. But once you start using it, its a bit difficult to move away from it later as you’ll lose all data you put in.

Also, FB have a minimum size for their images. I use 350×350 from which they generate a thumbnail, which is what I want on FB. If I use a larger size – which they recommend – FB will generate a large image, which I don’t want.

AIOSEO gives many options of which post/page image or url to use for FB and Twitter posts. You can also set a site default, or customize post/page by post/page.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.