Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme “Continue Reading” appeared with last update.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Bobthearch
    Participant

Continue Reading” links have suddenly appeared in the Feature A Page widget boxes.
    In the first row of Featured Location boxes I have limited the height, so the links are barely visible.  But in the second row, Photo Sets, the link is obvious.
    http://www.placesandpics.com

The Feature A Page Widget plugin had a recent update, but the author says the links aren’t his.
    There was also a Weaver X update around the same time, and maybe a WordPress update too.

So I’m trying to figure out what software is responsible for the new unwanted “Continue Reading” links and where to turn them off.  I’ve browsed the WordPress settings and the Weaver X theme options and cannot seem to find the setting.

Any ideas?

scrambler

Continue reading link is always there with excerpts, they have been hidden because of the fixed size of your post and box size.

To actually hide them on that page, you can add the rule below in Main options > Fonts & Custom > Custom CSS Rule box

.page-id-43 .more-link {display:none;}

Bobthearch
    Participant

The larger Feature box on the lower part of the page doesn’t have a set height though.  Maybe I have a horrible memory and they were there previously…  🙂

This worked great, entered into the Custom CSS Rules within the theme options:
    .page-id-43 .more-link {display:none;}

But this doesn’t:
    .more-link {display:none;}

Probably a basic code question, but without the page-id shouldn’t it apply to the entire website?  (I don’t need it on any other page, just curious and trying to learn something)

Weaver
    Keymaster

The .more-link has a rule in the theme stylesheet “a.more-link” which is more specific that simply .more-link, so the rule “wins”.

Changing the general replacement rule to a.more-link {display:none;} will work.

scrambler

And by the way, hour boxes do have fixed height, because if I shrink the browser, they stay the same height even when the text reflow, so you can no longer see the whole excerpt.

It is doen with an inline width:300px on the nested div that has the class panel-widget-style.

Not good 🙂

If you have plus, you would have a way to do a true responsively equalized layout.

You Could use the Page Top widget Area with all the widgets you need in it.

Using Weaver Show post plugin, you could display one post in each of the 4 posts widgets, and using the Options for the top widget area, you could define a different layout for desktop, small tablet and phones, allowing you for example to stack the posts in 4 col on desktop, but 2 col on small tablets, and 1 col on phones.
    You could finally ask for the widget height to be equalized for you 🙂

See various examples on the demo site http://demo.weavertheme.com/ 

You can read the tutorial below for more details
    http://forum.weavertheme.com/discussion/10342/weaver-xtreme-tips-and-tutorials-part-1#Item_1

Bobthearch
    Participant
    The .more-link has a rule in the theme stylesheet “a.more-link”
    which is more specific that simply .more-link, so the rule “wins”.

Changing the general replacement rule to a.more-link {display:none;} will work.

Yes, that worked as well.  I didn’t understand / know about the “a.” function.

Bobthearch
    Participant
    And by the way, hour boxes do have fixed height, because if I
    shrink the browser, they stay the same height even when the text reflow,
    so you can no longer see the whole excerpt.

I do see that now with the four smaller boxes and their fixed heights.  As I resize my browser there’s a certain point, before the box layouts change, at which text falls out of the box.  That doesn’t happen with the single larger box, which doesn’t have a set height.

You Could use the Page Top widget Area with all the widgets you need in it.

The entire Home page, as well as some other pages on the website are made from SiteOrigins Page Builder, which replaces the main content area with rows of widgets.  The entire page is widgets – the text, the feature boxes, the horizontal lines, the green buttons…
    Other pages, like this one, are created the same way.  http://placesandpics.com/locations/new-south-wales/

Here’s a page that I need to convert to Page Builder because having pics and text mixed together in the main content area sucks with WP.  Resize this page with the browser and it’s a mess:    http://placesandpics.com/locations/new-south-wales/mudgee-nsw/

Using Weaver Show post plugin, you could display one post in each of the 4 posts widgets

My website doesn’t have posts, only pages.  So the feature boxes on the home page are actually Feature A Page widgets.

A big gripe about WP in general, the entire concept is designed around
    ‘blogging’ and main content areas.  It’s only the CMS that I’m after; it I
    knew more about web coding or did this for a living I would have used
    Joomla perhaps or something else.

scrambler

If you are set on page builder and if they don’t have options for responsive widget height equalization, you need to set the height to a value that is big enough, or you could use an @media rules to change it under a certain height.

In the case of the 4 widgets, you could also (if possible with page builder ) make it switch to 2 columns on small tablet (intermediate width)

In any case, you have the info if you want to try and use the Plus widget layout options on a test page.

Not sure what specific issues you are referring to on the page that you say is a mess

Bobthearch
    Participant
    Not sure what specific issues you are referring to on the page that you say is a mess

The full-width pictures are no problem.  But scroll down the page to the smaller pictures that are side-by-side with text, the Flirtation Hill Lookout and the transition to the Wineries section.   When the browser resizes, the pictures and text don’t stay aligned.  Also, to get the pics and text aligned in the first place, there are many paragraph returns manually placed to push the next text down to the appropriate location.  This causes huge spacing gaps to appear when the browser is resized.  The use of horizontal lines can usually ‘fix’ this, but not without creating organizational / logical problems with the content divisions.

The WordPress page design method that, by default, requires every item (text, images, graphics, videos, etc.) unique to that page to all be entered into a single Main Content box makes no sense.

scrambler

1- “When the browser resizes, the pictures and text don’t stay aligned.” Not sure I follow, they are aligned, but because the image stays the same size and the text reflow, it ends up in a narrow columns on the side.

there are two solutions to this problem.

a- Give the image caption container a width in % so that it scales down with the browser and the ratio image text stays the same.

You would do that with a rule like below in Main Options > Fonts & Custom > Custom CSS Rule box

#content .wp-caption {width:50%;}

b- Or use an @media rule to make the text stack below the image under a certain browser width like the one below (use the width you want), and center the image above it

@media only screen and (max-width:800px) {
    #content .wp-caption + p {clear:both;}
    #content .wp-caption {width:100%;margin:0 auto;}
    }

2- “get the pics and text aligned in the first place, there are many paragraph returns”

This is absolutely the wrong way to do that. Remove the extra paragraph tag and post back explaining what you need and we can figure the CSS to use that will not break the mobile view

Bobthearch
    Participant
    This is absolutely the wrong way to do that. Remove the extra
    paragraph tag and post back explaining what you need and we can figure
    the CSS to use that will not break the mobile view

No doubt.  🙂
    Thanks for the offer, but I’m pretty sure that using Page Builder will be an effective solution, and it’s undoubtedly faster than learning CSS and entering custom code.  😉

Bobthearch
    Participant

Here is the page now using Page Builder with the content as text and images contained in widgets and aligned into rows.
    http://placesandpics.com/locations/new-south-wales/mudgee-nsw/

No problem with resizing that I can see.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.