Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Documentation Challenges – A Rant

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  DaRixter 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

DaRixter
    Participant

[Frustration: On]

I appreciate that Weaver has been around for a long time…

But, that Weaver has been around a long time makes looking up stuff really really challenging.

I’ve just started a new site with WP 5.x and installed the Weaver Xtreme theme.

Weaver Xtreme is touted as being “Gutenberg Compliant” but I have no idea what the differences are and what I should watch for.

I found that Weaver Xtreme now has a different public-facing theme page from even only a few months ago. It looks like it might perform a bit like TwentySeventeen… I downloaded the new screenshot.png and modified it for a child theme.

Next, I went to install the Weaver Xtreme Plus – and discovered several things.

• First, finding my account page was really difficult. My login was not intuitively obvious, but I eventually got there.
    • Next, somehow I should pay $1.10 for some unidentified upgrade to my $99 license. One Dollar!! I truly don’t mind the cost. But the upgrade appears to be optional.
      • What is it?
      • Why do I need it?
      • Is the cost per site? Is it pro-rated? If so, from when to when?
    • Next, my licenses run out at the end of the month (Jan 2019). Renewing them online looks difficult. At first glance it appears I have to put some money into a shopping cart as if I were buying new.

(Bonus: a blog on another site that I had intended to protect with passwords has somehow been indexed by Google and direct links provided to each post! But, when I drill down through the menus, it works as I set it up. I don’t even know where to begin to trouble-shoot that.)

For me, this site is a new beginning! I have a new version of WordPress with a new release of Xtreme for the new release of WP.

But there is so much old documentation with “oh… that had changed, BTW…” caveats that I don’t know what to trust. Even the YouTube videos are 1-6 years old.

Grrrrr…

[Frustration: Off]

I hope you’ll be patient with me later this month as I try to send you money.

Does anyone have suggestions about resources where I can learn about building my new site with the new stuff from Weaver and Gutenberg?

— Rick

Weaver
    Keymaster

I will try to address the $1.10 upgrade. I actually don’t know exactly how this would show, but there always is an option to upgrade to the next level of licenses (based on number of registrations allowed). That upgrade is pro-rated to your current license. So you might see a very low upgrade price right before your current license expires. Upgrades only apply to number of sites covered by a license. As long as you have an unexpired license, you will always get the access to the latest version and features.

Weaver Xtreme licensing is done using the EDD plugin, and we have to use the features it provides. All the options – number of sites, renewal, discounts, etc., are all based on a shopping cart model. So we can’t change that much. Sorry it can be confusing.

Gutenberg compatibility means that Weaver Xtreme fully supports all the features supported by the new Gutenberg Block Editor. That mostly means it has CSS rules to support all the blocks so that they match with the theme settings, and more specifically, support the new alignwide and alignfull formatting. Learning all about the features and functionality is outside of theme documentation, and is being faced by millions of WP.org users at the moment. But as the switch to Gutenberg takes place, Weaver Xtreme is ready to be sure you get all the functionality displayed properly.

I don’t know what you mean by “Weaver Xtreme now has a different public-facing theme page from even only a few months ago”. Do you mean the theme display page you get on the WP Themes repository and on the dashboard when themes are displayed? If that is what you mean, then you will find that nearly 100% of all themes have a new screenshot for the theme as WordPress recently imposed very strict new rules about what may be displayed on that screenshot. They now require strictly “lorem ipsum” type text on the screenshot – very generic with no “promotion” allowed.

scrambler

@darixter, For Xtreme Features (not Gutenberg), don’t forget the Guide

https://guide.weavertheme.com/

And if you are unsure about how to address a specific issue, just ask here.

@weaver WordPress recently imposed very strict new rules about what may be displayed on that screenshot. They now require strictly “lorem ipsum” type text on the screenshot – very generic with no “promotion” allowed.

What a bunch of knuckle heads 🙂

What harm does it do for people to use the splash screen to explain some of the theme at first sight…. It is this kind of messed up mentality that has finally pushed people to fork WordPress.

DaRixter
    Participant

[Praise]

The prompt response (30 min this time) is why I don’t mind sending $$ in your direction, and probably why I continue to struggle to use Weaver.

[/Praise]

And a struggle it is.

I hadn’t realized that WP.org had changed the requirements from the theme display page. I only knew that when I searched for it there is nothing familiar in what I found.

I still don’t understand the $1.10 upgrade, but that’s overcome (I think) by my 18-month renewal coming up in 2 weeks.

Fortunately this forum, with your prompt replies, helps overcome the confusion with the documentation. I just have to learn what questions to ask, and to ask it in your language.

— Rick

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.