Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Converting over from Weaver II Pro to Xtreme.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Norm
    Participant

I’m a huge fan of Weaver.  It’s been a blast learning wordpress, while transitioning from Weaver to Weaver II and then onto Weaver II Pro.  

I guess it’s time to move on to Weaver Xtreme.
    I have duplicated my website http://seasons-of-smiles.com/, and placed it here, http://sugrbug.com/.
    The idea is to do the theme upgrade on http://sugrbug.com/, while not disrupting our main website.  I’m sure I’ll have a ton on questions, and I’m sure I’m going to look a little slow in the process, but I have received a ton of valuable help from this forum in the past, so by throwing all my questions here, I’m sure I’ll get a better end result.
    For discussions sake, I’m sure there are a lot of great ways on duplicating websites.  I just want to give a shout out to the folks at VaultPress and GoDaddy.  It took awhile, but we were finally able to backup my website, and restore it to a different location.  I really felt like the folks at Automattic and Godaddy went the extra mile to help me duplicate my website.
    First question.
    Is there a minimal set of Weaver Plugins? In sugrbug.com I am looking at
    ATW Show Sliders Pro
    Weaver II Theme Extras
    Weaver II to Weaver Xtreme
    Weaver Show Posts
    Weaver Themes Shortcode Compatibility
    Weaver Xtreme Plus
    Weaver Xtreme Theme Support

Plus the Weave Xtreme theme.

The plugins in Blue are still active.

• Is there a minimal set of Weaver Plugins that I can use?  Which plugins do I absolutely need, and which ones can I get rid of?
    • I think I’m ready to switch themes.  But before I do, I think I need to download my Weaver II pro theme settings and upload them to Weaver Xtreme?

Oh man, this is going to be fun.  Thanks in advance for any help you may throw my way.  🙂

Weaver
    Keymaster

There really is no minimum set of plugins you must have, but, here in order of importance:

1. Weaver Xtreme Theme Support – the most significant support provided by this plugins is support for all the Per Page and Per Post options. Many people consider these options absolutely essential. They are not included directly with the theme because of requirements imposed by WordPress.org on what can be included with a theme. The plugin also provides 15 or so shortcodes, including [show_if] and [hide_if] to control display of content on different devices and different conditions. This plugin is pretty much essential.
    2. Weaver Show Posts – if you would like to use your site as a CMS, then this plugin, coupled with the Page with Posts template allows you to selectively display Post filtered by different conditions (category name, tag, order, etc) anywhere on your site.
    3. Weaver Xtreme Plus – This is our premium plugin, and provides lots of cool and powerful features. See http://plus.weavertheme.com for a description of the new features. It is not essential, but can save hours of your time if you need/want its feature for your site.
    4. Weaver Show Sliders – If you want a slide show, then this plugin has lots of options for controlling your display and is compatible with Weaver Xtreme and Weaver Show Posts.
      (Note that ATW Show Sliders Pro has been discontinued. The newest  version Weaver Show Posts (free), has all the options previously contained in ATW Show Posts Pro. Settings are compatible, and you should deactivate/delete your ATW Show Posts Pro and install Weaver Show Posts instead.)

If you are upgrading from Weaver II to Weaver Xtreme, then two other plugins are likely to be helpful.

1. Weaver Themes Shortcode Compatibility – The names of the shortcodes supported by Weaver II (e.g., [weaver_youtube], etc.) have had their names changed in Weaver Xtreme, and this plugin allows you to continue to use the old names for most of the old shortcodes with out needing to edit all your content. Not all old shortcodes are supported.
    2. Weaver II to Weaver Xtreme – this plugin will convert your old Weaver II and Weaver II Pro settings to be used by Weaver Xtreme and Weaver Xtreme Plus Plugin. The conversion is usually 95% or more complete, but some manual tweaking is almost certainly required since Weaver Xtreme is totally new, and has a different internal HTML structure, plus a bunch of really great new features that you will want to take advantage of. Once the conversion has been completed, you can deactivate/remove this plugin. More details on the conversion are available here: http://weavertheme.com/upgrading-from-original-weaver-to-weaver-ii/ and http://forum.weavertheme.com/discussion/11303/converting-a-weaver-ii-pro-or-aspen-site-to-weaver-xtreme 

Note: This answer has been added as a FAQ article: http://weavertheme.com/weaver-xtreme-plugins-which-are-needed/ which may be updated as new plugins become avaiable.

Norm
    Participant

Thank you.  So is the functionality of ATW Show Sliders Pro included now with Xtreme?

So, for what I am hoping to accomplish, I need to be focusing in on “Weaver II to Weaver Xtreme” plugin.  I will read the instructions, again.  🙂
    Weaver
    Keymaster

ATW Show Sliders Pro was essentially made free and renamed Weaver Show Sliders. It is independent of Weaver II or Weaver Xtreme. So, the current free Weaver Show Sliders available from the WordPress.org plugins page is essentially identical to ATW Show Sliders Pro, but with the newest version of the slider code, and some bug fixes. The Pro version simply was not popular enough to support a separate existence. But you lose no functionality with the new Weaver Show Sliders over the old pro version.

Norm
    Participant

Oh man, it’s dead in the water.

I saved my theme setting using Weaver II Pro.  I’m assuming they got saved on the server?
    I ran the “Waver II to Weaver” Xtreme plugin.  Below is the error message I’m getting.  Does the plugin know where the theme settings are saved, or does this only work if you download you theme settings to your computer, then upload for the plugin?

ERROR

You didn’t select a file to upload.

Weaver
    Keymaster

You have to download to you computer. Then first  select the file from the conversion screen, THEN click the convert button.

Norm
    Participant

Thanks Bruce, I am in the process of deleting the Aspen Show Sliders, and putting in the Weaver Show Sliders.

Weaver
    Keymaster

But do try to read all the instructions in the articles, plus the on-screen instructions, including what the error message says.

It is a pretty easy process, but you do have to read what all is there. I happen to be online at the moment, but am about to be away for a while, so you won’t be getting instant replies.

Norm
    Participant

The Weaver Show Sliders seems to be working fine in place of ATW Show Sliders. Thanks.

http://sugrbug.com/ seems to be working, but if I press any of the links I’m getting an internal server error, Can I back out of this, or I have I done irreparable damage, would I be better off by starting over?
    Norm
    Participant

I downloaded the theme settings and uploaded to the plugin.  I changed the theme to xTreme, just to take a peek.

Wow.  
    I’m going to reach out to godaddy, to see if they can shed any light onto why the links aren’t working.  Everything on the dashboard side seems to be working.  
    The problem maybe with the copied website.  I wished I would have pushed it a bit harder to see if it was 100% before doing the theme conversion.
    Norm
    Participant

The links are working now, thank you GoDaddy.  All the content is there still.  I messed up somewhere though.  It looks pretty bad.  I don’t think I’m getting the theme settings transferred from Weaver II pro over to Xtreme.  

I did transfer to back to the Weaver II Pro theme, it’s comforting to know that everything is reversible.
    scrambler
    Norm
    Participant

Thank you scrambler for the link.  I read through it.  It’s a bit confusing to “download” the Weaver II Pro theme to my computer, upload it for the conversion plugin, then download it again?  When I “Download” it, is that going to the server, or do I download it to my computer?  

Do I then need to upload the converted setting back up to Weaver Xtreme?  . . . chuckle . . .  Sorry, I can’t help but laugh at the situation.

Maybe that’s as close as the conversion will take me?
    Would you prefer that I take my questions to the link you sent me, or is ok to ask my questions here?
    scrambler

“Thank you scrambler for the link.  I read through it.  It’s a bit confusing to “download” the Weaver II Pro theme to my computer, upload it for the conversion plugin, then download it again?  When I “Download” it, is that going to the server, or do I download it to my computer?  “

I don’t think you understood what I said in the thread.

1-a, 1-c, 1d  is just about making a backup in case there is an issue and taking notes of certain things 

Given you have already cloned your site, you don’t need to do any of that as you still have the original of the site available for inspection.

Your process only starts at 1-c  and 1-e

Norm
    Participant

. . . getting there . . .

I’m having problems with menu and the slider on the header.

🙂
    Norm
    Participant

. . . menu . . . fixed.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.