Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Double hyphen (m-dash) too short

Topic Resolution: Resolved

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  songerk 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

songerk
    Participant

I’m not sure if this is a WordPress problem or theme problem, but thought I’d start here… In my blog, http://www.katiescolitisjournal.com, I often use m-dashes as punctuation–i.e., like I’ve done just now. They are typed as two consecutive hyphens (2 n-dashes), but when the blog posts are displayed, those 2 hyphens get converted to a single, extra-long line. That line is an m-dash.

Unfortunately, in Weaver Xtreme, the m-dash is too short and looks more like an n-dash, which is just a hyphen, and which thus becomes a punctuation error. For example, in this post, this happens in the sentence: “Specifics on diet vary–these two healing philosophies come from vast, diverse regions of the world–but generally, ayurveda and TCM emphasize whole and healthy foods.” I can barely see that those dashes are m-dashes. It would be easy to mistake them for n-dashes; they would be better off as either double hyphens, or, if they’re going to remain this in-between length, for space to appear around them: “Specifics on diet vary – these two healing philosophies…”

Is there any way to fix this? Do I need to change the font? Is it a WordPress issue? Thank you!

songerk
    Participant

P.S. Ha! This forum converted all my m-dashes to n-dashes in my post above! They are supposed to be twice as long, which is how I typed them.

scrambler

songerk
    Participant

Scrambler, THANK YOU!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.